Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Mrc Mods Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #1

Question Losi Mrc Mods Help

Hello everyone, I just signed up here on rccrawler.com and i could use some help. I just got a Losi MRC and would like to do some modding to it. I am not a total newb to R/C stuff but I am not a pro, so i think i could do some basic modding. I would like for my MRC to be able to climb steeper walls and be less top heavy. Any tip or suggestions that a fairly detail would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
PiLot
FuturePilot4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

you can start by doing the free mods, take out the top tray, relocate all the electronics and battery. then see what else you need.
your best bet is to spend time on here. i started like you and have picked up a great deal of info from the MRC thread.
welcome and good luck
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Free mods I have done flipped tranny,relocated all electionics, and battery on front servo. Huge diff from when I first got it.
dezslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #4

Thanks JOOZ. I have a question, how do you droop the suspension? Also what is the best way to fix the center of gravity so it tipps less?
Thanks,
PiLot
Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePilot4u View Post
Thanks JOOZ. I have a question, how do you droop the suspension? Also what is the best way to fix the center of gravity so it tipps less?
Thanks,
PiLot
honestly i have no idea on how to do droop, i changed my shocks to mini-t rears. try adding weight to you wheels.
the search button would be your best friend. it would be that 3rd thing from the right below the welcome futurepilot4u thing.
look up to your right,that one...
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #6

Just take the springs off the shocks. It will really lower you cg and make it a lot more stable. This was one of the best thing I have done so far. I had to trim the body a little to help with the rubbing but well worth it. I will be going tube soon anyway.
06flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #7

I assume it will cimb steeper?
Thanks
PiLot
Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Badger covers most of the basic mods in this thread.
Badger's Losi Mini Crawlers

If you want a droop setup like 06flex is talking about, do it the right way and find some springs to put inside the shocks to hold them at full compression. Just taking the springs off gives you NO control of torque twist or articulation. Your tires will find their way into EVERY hole on the course. I did it with both the stock shocks and a set of 1:10 buggy shocks, the only way to do it right is to put springs under the shock pistons.

I just went back to the stock shocks in the front, and have Duratrax Evader BX shocks on the rear with a droop setup. Probably going to dig around the shop for something to limit the compression on the stockers, but this setup is the best I've run so far.

Here's a pic of the way I have my electronics layed out, to do this you need to take the transmission out and turn it around so the motor faces forward. Battery pack is on the front upper link, ESC on the rear upper link, reciever on a piece of scrap plastic across the top of the chassis. I've actually driven the truck onto the sidewalls of the tires with this setup, and it will go nearly vertical forward or back. The bigger, heavier tires, lower suspension and lots of wheel weight helps that of course.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 11-27-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #9

Thanks a lot. What type of servo are you using here? I bought a Hitech HS-225MG servo and the teeth do not fit the teeth for the steering rod. Please any help or suggestions of what servo to get would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
PiLot
Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Can you say "droop"???
Attached Images

FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks a lot. What type of servo are you using here? I bought a Hitech HS-225MG servo and the teeth do not fit the teeth for the steering rod. Please any help or suggestions of what servo to get would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
PiLot
I'm running a Tower Hobbies TS-35MG, cheap, and a little big more powerful than stock, turns my big tires and weight just fine. I ended up having to build a whole new drag link to get mine working properly. You might try taking the ball stud out of the stock servo arm and putting it in one of the ones that came with your new servo to save the stock drag link. This is how my setup is now, yes, the drag link is bent, I had to do that to fix some binding issues I had, beating on this basic setup almost since I got the truck and it has held up great.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Here is some pics of what i did with my rig works great. I think the first mod you do that you spend money on is changing your tires over to the blue compound claws makes a world of difference in climbing then servo and shocks. just my 2 cents tho

Electronics tray cut

MLST shocks and esc on top link lexan tray

Standard servo and reciever on top links tray

full rig shot

The end result
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks,
PiLot
Take the 225 back and get the 645 and fab up a new plate. The 225 wont last once you start crawling rocks!! Hitec even said when I called about my 225 that burnt up in about 15 mins that the 225 it TOO SMALL for rock crawling. It might actually work good for rear steering but not for the front.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I will second that about the 225 i went thou 2 of them just running in the basement over some home made crawling stuff. Just waitting for my new servo plate to come in and going to fab up a holder for my futaba 3050
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #15

I will beleive it when i see it
Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
Holdin my 40oz.

I used some losi mini lst shocks in a drooop fashion along with the tranny flip mod and mine looks alot like the pic earlier with the silver shocks up front and black shocks in the rear and the stock batt over the front links and mine will climb almost 60-70 deg inclines with no probs I have even used it in comps and done very well will try to get a pic up asap. good luck tinkering.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote