Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Up and over's DNA mini slingshot build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Up and over's DNA mini slingshot build

Ok so here we go, this chassis is sweet. DNA is a great company to deal with and the mini sling shot is top quality. When I ordered this chassis I thought it would be an easy bolt on, shortly into the build I realized that some significant time would be needed to dial this thing in correctly.
It wasn't rocket science but right of the bat, get the drill ready because the mounting holes are an unusable size (way to small) and the suspension geometry presents a challenge.
Drilling the chassis wasn't a big deal, but again I was expecting a chassis that fit easily with the stock unit. I'm glad it wasn't too easy though as we all know that building and modding is all part of the fun. I am however pointing this out for anyone that is planning to order this and might not have the equipment to be drilling. Just a heads up.
Here are some pics of my build so far. I have many more hours planned ahead to get this thing dialed in perfectly, specifically with the suspension setup. DNA rocks .
Attached Images

Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

So this is where I need some solid tech advice. Look at these pics, currently this rig has 3 inches...yes 3 inches of clearance. I'm not sure if the links are to long or short (I'm just using the ones that came with the chassis and axial link ends) or if it's just the shocks.
Currently I have some stock size aluminum HR's in the front and some 3 racing MLSTs in the rear. I need to drop this this down big time as it is riding way to tall. If I compress the springs by pushing down on the chassis the the chassis speads out and drops down nice (like how It should be running, which makes me thing the link lengths are fine) but then there is NO articulation at all.
Is this just a shock issues? Anyone know of some shorter shocks that have enough travel to get some articulation out of this chassis (is there a suggested shock by DNA). The other thing is that the axle plates are angled very steep, they are not level or flat at all. Again I don't know if this is from the length of the links, but when I push down on the chassis and compress the shocks the angle of the axle plates stay the same. Any feedback would be helpful. I'm close... but something is off and I know the DNA guys did not design this chassis to sit 3 inches tall. I want this baby low and with good articulation. Thanks guys
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Moderator Rule Breaker

I think it shocks, they are too tall. Try getting some mini T shocks. I think that what they running on the DNA mrc.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
RC Axle Master

I would take a look at jootz's link and make the shock adjustment and upper link move to the bottom chassis holes. It looks like the shocks are to long. Will it lower any when the shock springs are at the top of the adjustments? Also how does it sit with the upper links disconnected from the chassis? Something is diffently to long and needs to be shorter.
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
AKA 2G's

I like the 55mm shocks for a losi late model car .
86jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yah the Losi Mini Late Model shocks would work really good!

This chassis setup is just to sweet!
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

i did use mini-t rears as suggested by DNA, you will have to work on placement of the links on the chassis(vertical 3 hole) and the top shock mount placement to get at a good point of articulation and height. i outbounded my shocks and switched the axle position of the shock and links, that is were the shock eyelet size and ballends came in very well.
i`m glad you started your build thread as we could all use some other point of view. GL

Last edited by JOOTZ; 12-09-2008 at 09:05 AM.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yes... last night I cut down the length of my springs and the chassis dropped way down, so the length of my shock were definately the issues. The links are the right length and that was not the problem. The shorter shock are now helping the chassis ride at a much more appropriate height, but the shocks now suck because the springs are cut and they can open and are sloppy. Instead of putting limiters in the shocks I have, I will be ordering some mini t shocks and I am going to play around with switching the link and shock mounts on the axle...great tip man. I'll keep everyone posted. Even with the sloppy shortened shock on this thing,n the performance on is a very noticable increase when compare my previously modified stock setup. Thanks for the info everyone.

Last edited by Wild Snapper; 12-09-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i'm still using the stock shocks, i limited them to about half with some fuel tubing and laid the shocks all the way down and it still sits a little high but not as bad. still looking for smaller shocks.
jehuteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
TN State Champ 11,12,13

How do you like those tires? I was thinking of picking up a set for my mrc.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

At this point shorter shocks are a must. What is up with using the rear (longer mini t shocks) in the back. What is the reason for this? someone mentioned that dna suggests using the mini t rears in the back.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #12

Default Up and over's DNA mini slingshot build

Did you just have to drill the holes for the tranny on the skid?
Crawl It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

those tire are a little too hard for my taste, gonna go with the 1.9 flat irons when they come out. thinking of siping some of the lugsto try to give them more flex and maybe adding some wheel weights first. i have some memory foams in them and still too hard. plus they have way to much side bite for this little bastard.

Last edited by jehuteh; 12-09-2008 at 05:57 PM.
jehuteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
At this point shorter shocks are a must. What is up with using the rear (longer mini t shocks) in the back. What is the reason for this? someone mentioned that dna suggests using the mini t rears in the back.
when i querried DNA they gave two options, mini lst alu set with the longs in the rear against torque twist so the shorts go to the front, however with this option you have to buy the blue springs for the rears, so i went with option 2 which was mini-t rears all around using the stock black springs from the rear left only for torque twist. to me it seemed a logical take than having to buy extra springs. hope this helps
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuteh View Post
those tire are a little too hard for my taste, gonna go with the 1.9 flat irons when they come out. thinking of siping some of the lugsto try to give them more flex and maybe adding some wheel weights first. i have some memory foams in them and still too hard. plus they have way to much side bite for this little bastard.

tried taking the foams out ? see how it goes.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl It View Post
Did you just have to drill the holes for the tranny on the skid?
No the tranny plate was great, direct fit. I had to drill the chassis plates and axle plates.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
When I ordered this chassis I thought it would be an easy bolt on, shortly into the build I realized that some significant time would be needed to dial this thing in correctly.
It wasn't rocket science but right of the bat, get the drill ready because the mounting holes are an unusable size (way to small) and the suspension geometry presents a challenge.
It sounds like there are quality control issues. Holes that are too small for the stock hardware? That's inexcusable. I also assumed it was a direct bolt on chassis. It's still awesome, but it sounds like they need to work the bugs out.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
AKA 2G's

Its not a quality control issues thay just made it for 2mm hardware.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It sounds like there are quality control issues. Holes that are too small for the stock hardware? That's inexcusable. I also assumed it was a direct bolt on chassis. It's still awesome, but it sounds like they need to work the bugs out.
The holes do fit the stock bolts, but the stock bolts are the super tiny ones that on the stock setup just thread into plastic pieces and not into any nuts. For this build, specifically for the shocks and links, I needed a little more strength and more importantly a bolt that would actually fit into a nut (that I could actually find and buy at a local store) Because of this I needed to drill holes to fit a slightly larger than stock size bolt. I think the bolts that I choose to use are literally one size larger in diameter than the stocks.
Anyways DNA might want to modify and make these chassis holes a little larger, but in a way this can be a disadvantage depending on what you want to do. It is better to start with more and take away, because it does not work the other way around.
This chassis is definately for people that want a highly modified and costume setup. I understand your point but again I think DNA did an excellent job and nailed it. If one doesn't feel comfortable drilling and building on this level, then this probably isn't the right chassis for them and they might not be looking for high levels of precision and customization. I am OK with taking the time to dial in this crawler just right and in the long run this will be easier than modifying a direct fit chassis with less options. It's all part of the fun.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
AKA 2G's

I got my 2mm hardware from tower hobbies, Just search 2mm