Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My first MRC build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My first MRC build

So I finally went and picked up a Losi MRC, quite a change, normally I am into large scale rigs, so I am used to big and fast, so I seemed to have gone the complete polar opposite, and went for small and slow.

With the help of some tutorials here on the board, I have pretty much redone the whole thing, the difference in how it handles is night and day from stock, so thanks to all the guys that had "How-To's" for the MRC.

So I started by tearing the whole thing down and replacing the plastic spools with the Losi metal spools-

Also installed the new Losi MRC aluminum shocks, axle shafts and hubs both front and rear, also while I had all that torn apart, I flipped the transmission, this freed up some room for the new 850mah Lipo battery that I strapped to the remainder of the radio plate. The battery is so light, that I don't think it added/detracted anything too noticeable to the CG -

Also while I had the chassis taken apart, I took some time to add a UHMW skid to the bottom of the chassis plate for extra slickness, and also added a strip of the UHMW to each axle case-

On the front axle, I swamped in a HiTech MG85 servo with an aluminum servo arm with the pivot facing backwards for a great increase in clearance compared to the stock servo saver (still have to grind down the threaded section of that ball). This was a very close install, there is just enough room for the servo to take steering to full lock before the stering linakge hits the servo case, I would say about a MM of clearance . Also added 1/2 ounce to the end of each axle, 1/2 ounce to the top of the servo (in hindsight, there is enough room under the servo mount to attach some there as well), and there is 3 oz. in each wheel in the front, and 1.5 oz. in each rear wheel.

On the rear axle, I installed the ESC on the servo mount, and then installed the Rx on the center 3rd link. While messing with the rear end, I put in the Losi 30º bent links for a little more clearance.

Here is a shot from the top so you can see battery placement and, well, pretty much everything else-

A shot next to one of my big RC's, quite the size difference-

DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

good mods, UHMW-where you find that ?
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

DITTO...UHMW....what the hell is that ? and where the hell is it ? Nice to see you here, ;ove your 5t parts!!!
fishh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
good mods, UHMW-where you find that ?
Its adhesive backed UHMW "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" (swear to god) you can get it through McMasters -

http://www.mcmaster.com/ , the part number is 1441T71

This is the thinner stuff that I linked to (.022), I have the .032 which is a little thick, its harder to get it to wrap around the radius of the skid plate. Its extremely slippery, and very scratch resistant. Works great on anything you want to be slick.

Last edited by DarkSoul; 12-12-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
Its adhesive backed UHMW "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" (swear to god) you can get it through McMasters -

www.mcmasters.com , the part number is 1441T71

This is the thinner stuff that I linked to (.022), I have the .032 which is a little thick, its harder to get it to wrap around the radius of the skid plate. Its extremely slippery, and very scratch resistant. Works great on anything you want to be slick.

there could be a thousand uses for that stuff, thanks for the link bro.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

on second thought i tried that link and didnt find nada.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hey Ted! You used my idea using the chassis protector material.Works really good on the rocks for sure.See you next Wednesday?

John
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The second I opened the box for the crawler, I new I would be using some of this stuff for it, seeing it on yours just confirmed it . I had a bunch left over from covering the bottom of the chassis on my new FG 4wd buggy, but like I said above, I think I really need the thinner stuff for the small crawler.

JOOTZ, go to the McMasters link and then enter the part number 1441T71 in the search box.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Hey Ted! You used my idea using the chassis protector material.Works really good on the rocks for sure.See you next Wednesday?

John

Wouldn't it make the rocks too slippery?!
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:

www.mcmasters.com , the part number is 1441T71

http://www.mcmaster.com/

It's cutting board material, but did not know it came adhesive backed
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Nice build. Interesting battery placement, I have never seen it placed there before.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You can also buy the same material in sheets made by Associated as Chassis Protector: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSXV1&P=7
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
The second I opened the box for the crawler, I new I would be using some of this stuff for it, seeing it on yours just confirmed it . I had a bunch left over from covering the bottom of the chassis on my new FG 4wd buggy, but like I said above, I think I really need the thinner stuff for the small crawler.

JOOTZ, go to the McMasters link and then enter the part number 1441T71 in the search box.
I typed that number in the search box to order some and it came up with lots of related search items like lockers, o rings, shelving but no UHMW...
whodaman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

There should be a side bar on the main screen with 2 tabs, one says "Find Product" and the other says "Build Order" on the "Find Product" tab in the window, type in that part number, and you should get it.

-EDIT-

My original link was bad, sorry, fixed it.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
http://www.mcmaster.com/

It's cutting board material, but did not know it came adhesive backed
that was a better link, put the order in thanks Joat
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Wouldn't it make the rocks too slippery?!
LOL,yeah,it works quite nicely on the pumpkins.I actually used a sharpie marker to see exactly where the rocks were hitting the pumpkin/skid/chassis protector material.The chassis protector helped quite a bit on getting the rig to pivot easier in tight spaces while hung up.Just an observation after a back to back comparison on the same course setup.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Looks good. Great job
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Looks great.. Hope you dont mind but Im barrowing your idea and placed an order for the same material you have on the skid plate.. ... The UHMV stuff.. looks cool and should def work for US all..

Thanks again for the heads up.. Had no issues with the site that you provided..

Thanks

Justin
LOSI6821
Losi6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well I've been a member lurking for awhile around here but after talking to and seeing DarkSoul's LMRC I am now hooked, just so ya know mine is on order at the shop DS!! Thanks for opening up another addiction in my RC World
I dug your build from the first time I saw the pictures, going to have to get some of those mods done to mine right out of the box too. Ordering servos soon.
monsterman is offline   Reply With Quote