Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: steering servo upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #1

Default steering servo upgrade

Hey all...

What's the best upgrade ? (not going to a huge servo) I've be doing alot of searching and can't find much info...between me and 4 others we've gone through 3 stock ones ...The ones we purchased from the local hobby store arent a direct replacement (splines a little off) and are by no means an upgrade in tork....

give it to me simple,I'm mostly into 1:1 not an RC guy

Thanks

....supposedly productsupport@horizonhobby is sending me a call tag tosend back the servos for replacement...we'll see if it shows
Aaronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

some people are using the HS-225 by Hitec and getting good use out of them. But honestly if you are going to comps or even just playing rough with it then you will want to stpe up to an HS-645MG you wont be disapointed and you will be far less likely to burn it out. Just get your hands on an axial servo mount and re drill it to fit for the larger sized servo.
swisherteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you want to stay with the same size(mini) go with the Hitec 225mg. I don't know what the stock servos torque rating is but the 225 is 66 oz/in. I use mine with an aluminum servo horn. Works great.
cwneuwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwneuwirth View Post
If you want to stay with the same size(mini) go with the Hitec 225mg. I don't know what the stock servos torque rating is but the 225 is 66 oz/in. I use mine with an aluminum servo horn. Works great.
This is the one that I'm using...I'm not doing comps but I'm probably too rough on it...sounds like if I want more I'm going to have to go to a bigger servo.

Thanks for the quick replies
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisherteets View Post
stpe up to an HS-645MG you wont be disapointed and you will be far less likely to burn it out. Just get your hands on an axial servo mount and re drill it to fit for the larger sized servo.

any pics of this set-up ??
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

a real quick search turned up these

Mini Me's mini NiNo build!
Kaetwo's Losi MRC's
Griz's Team RCC/Holmes Hobbies Reign R/C Losi Mini
CR/CC Comp 1.9 MRC Development
swisherteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #7

I re-drilled the upgrade Losi servo/battery mount and went with the Futaba S9350 servo and a Losi aluminum Futaba servo arm. The servo has a lot of torque and works great in binds.

DJ

æ
Deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisherteets View Post
some people are using the HS-225 by Hitec and getting good use out of them. But honestly if you are going to comps or even just playing rough with it then you will want to stpe up to an HS-645MG you wont be disapointed and you will be far less likely to burn it out. Just get your hands on an axial servo mount and re drill it to fit for the larger sized servo.
Got my hitec-225 back from hitec the other day and it was the amplifier that had fried on mine. "Stepped" up to the 645 and have not had any prob with it. When contacting hitec they recommended not using the 225 on the losi mrc!!
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #9

my buddy siezed up a 225mg tonight looks like the 645mg is the ticket...thanks for all the info
Old 12-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

With the correct epa's the 225 shouldn't die. My stock servo still worked after a couple weeks of hard bashing.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicrawler23 View Post
With the correct epa's the 225 shouldn't die. My stock servo still worked after a couple weeks of hard bashing.
what's an epa ?

my 225 is still working fine...I would like to upgrade the horn on it though...anyone have a part # on an aluminum one ?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronn View Post
what's an epa ?
EPA = End Point Adjustment

Are you using the stock radio? If so make sure that the knob labeled ST.D/R is adjusted so the servo does not bind at full throw of the steering wheel on the controller. Your 225 will thank you and last a lot longer. Any servo will benefit form this simple adjustment.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #13

just to add to my thread...

my buddy who's servo went out 10 minutes out of the box,who then replaced it with the suggested 225mg....later that night the magic smoke came out of his speed controller ...he returned it to the hobby store that it was purchased at and they told him he had to run a digital servo and that was what caused his problem....They gave him a full credit for the servo they sold him,replaced the smoked parts free of charge and reassembled the car for him while he waited......the suggested servo was a 60 dollar digital servo but said they would back any failure after that.

Thoughts ??

( besides punctuation,spelling and grammar )
Old 12-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #14

stock servo on the losi is around 50, i would recomend a bigger servo
z-man64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
RCC Addict

most everyone here, me included use the 645. in the long run you save money from buying another replacement, also if its good enough for a 1/10 crawler...
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
most everyone here, me included use the 645. in the long run you save money from buying another replacement, also if its good enough for a 1/10 crawler...
I am using an extra 645 i had laying around with a spare axial servo mount i had. Works 10x better than stock and didn't cost me a penny.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronn View Post
just to add to my thread...

...he returned it to the hobby store that it was purchased at and they told him he had to run a digital servo and that was what caused his problem....
Your LHS is outright wrong, don't worry though, that happens a lot. Sounds like they have good customer service, but don't know what they are talking about in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
I am using an extra 645 i had laying around with a spare axial servo mount i had. Works 10x better than stock and didn't cost me a penny.
Lots of us are running standard servos with the stock Losi speed control without any problems. The HS645 mentioned above is a good example. Your friend's 225 most likely burnt up because it is a weak little servo and he didn't adjust the EPA to keep the servo from binding.

Last edited by toybuilder; 12-26-2008 at 09:25 AM.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Your LHS is outright wrong, don't worry though, that happens a lot. Sounds like they have good customer service, but don't know what they are talking about in this case.

Lots of us are running standard servos with the stock Losi speed control without any problems. The HS645 mentioned above is a good example. Your friend's 225 most likely burnt up because it is a weak little servo and he didn't adjust the EPA to keep the servo from binding.

I almost feel bad for them...They put on some high zoot 75.00 dig. mini servo on my friends and he killed it on the carpet before he even left the store....They are definetly going out of their way for us ...

I have not had any problems with my 225 yet but I'm expecting them...I should probably upgrade before it goes out but I'm starting to neglect my 1:1 buggy because of this little guy

Thanks for all the input !