Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Best tire / foam combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #1

Default Best tire / foam combo

What is the best tire and foam combination? A guy at my hobby shop is using no foam with BB's in the tires. They seemed pretty nice but how would that be compared to lets say memory foam? I was looking at using losi blue claws and the memory foam. And if i did not like that i would just take out the foam. The guy at my lhs did not have any holes in the rims so they had some air in them, but not a ton.
fusebmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #2

I just switched from stock to the blue claws and memory foam and the difference is night and day. Don't forget to add weight to the wheels (stick on weights, lead plumbing solder, whatever.) You will be amazed at the difference. Of course, using BBs will take care of both things - it will add weight and it will provide sidewall stiffness but still conform to the rock surfaces. I run air soft BBs in my VMG Mini Giant crawler and it works really well.

You may have to try both ways, as these things are usually a personal preference thing. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the blue claws and memory foam and then experiment with how much weight you like in the wheels (1 or 2 oz in rear and 2 or 3 oz in the front is where I'm at right now but people have been putting more than that).

I didn't feel the need to even bother trying the blues with the foam that comes with them or running no foam at all, so I don't have any insight there. Those stock tires were so bouncy it drove me nuts.
G1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Don't waste time and money. Put the blue label claws on, do some testing with how much weight to run. I believe these MRC do alittle better with the tire height of the claws. I run 4.75 oz in each wheel
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Location: The Dirty Dirty, A-Town, ATL, The A, Hot-Lana, ATLANTA GEORGIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
Don't waste time and money. Put the blue label claws on, do some testing with how much weight to run. I believe these MRC do alittle better with the tire height of the claws. I run 4.75 oz in each wheel
You're my hero.
mrdrinksalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Mrdrinksalil, hows those prolines
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #6

i just put on losi bashers with no foam. i have found that this rig is light enough to not us any foam. i modded the stock wheels with PVC to make beadlocks, put weight under the PVC and it seems the PVC takes up some space which helps with no foam. it is stable on side hills, the only drawback so far is less ground clearance because the tires squat more....
spinnrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I love my Proline 1.9 Flatirons. I never though that rubber compounds could make such a difference. They also come with memory foams so you do not need to go out and buy a set. I was amazed at how soft the flatirons are, they really squeeze down when you put some torque on them and the tread lugs will contour to the rocks and pinch down between the lugs giving very good grip. We have an indoor course that was nearly impossible for the stock claws. It has some large granite rocks they looked like they were made from ice when stock claws touched them. After the prolines we have to take it down and build a new course because my MRC w/ prolines can take every line on it (my coworker is pissed as he has stock claws). I have not compared it to the blue compound (which I have heard are great) but the extra size over the claws/bashers (nearly .5") helps to both get the tire up on taller obstacles and also gives 1/4" more clearance on the diff housing. Not to mention they just look really great.

The bottom line. My coworker has an identical set up minus the prolines (he runs stock claws) we each have 1.5 oz in each front and .75 oz in the rears. My mrc with proline shoes will simply climb obstacles with no wheel spin where the stock claws can't even get the front tires over. Get new tires regardles of if they are losi blues or prolines as the stock claws just stink (although I am happy they exist to keep the initial cost of the MRC down).
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
RcBros Hobbies

I to run the flat irons and agree with everything above. Not to mention they have killer side bite from the sidewall which is an extreme plus!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #9

I'm new to rock crawling. I just bought a Losi MRC. I was going to add weights & star the foam if there was foam in the stock tires. The stock tires are glued to the rim. What is my best options. Buy new rims & tires or pull the tires & clean up the rims & add new tires? How much weight should I start with per tire. I was going to use #8 lead shot from shot gun shells.
Any help I would appreciate. I moved the battery pack over the rear axle.
Thanks
NEVADA CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Losi blue claws and memory foams here. They own.
Smuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuff View Post
Losi blue claws and memory foams here. They own.
X2

I can't stand the sound of someones BB infected rig sloshing all around.
Drives me MAD Use lead, BBs are soo '90s JK!!!

RockAddict75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVADA CRAWLER View Post
I'm new to rock crawling. I just bought a Losi MRC. I was going to add weights & star the foam if there was foam in the stock tires. The stock tires are glued to the rim. What is my best options. Buy new rims & tires or pull the tires & clean up the rims & add new tires? How much weight should I start with per tire. I was going to use #8 lead shot from shot gun shells.
Any help I would appreciate. I moved the battery pack over the rear axle.
Thanks

With a little work/patience you can pull the old tires off of your rims. When you mount up your new shoes, make sure the bead of the wheel is clean. I did a pvc mod similar to thishttp://rccrawler.com/forum/showthrea...C+beadlock+mod
I use lead strips to weight my wheels, Fronts @ 6.5 ozs Rears @ 4 ozs. Thats the total weight of the wheel/tire/lead.

Use the BLUE claws/memory foam If you are runnin in low temps outside (below 45) use the blue foams. No need to star-cut anything. The Losi foams are pretty spot on in this instance.

My MRC http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153822
RockAddict75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #13

I think i am going to go with the Flat Irons cause they come with memory foam and everyone seems to like them.

To get the tire off the rim, just boil them for a while then pull them off.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

if they are stock from the factory on a new crawler then you can just yank the tires off. carefully pull them off and clean the rims there isnt any need to boil them because the tires are not glues on well.
swisherteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Yeah, just give them a firm tug and they will start to come off the rim. Mine were very inconsistent with how they were glued. If you want to save the stock tires it wouldn't hurt to run a hobby knife along the bead to help it come off so you dont tear the tire. Just remember to lightly sand away and extra glue and rubber before mounting the new tires. I would also recommend the PVC beadlock conversion. It only cost like 2.50 and takes about 2 hours and you have a very nice set of beadlocks that actually hold the tire very well. You can also take the tire off the rim in the future to make weight changes. If you go with flatirons you will need to bevel the pvc to get the bead to fit it nicely as the flatirons have a rather thick bead.

If you search for the PVC conversion there is a very nice walk through with tons of photos on here somewhere.
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #16

Yea i am planning on doing the PVC beadlocks. I dont have my truck yet, but i am planning on getting it sometime this month or next month. I want to make it as good as i can but not to expensive.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'm using blue Bashers with their stock foams and weighted PVC bead lock conversion and they're working perfectly. I have crawled on concrete, simulated rock, and tons of different real rocks and have yet to be limited by my tires.
salteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #18

Doesnt adding the PVC take up to much room? is the foam being compressed to much just sitting there?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #19

that is what happened to me, the PVC takes up too much room and with the foam the tire is too hard. i am running no foam for now, but cutting the blue foam out down the middle to make room for the PVC is what i plan on doing.....
spinnrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
RCC Addict

i run the Vanquish products lh 1.9 procomps with 6 weights(6 1/4 oz) in front and 3(3 1/2 ish oz) in back with blue claws mem in front and blue standard in the back.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote