Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mamba25 and drag brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mamba25 and drag brakes

Yeah, i know that this has gone back and forth from great drag brakes to none at all. I am running the m25 with a stock motor, and i don't think the drag brakes are as good as the stock esc even though they are set to 100%.

Here is what i find weird, though. I was playing around with my mrc yesterday, rolling it on the workbench and i noticed something. With the battery plugged in and the esc on there was some feeling of drag brakes. If i switched the esc off, the apparent drag brake feeling seemed to double! Unplugging the battery didn't seem to change this. Now this is the kind of drag brake I'd like to have!

So my question is this, WTF, yo?
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Maybe the motor is acting like a generator (when you roll it and its turned off), and sending power to the esc/drag brake.
Not sure though??

Its similar to how you can turn the tires on one end of a clod by hand, and the other end will turn by itself. The power generated by one motor backfeeds through the wiring and powers the other motor.

Last edited by redrover; 01-27-2009 at 08:24 PM.
redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I noticed the same thing. It has better brakes turned off. Turn it on and it rolls free, kinda crazy. I only notice it with the stock motor tho. I do know that the drags brakes don't seem to work at all with a brushed motor. The brushless motors have a nice and smooth drag brake.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

even weirder yet, after sitting overnight and unplugged, the 'mondo drag brake effect' was not there. rolled it a little by hand, and nothing. Then i rolled it like a little kid would do with a hot wheels. I did make the vroom vroom noise, but made sure that nobody was watching me. I did notice the lights on the esc blinked a little bit, and the mondo brakes were back. i guess it is the generator effect like redrover said.

but why can't the drag brakes be that good with the battery plugged in? oh well, i'm still having fun!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Holdin my 40oz.

I think your problem is that you are still running the stock motor, I am running a 19t Trinity mini-monster motor and the drag brakes are awsome at only 85%, so again it's the weak stock motor. My truck will stop perfectly on declines and inclines with perfect control, so try getting a better motor.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I ordered a HHMTM already. thanks for all the input, guys.
Richard.