Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dark Soul 1.9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Dark Soul 1.9

I have been lucky enough to get a job with Dark Soul Racing designing their line of crawler related parts and accessories. Dark Soul Racing has been producing aftermarket components for the HPI 5B and is well known for producing some of the highest quality components available.

Here is the latest 1.9 chassis soon to be available. We have been testing this chassis for several months now and have made several improvements to an already very capable design. This chassis is unique in that it is a narrow single piece aluminum design compared to most others that utilize a three piece design with a delrin skid. The reasoning for this is that we have found that in some instances, the Delrin can cause some unpredictability when trying to climb over an off camber obstacle where you might want the chassis to grab a little instead of allowing your vehicle to slide sideways off the obstacle causing a rollover. This might not be to everyones liking so we have included a sheet of adhesive backed UHMW that can be used for a slicker underbelly. Another benefit is that the aluminum chassis will allow for maximum ground clearance and minimum CG due to the fact that the transmission/motor can be mounted lower than with a delrin plate, not to mention it is a very light weight chassis.

We are also offering an inboard kit for the front shocks that will allow the Losi CVDs to be installed. This will allow for maximum turn angle without tire/shock interference.

The chassis will include some great features such as titanium links, front and rear axle plates, 3mm rod ends (for the chassis end of the links), mounting hardware and adhesive backed UHMW.

Dark Soul beadlocks!

chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
TEAM RCC

this chassis works great nice job
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

would like to see top view of the inboard shock set up please! Very cool by the way!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice, Can he annodize my chassis & wheels orange like my 5b OMF BL rings?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks badass. Tons of mounting options and well laid out. Are you going to produce them in carbon fiber?
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

nice work

Any info on release date?
Price?
RockAddict75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I would like to thank Chino63 for all the hard work he has put into our line of crawler stuff, it has been a real eye opener learning the intricacies of crawler suspension/chassis setup and design, and to be honest, I am still a little confuzzled by it all, but chino really has it down, and his understanding of how these little buggers work is second to none.

The chassis will be anodized before they head out the door, for now we will most likely have them done up in hard black ano and maybe a special limited edition for the RCC people.

We are hoping to have them ready to go by months end, but will let you guys know more when we have a more firm release date, as well as a list of retailers that will have them in stock.

The wheels should also be ready about the same time with OMF licensed beadlocks available in several colors. More to come on the wheels, but I will save that little surprise for later

Pricing is still to be determined, it will most likely be a little more than the average 1.9 chassis kit, but you of course are getting a complete conversion including Titanium links.

There are no plans to make a carbon fibre version, it would be to expensive to have a form and all the layup done for a one piece CF chassis, as well, not really the best choice for a chassis that will see lots of grinding over the rocks, unless you like carbon splinters (which hurt like hell).

Chino and i are just getting going on the crawler bits, so keep your eyes open for more products soon to come.
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks SW2ish....looks promising! I am considering a new chassis for my MRC...I'll be watching.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Im Brandon

Looks killer guys I will post up some pics of my prototype shortly.

Also didn't this chassis take 3 of the top 4 spots at yesterdays Nor-Calrcrc comp?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Im Brandon

Please notice the following pictures are of my prototype and not the final version that Chino63 has posted.

Notice the narrower and longer skid plate compared to stock

Slight bend at the front and back of the chassis. With all the testing I have done I have NEVER been hung up at this location, its the little details on this chassis that really stand out.

The front plate installed. Everything's nice and low. Note: I did trim my posts on the axle slightly

Original stance. I have changed shocks and locations a few times to test different things. Currently running Mini-T shocks (Longs up front and shorts in the rear). This chassis offers plenty of adjustment for any shocks you may want to run.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Awesome chassis design, tons of adjustability, very stable, way to think outside the box!

It definitely out performed the other 1.9's yesterday.

I must have.
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

this looks like an awesome chassis i will probably be comping in the nor cal/nbrcc 1.9 classes so i want to give this a shot
crawladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Im Brandon

Some pics of my proto version on the rocks.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

It definitely looks good. Is that one piece chassis, bent aluminum?

P.s. just refreshed this page... NLuv, that looks capable! Few more photos would be good ;)
ccbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbg View Post
It definitely looks good. Is that one piece chassis, bent aluminum?

P.s. just refreshed this page... NLuv, that looks capable! Few more photos would be good ;)
It is a one piece chassis formed from 5052 aluminum. As chino stated, we have been running them for a few months now with nothing but great results.
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
It is a one piece chassis formed from 5052 aluminum. As chino stated, we have been running them for a few months now with nothing but great results.
Well, one good thing about that it's one piece is that there's no need for skid (has one, doh), and less joints (points) to hang on.. Btw, the motor is sitting outside, right? Low CoG?
ccbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

PROTO PICS look great. Does anyone have any video clips?
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

damn... i just might have to buy one of these losi things...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Ohh For the love of god I keep getting chassis for this thing like they are a collectable card game LOL. I like the ideas behind this one Looks to be a very nice kit. I like the one peice idea I would assume that it would lend to enough ridity to allow you not to have to mount up cross braces leaving more options for mounting shocks and electrics.

Hey guys plz post some videos and electics mounting close ups.

I hope to hell losi releases a tranny/axle only kit soon!! RICH T HINT HINT HINT
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'm liking that design DS/Chino! It's a no frills straight to the point layout. And a one piece chassis is something I've been toying with for awhile now. Glad to see someone did it with class! Nice job guys!
HC Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote