Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Aluminum shocks versus HR Aluminum shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi Aluminum shocks versus HR Aluminum shocks?

Anybody here who has had both the HR Silver Aluminum Shocks and the Losi Aluminum Shocks? Care to compare the two?

I'm interested in a no modification shock upgrade and like both of these. I'd prefer the anodized Losi shocks but am wary of the plastic mounts.

dave
dave m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Oppan Gangnam Style

I have both and really like them. Here is my personal opinion and experience with them.

The Losi's are great. Very smooth, work well without leaking after many runs, excellent spring rate out of the box, threaded body, a bit longer than the stock plastic ones. The only issue I have with mine is that the lower ball end pulls off the shock shaft. This happened on three of the shocks. Not sure if it has happened to others or not but that's what happened to mine. Please understand that this is just my personal experience with them.

The Hot Racing shocks are a great shock as well. Very smooth but not as smooth as the Losi's, work well out of the box, same length as the stock plastic ones, threaded body, larger shock shaft, slightly softer spring rate than the Losi's but honestly you can't tell without measuring them.
My complaints are very minimal. The mounts that are supplied for the top of the shocks have some play and are on the loose side and they required a much thicker oil to get the same dampening rate. Again, these are just my findings and opinions.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
The only issue I have with mine is that the lower ball end pulls off the shock shaft.
Exactly why I'm worried about the plastic ends.

Am I right in guessing that the HR's are all aluminum, even the ends? That and the bigger shaft are what's making me think the HRs will be a longer lasting shock. What oil do you use in your HRs?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've been running the Losi shocks for a long time and never had any ball end failures. Your not going to find a smoother shock that the Losi and that is very important IMO. I wouldn't rule them out because the ball end it plastic.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave m View Post
Exactly why I'm worried about the plastic ends.

Am I right in guessing that the HR's are all aluminum, even the ends? That and the bigger shaft are what's making me think the HRs will be a longer lasting shock. What oil do you use in your HRs?
The ball ends are plastic. The threaded area is actually turned down but the ball end seems to be a bit harder plastic. Didn't measure the thread diameter or pitch so I'm not sure if it's different than the Losi's. Just haven't had any issue with them yet. As far as oil weight, Due to my configuration, I run 3000wt in the fronts and 1000wt in the rears. Still need to dial this in but works ok. You might like a thinner oil though as most people do.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post

The only issue I have with mine is that the lower ball end pulls off the shock shaft. This happened on three of the shocks. Not sure if it has happened to others or not but that's what happened to mine. Please understand that this is just my personal experience with them.
I have had one other person encounter this same problem but I have not received any info from our customer support team.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Rich

BTW Chino63 you have PM
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
I have had one other person encounter this same problem but I have not received any info from our customer support team.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Rich

BTW Chino63 you have PM
I've had 2 rears strip out on the upgraded ones. Lost a comp due to the repair, but the superglue seems to have fixed the weak threaded area.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I've had 2 rears strip out on the upgraded ones. Lost a comp due to the repair, but the superglue seems to have fixed the weak threaded area.
{sigh} I'm not paying $38 just to have to super glue them to keep them working. It's one thing to have to rig your stock gear but the upgrades should be over-built IMO.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I have been running the Losi upgraded shocks with no issues at all.
bigtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
DBR
Quarry Creeper

It seems to me that it also depends on the type of driving you are going to do. If you are a heavy throttle type driver, some things are going to wear out faster than someone that drives Miss Daisy. Also, remember that you are driving a "MINI" Rock Crawler. A new one at that. While Losi has a great reputation and seems to have built a great "First" run machine, it is just that, a first run machine. No matter how much you test a product before it is released, there are always going to be bugs that need to be worked out. I have yet to read anything on the forums about anything more than a few leaking stock shocks, or stripped/broken "plastic" gears.

I bang the hell out of my stuff. I, for one, will expect to have some stuff break on me. Whether it is stock/plastic or upgrade/metal. Just use your best judgment and go with what you think is best.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Losi is not new to the crawler market, there 2.2 shocks have the best ratings from what I have read on the forums. If there mini shocks are leaking so bad then they have not done there homework. My mini-t shocks leak endlessly unless you over build them (additional seals and the like). Losi is a big enough company to be able to "trickle down" the technology to make mini stuff perform like the big stuff. I think Losi can do a better job with the 1/18th scale stuff if they really wanted to.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

My Crawler rips shock end off, why because I have traction. Thats why I bought their $40 shocks, to prevent ruining the stock ones with the additional weight and traction.

Unfortunately it seems Losi was happier to make something just work...not upgrade status.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

haven't had mine rip off yet luckily...but they don't hold oil at all. Stock seals leak and mine still leak even with some teflon tape. Haven't made it to the auto parts store for some sealant yet but I will try that next. I wish I would have gone with the MLST shocks after all my fuss with these. oh well.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #14

i've had no problems with losi shocks, the stock ones leaked alot, but the aluminum ones are working really well. 2 leaked a little when i put them together, i took them apart to change the piston, put the new little gasket they give you in and now i have no leaks, for about 3 weeks now.....they work much much better then stock
spinnrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #15

Are the springs on the Losi aluminum shocks the same stiffness as the springs on the stock shocks?

I would like to find softer springs for my shocks. Does anybody know of other options?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #16

i thought the silver stock springs were softer so i put those on the front, and the blues in the back. 30 weight oil witht he 3 bleed piston in the front and 30 weight oil with the 1 bleed piston in the back. the 3 hole piston really made them soft....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are the springs on the Losi aluminum shocks the same stiffness as the springs on the stock shocks?

I would like to find softer springs for my shocks. Does anybody know of other options?
you could opt for an internal spring setup. I am running pen springs from a pilot G2
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #18

you NEED uptravel
Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
haven't had mine rip off yet luckily...but they don't hold oil at all. Stock seals leak and mine still leak even with some teflon tape. Haven't made it to the auto parts store for some sealant yet but I will try that next. I wish I would have gone with the MLST shocks after all my fuss with these. oh well.

so which mlst aluminum shocks should i get? aftermarket brand or losi's? will the shorter length of the mlst shocks be ok when i switch to the gc2 chassis?

i defininately dont wanna spend 35.00 on shock, just to have them leak or break!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote