Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Better Traction Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Question Better Traction Help

Just Starting in to this, having a blast My Brother has been helping me along but I have the Losi MRC. I am Having a problem with traction I can hit about 60 degrees on the incline board. Stock configuration it was about 45. The mods I have made include moving the battery up front building new plates and moving the electronics down. I also have tried lighter springs from mini lst rear shocks, up front that helped some of the torque twist up front. Looking for any mods to make to the stock wheels, and how much weight I could add before things get to to the point of overload and over heating to improve traction.

Last edited by tju2; 02-07-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: poor description
tju2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

have you tried new tires or wheels with weights?
crawladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can safely add a few ounces to each wheel but you will notice WAY better traction if you switch to a comp type tire like the blue claws or G8 compound flatirons (that's what I run on mine) and the difference is night and day! (I have weight in the fronts only) About 2.5 or 3 oz's.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #4

trying to avoid buying new tires and wheels right now. Going to try adding the couple of ounces of weight today and see what happens. Trying to stay in a small budget.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #5

try lead ballsin the front if you have bead locks
Savvy4.6X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have loaded my MRC with all the Losi goodies and relocated the electrics. I ran the stock tires and rims with no weights and the suspension at stock height....it was too high for me and twisted too much. I changed my Losi threaded shock set up to 40wt in three shocks and 50wt in the right rear to fight the torque twist. I also limited the shock travel internally with some fuel tubing (about 3/8 inch). I noticed a BIG inmprovement in traction and capability still running the stock tires and rims with no weights!!! I cannot wait for my Eritex 1.9 COMP HEAVY rims to come in so that I can mount up the BLUE Claws!!! ....I expect traction to be even better.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tju2 View Post
trying to avoid buying new tires and wheels right now. Going to try adding the couple of ounces of weight today and see what happens. Trying to stay in a small budget.
the FIRST thing you should buy is new tires. you can mod the rims you have to be working beadlocks. but the stock tires literally are crap. they dont have traction at all compared to 99.9% of the other mini tires out there. get a set of proline 1.9's or the blue claws. add weight to the rims about 8oz up front and 4 in the back is what i suggest. then try the incline climb. it will be like night and day.

- Tre
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguanja View Post
the FIRST thing you should buy is new tires. you can mod the rims you have to be working beadlocks. but the stock tires literally are crap. they dont have traction at all compared to 99.9% of the other mini tires out there. get a set of proline 1.9's or the blue claws. add weight to the rims about 8oz up front and 4 in the back is what i suggest. then try the incline climb. it will be like night and day.

- Tre
One thing I have learned in my 20+ years in RC....the right tires make a huge difference!!
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

found the dyi thread for bead locks, also added some weight this afternoon still at 60 but doing it much easier less slipping. just going to have to break down for new tires.