Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: dpdsurf's Fubar Mini Skeeter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default dpdsurf's Fubar Mini Skeeter

I loved the Fubar Skeeter chassis for my Berg so much that I kept bugging MTHead to find out if an MRC version was coming. He was kind enough to send me an early prototype Mini Skeeter!!!

Nice package

Overlay. As you can see you have more shock and upper link mounting options.

It’s the same great quality as the 2.2 version. I like the use of the matte Delrin as it doesn’t leave any fingerprints.

In the middle of the build I made my first photo box. My cammera still sucks though.

I've been using these Traxxas metal yokes and pede shafts for a while now without any issues. Even though the Yokes are too big for the outdrives, using a set screw on each side evenly tighted holds them on without issue. I did have to grind the tranny plate a little to make room for the bigger yoke.

Up front I used the stock 3 link for now. This is what I was running with the stock chassis so for comparison purposes I don’t want to change anything yet. It will be 4 linked soon though.

I was able to mount the rear uppers inside the chassis but ideally they would be in the lower hole. I hear a design change may be coming to accommodate this.

I sure hope this is enough servo for this beast.

Spaghetti? I really need a Tekin FXR. In this pic you can also see the shock mounted to the outside part of the axle tab. To prevent what is the weeker part of the tab from breaking, I place 1/4" delrin in the center and ran a longer screw all the way through to the beefier threaded tab on the axle.

Because the Delrin skid is thicker than stock, John countersunk the holes enough so you can still use the stock screws for mounting the tranny. Nice touch.

All complete. But I really want to try the new Losi shocks for this. These are the Mini LST shocks and I feel they are limiting the flex too much. Maybe soft springs on the rear will help but there still seams to be an overall travel issue.

Oh yeah, almost forgot…

As soon as I get some new shocks I will take this out to my favorite crawl spot and take some video...

Last edited by dpdsurf; 02-21-2009 at 01:40 AM.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Damn, that chassis looks sweet.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks great! Can't wait to see it run.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Im Brandon

Nice rig Dave. I didnt know your 2.2 was a skeeter! Fubar makes some nice products
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKrawler48 View Post
nice looking chassis man. i also just like how your rig looks period
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDoug View Post
Damn, that chassis looks sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbentrodder View Post
Looks great! Can't wait to see it run.
Thanks guys, I'll get some video soon I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Nice rig Dave. I didnt know your 2.2 was a skeeter! Fubar makes some nice products
Thanks Brandon, It wasn't a Skeeter until last night. EDIT: Oh yeah, the 2.2, been running it since the Pacific Grove comp, very happy with it

Last edited by dpdsurf; 02-21-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Trying to have Fun Again

Looks good you got alot more done than me.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

very nice. what shocks are you running?
abbott90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

subscribed
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
Looks good you got alot more done than me.
Thanks, it was a pretty quick chassis swap out only as opposed to the nice parts you're accumulating. I got my shocks working a little better and now have some upper links and 4 link mounts to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott90 View Post
very nice. what shocks are you running?
Thanks, they are Losi Mini LST shocks made by 3 Racing. They are not bad but I want to try something that has a little more stroke. They are 70mm eye to eye where Losi MRC shocks are 73mm eye to eye I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
subscribed
Thanks, made a little test run today. I'll have to get video next time.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
DOOH!!!

Dang you work fast Dave!! I'm still cleaning the shop from making them..

The build is looking Awesome, may i suggest the Traxxas 2742X rodends though just incase you get into a wheelbase issue, they are the same length as the stock Losi but use 3mm hardware..

Loving the photo booth too..
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Trying to have Fun Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Thanks, it was a pretty quick chassis swap out only as opposed to the nice parts you're accumulating. I got my shocks working a little better and now have some upper links and 4 link mounts to make.
Still getting more parts coming in.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
Dang you work fast Dave!! I'm still cleaning the shop from making them..

The build is looking Awesome, may i suggest the Traxxas 2742X rodends though just incase you get into a wheelbase issue, they are the same length as the stock Losi but use 3mm hardware..

Loving the photo booth too..
Thanks John! Dam, I think I must have willed myself to see 8.5" when I checked the wheelbase at midnight after finishing the build. And even after Red Rockler's thread I knew they'd be too long. Thanks for the part #.

Quote:
Still getting more parts coming in.
Can't wait to see it! Those Vanquish wheels are amazing. I've added them for my Berg and the 1.9 into the shopping cart too many times to count and have chickened out every time. Next month.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Trying to have Fun Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Can't wait to see it! Those Vanquish wheels are amazing. I've added them for my Berg and the 1.9 into the shopping cart too many times to count and have chickened out every time. Next month.
Pull the trigger on the vanquish wheels. The time they spend on machine time and finish is worth it.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Dave: SWEET looking rig! Very nice build thread as well.

Let me know if you need help finding an FXR or those 1.9 Vanquish rims (we gott'em in stock!)
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Pull the trigger on the vanquish wheels. The time they spend on machine time and finish is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
Dave: SWEET looking rig! Very nice build thread as well.

Let me know if you need help finding an FXR or those 1.9 Vanquish rims (we gott'em in stock!)
You guys are killing me. My wife is trying to get PayPal to agree to change my account to where the Pay Now button will only work if she simultaneously clicks the button from her computer. She says it's a matter of "Homeland Financial Security" or something like that.

The FXR is on the way, I'll talk to you next month about the wheels Jake, thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well I got the shocks working much better with 65wt oil, cutting down the front springs and adding losi whites to the rear.

I didn't have enough 2742X rod ends on hand so I just snipped 2mm off of these which got it right at 8.5" wheel base.

Oh yeah, I forgot to show off my Eritex wheels with my good friend JeepinDoug's wheel weight mod.

I'm running full weights front and rear with a full wrap on the inside of the fronts.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 02-23-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

You'll love all the extra weight in the wheels. All that weight makes me feel so uneasy................ until I crawl it.

You cut the front springs? Any special way?
Compression springs like to have the last coils reduce helix (so to speak) to end at a flat surface. In these conditions it helps to keep the spring seated on the cup well.
I just don't want to do it cuz I'm afraid the spring is going to always loose it's seat.

EDIT - I see, you left the cut side up on the shock........at least on the driver's side

Last edited by JeepinDoug; 02-23-2009 at 08:12 PM.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The extra weight seams to help keep it planted when hitting angles beyond it's articulation. Yeah, the springs don't seam to budge even after cutting them. I had that same concern but is fine, even with my endpoints maxed out to where the tires rub on them at full steer. Good eye, I think I'll flip the passenger side around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDoug View Post
You'll love all the extra weight in the wheels. All that weight makes me feel so uneasy................ until I crawl it.

You cut the front springs? Any special way?
Compression springs like to have the last coils reduce helix (so to speak) to end at a flat surface. In these conditions it helps to keep the spring seated on the cup well.
I just don't want to do it cuz I'm afraid the spring is going to always loose it's seat.

EDIT - I see, you left the cut side up on the shock........at least on the driver's side
Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

MTHead sent some real nice templates for these 4 link/servo/electronics mounts. The loose one on the right was my first one I made, it's a little off so I need to make another.

The ESC and RX fit nice on it. The FXR on the way will fit even better.
The battery will end up on the front one.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 02-24-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Nice,real nice. Keep em comin.CYA
WrenchHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpdsurf