Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: zero ackerman ota help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Arrow zero ackerman ota help...

I'm wanting to do a ota setup on my mrc, i already have my losi alum. knuckles drilled in line w/kingpins for 3mm hdwr. what rod ends & size of tubing is everybody using. i have some traxxas rod ends but i think there's more than 1 type of traxxas rod end, part #s or pics would be helpful. pretty sure i can figure out the bends on my own,but if someone want to volunteer length of tube,angle of bends, this too would be very helpful. i appreciate any & all info offered
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

These ones work?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...742X&search=Go
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
yep those are different than what i have, looks more suitable thank you sir
Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I used regular traxxas ends on mine, works great. The shorts will work too, I just like the longer threads on stuff that I'm going to be running into rocks. My drag link and tierod both are just bare 6-32 rod at the moment, it works and I had all the stuff laying around so that's where it's staying.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 04-15-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
I used regular traxxas ends on mine, works great. The shorts will work too, I just like the longer threads on stuff that I'm going to be running into rocks. My drag link and tierod both are just bare 6-32 rod at the moment, it works and I had all the stuff laying around so that's where it's staying.
thanks trike kid, i think i got some 6-32 all-thread maybe i can find some alum. tube to slip over for a cleaner/smoother look....i know...i know looks aint everything
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I just posted a thread with my setup in if you're looking for ideas. If I'd had the stuff to sleeve it I would have, and I may end up re-doing the tierod because I didn't quite get my bends symetrical and it's a little wonky.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

anyone else have words of wisdom or worldly advise
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well what else would you like to know? I'm using the losi rod ends on mine and haven't had any problems yet.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicksAreR View Post
Well what else would you like to know? I'm using the losi rod ends on mine and haven't had any problems yet.

i really like your setup, very clean & pro looking, im wanting to use 3mm hdwr though. if i have to ill get another set of knuckles & use stock mrc rod ends. did you use tube or sleaved allthread? ifso what size id/od? after searching this topic it looks as if your the first one w/this setup on a mrc,congrats-very inovative! also length of tube & angle of bend would be helpful. if mine turns out half as good as yours looks,ill be happy. im not one to take credit for someone elses hard work,all credit goes to you then to rccrawler, thank you for posting,SicksAreR
Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

No problem. I'm using solid 3/16 stainless that I turned on my lathe but you can use 4-40 allthread with some ss or alu 3/16 tubing over that. The length of mine is 103mm end to end and I believe if you use the short traxxas rod ends you should be ok for they are the same length as the losi's. As for the angle I just eyeballed it in the vise. It's not very hard to do. just start with a little bend and try to bolt it on. Keep bending it till your toe is straight. Also try and keep the bent ends the same length. Hope this helps. When your done it'll be well worth it!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
TEAM RCC

Quote:

Great looking setup do you have any more info on your build.
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No problem. I'm using solid 3/16 stainless that I turned on my lathe but you can use 4-40 allthread with some ss or alu 3/16 tubing over that. The length of mine is 103mm end to end and I believe if you use the short traxxas rod ends you should be ok for they are the same length as the losi's. As for the angle I just eyeballed it in the vise. It's not very hard to do. just start with a little bend and try to bolt it on. Keep bending it till your toe is straight. Also try and keep the bent ends the same length. Hope this helps. When your done it'll be well worth it!
very good info SicksAreR, again, thank you
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sorry it's 103mm to the ends without the rod ends.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrofts View Post
Great looking setup do you have any more info on your build.
Defiantly a great looking set up
Here is SicksAreR's build thread
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #15

Quote:

looks like time for high steer knuckles, what about running the servo rod end behind the arm, still a bunch stickin out there. I'm still running BTA but it is a PITA and screws with the shock placement and link geometry so much I want to find a reasonable alternative.
vulturebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturebikes View Post
looks like time for high steer knuckles, what about running the servo rod end behind the arm, still a bunch stickin out there. I'm still running BTA but it is a PITA and screws with the shock placement and link geometry so much I want to find a reasonable alternative.
I tried to place the drag link behind but it would end up hitting the servo plate so I ended up just bending the servo horn back a little. The screw for the drag link hits things but its not a big issue. If it gets stuck I can just wiggle the steering and it'll come out.

Last edited by Top_Ramen; 04-16-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
basicly this is a high/steer system w/added benifits of increased turn radius,best steer setup ive seen by far! note:to get the most out of this mod you must use cvd shafts,you wont increase turn radius w/stock dogbones.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordwheeler View Post
basicly this is a high/steer system w/added benifits of increased turn radius,best steer setup ive seen by far! note:to get the most out of this mod you must use cvd shafts,you wont increase turn radius w/stock dogbones.
I mean high steer knuckes with the pitman arm above the axle centerline, ie no spacers and long bolts. Yes to cvd.
vulturebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I mean high steer knuckes with the pitman arm above the axle centerline, ie no spacers and long bolts. Yes to cvd.
i see what your saying,hi-steer knuckles would be nice,but i think were stuck w/what we have unless we can beg losi or the aftermarket! better yet how bout a complete bolt & go hi-steer upgrade.that would be alright too!!!