Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: messin with my mrc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

Default messin with my mrc

Well, I took my first small step into modifieing my mrc today. I relocated my battery to the front axle and moved the esc to the front of the battery tray. I also took my leaking RR shock apart, refilled it and bled it. This was my first time doing any of this, and I had way more fun working on it than I though I would, considering I work on big rigs for a living. Took it outside this morning and tested it out. It definately needs some weight in the rear end now. Now when I get the front wheels over a ledge, instead of the fronts spinning and the rear hopping around getting a little traction, its the other way around. Also, when descending a ledge, it hops forward and even flips over forward to much now. I also see what you guys mean about the servo savers being a pain now. That extra weight of the battery is a little to much for it. I tried and tried when stock to get it to bind up and see it actually work, but never could. Now I can sit it on the side walk and see the servo saver work. Is the saver set up to break loose at the servos max torque capacity, or can i put the solid arm on and not worry about screwing my servo up right away? Also, can you guys give me some what of an idea how much weight to add to the rear end? should I add some to my front wheels too? Heres a few pics for you guys.

afoulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You can tighten the Servo saver down a little to tighten it up a bit. The stock servos are fragile, and will begin to strip pretty quickly. I wouldn't run the solid arm on it.

Lowering your Center of Gravity will help more with the flipping over etc than adding weight, but definately adding weight to the wheels does help keep things lower too.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just use wheel weights for the rear, and maybe a little up front. 7-8 ounces on the back should help. You should be able to get the weights for free, or very cheap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? But I think I'm right.
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

your stock servo wont last long once you add weight. I would replace it before it goes out. That way you can save it for a dig servo on (losi 1:10) another project.
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #5

thats why I thought about adding weights to the wheels, I figured that would help lower my center of gravity. Does Dark Soul offer their servo plates seperate from the chassis kits? I think thats the chassis I want eventually, but not until I'm absolutely sure I'm gonna stick with this hobby. I figure if I'm gonna get a bigger servo right now, i might as well get their front servo plate so I don't have to change that twice. I'm thinking the servo, lockers, wheel weights, and shocks will be my next mod's. I wanna eventually get some Flatirons, so with the added traction of them, I'm sure I'm gonna need the lockers and servo. I might get TCS's wheel widener kit too, just for that little extra stability. Then eventually the DarkSoul chassis kit, the Losi Bronco Body, and some beadlocks. That stuff will be fruther down the line though. If I decide to stick with the hobby
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

OK number one! I run my fronts with tires around 6oz-7oz, the rear is usually 1oz to 2oz. Number two get yourself a nice hitec HS645MG servo around $30.00. To mount you can use a stock axial servo plate and some servo mounting posts from say associated or axial. Lastly invest in a nice aluminum servo arm (We don'ts needs no stinkin servo savers here).

Now though you may find with all the extra weight your crawler has lost that punch... Well then you may want to move up to a holmes hobbies mini torquemaster motor. Then you may find that it's a great motor but could be alot better with a better ESC and say maybe a nice little lipo...

LOL well bro welcome to your new addiction! You've started there is no turning back.

OHH ps if your going with flat irons and widners. Better think of a BEC to help out that servo cause it will start to feel soft.

Umm one thing to remeber about flat irons is yeah they stick but they are soo tall you might think about gearing down! Two without widners and even with them your gonna cut the crap outta your body to keep them from rubbing!!!! Trust me on this.

Widners are ok but I really don't like all the turning radius I lost when I was using them! I never felt the marginal stability I got from them was worth it. I really think some well tuned foams can get me just about as much sidehilling ability.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #7

RCBros makes some very nice and inexpensive servo plates for your MRC. I don't think DarkSoul offers their servo plates separately and you'll get one if you ever buy the chassis kit so you'd have an extra one anyway.

I have Flat Irons on Axial beadlock wheels (awesome wheels for a great price BTW!) and I had a ton of rubbing issues. Then I "pinched" the body close to the chassis plates by moving the body clips way in on the body posts. This eliminated a lot of rubbing. I'm torn as to whether or not I want to buy the wideners.

Anyway, the next mod should be to get rid of that top battery plate altogether and move all of your electronics down. To do this all you need are nuts for the ends of the ball mounts for the shocks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #8

Tell me about it! I got this thing so I wouldn't feel compeled to spend money I didn't have on my real jeep, but its turning out just like the 1:1 sized stuff. If I change one thing, that usually leads to having to change something else, which leads to having to change something else, and on and on and on. Looks like I gotta pay in for my local taxes this year (screw up in the office at work), so as soon as I can come up with the money, I'll do the servo and wheels and tires. The axial beadlocks are actually what I was thinking of going with (black chrome) till I can afford some nice aluminum ones. Any other tires you guys would recommend besides the flatirons? I prefer something with a scale looking tread, but I admit, I do like the looks of the losi bashers.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #9

almost forgot, would adding a different servo require any rewireing? I don't know if I feel up to that yet. I've repaired wiring before and done little bit of soldering on trucks at work, but never on anything this small. I don't know if I have the patients for it I was gonna relocate my reciever and esc when I did the battery, but it didnt' look like i had enough of the stock wiring to stretch everything out that far.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you go with an HS645 servo it has plenty long enough wires to go to the back and forwards halfway again it seems. Its a simple unplug - replug, no soldering or swapping connectors etc...

The 645 is a world of difference on the front ofthat thing.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #11

don't most guys mount their esc on the rear axle though? I don't think my battery leads will reach that far. The 645 is what I was thinking of going with though. Whats the actual part # for it?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
don't most guys mount their esc on the rear axle though? I don't think my battery leads will reach that far. The 645 is what I was thinking of going with though. Whats the actual part # for it?
Some people put the ESC on the rear axle. You'll need to extend the battery wires if you do that. You can also make "shelves" for the top links and put the ESC on the front link and the RX (Receiver) on the back link or vice versa.

The tires that most MRC owners use are ProLine Flat Irons, Losi Blue Claws, or Losi Blue Bashers. I like my Flat Irons now. I hated them at first. The only thing they aren't good for is real smooth, slippery surfaces.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #13

I know, Ive seen guys put those on the links, but I think it starts looking way to cluttered up then. I guess I'm kinda stuck...on one hand, I wanna make this thing perform half descent, but on the other hand, I still want it to look good.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
I know, Ive seen guys put those on the links, but I think it starts looking way to cluttered up then. I guess I'm kinda stuck...on one hand, I wanna make this thing perform half descent, but on the other hand, I still want it to look good.
If you do it right it looks fine IMO. Plus, you'll be putting a body on top and that will cover everything.