Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Clicking sound?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clicking sound?

Okay so this has been happening for a lil while now and I can't seem to figure it out. When I get bound up I will get a clicking sound coming from the differentials like the gears are slipping, but I cant not see any damage when I pull them apart. Am I missing something. I know adjust the slipper but I still would like to know what the sound is and if there is any way to fix it. Thanks!
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I had the exact same issue about a month ago. Thought it was the plastic locker, so I bought the metal ones. I still had the clicking sound and traced it back to the pinion gear. I actually wore the teeth down enough to make it skip. My ring gear looked perfect but among further inspection I removed the pinion gear and that's when I realized it was wore out.

The replacement gear set part number is LOSB0941. The label says they're for a MLST2 but they are exactly the same.
8-454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

that's kind of what i was thinking just don't want to dump 15 bucks on a new differential. Ahh whats another 30 dollars on this little sucker? Thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
RcBros Hobbies

DRVN,
where your driveshafts insert into the locker, new will be square like the axle, over time this area becomes egg shaped, under a good amount of load the axle simply twist in this area. If your locker looks egg shapped, its time for a new one.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

now I do have metal lockers so i would not assume this would be the issue, but it is possible. And hey Rcbro when are you going to have more lockers in stock, would like to replace mine to get rid of the rest of the plastic B.S. in there?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
RcBros Hobbies

I'm sorry I did not notice u had aftermarket lockers already. We will have more in stock this week.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

've replaced my diff set twice in my rear axle. They both stripped right away. I ended up putting a thin washer behind the pinion gear in between it and the bearing. I hope you guyz can understand what I mean. It worked for a while then it stripped again. I just order a new axle case and the problem was solved. Oh, I did use the mlst2 metal diff sets and I am running hh mini tm also. This motor just tears sh!t up.
keala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i just started getting that just to day...mabey i shouldent of pulled the triger going up that steep climb to get the fronts up in the air
rccrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Mine started clicking today and it was the front ujoint if you will.It didnt seem worn out but I replaced it and it went away.
jason yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

my rear axle started to click tracked it down to the outer bearing on the straight axle adpt. Over tightening the wheel nut, it bent the tiny hex pins and started kill the bearing
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

okay so i tore apart my diff's tonight and all the gearing looks just fine. a lil wear but nothing to cause any slippage. My bearings seem to be in good looking order so I am sort of at a stand still. One thing I thought of, when I first put my lockers in months ago a couple little o rings fell out and I never re-installed them but I can not seem to figure out where they go and if they even matter. Anyone know? I am assuming that the go aroun the axle into the diff but I could be wrong. I also tore apart my tranny and everything in there looks a okay. It is surprising to me the number of people that are stripping out all of these gears. I have been running the HH since Jan and everything seems fine. I don't know about the damn clicking soind though. Any other thoughts?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My ring and pinion did not look too worn out either, not enough to cause slipping. But when I changed them out, the clicking went away.
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

okay so after I looked at it a little closer it looks like the smaller gear is a lil worn out so I will give it a go and replace this. But I would like to figure out what is causing this and what we can do to prevent it.