Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: transfer case, servo & esc plug questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default transfer case, servo & esc plug questions

Sorry if this is a noob question but I just got myself a MRC and want to make a scaler out of it (using my own chassis) and I have a couple questions

1) Has anyone done a transfer case setup with this and if so what did you use to get the 4mm output?

2) I've read lots about upgrading to a standard/full size steering servo. Are there any issues with mounting the stock servo on a scale chassis (not axle mounted) other than the usual issues when doing that?

3) I dont have a charger for it so I want to swap out the stock esc/battery plug for a standard tamiya plug and plan to run standard 6-cell packs. Are there any issues with doing this? Honestly I haven't searched regarding this last question though so if its obvious I apologise.

Any help is appreciated.
cheers.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default drive line size

Hi, You adapt any 5mm drive line to fit a 4mm shaft. Drill out the 5mm one with a 5/16 drill. Press in a LOSI mini drive line and cut off the end and you have a 4mm drive line yoke. Basically you have made a 4x5 mm bushing.
al you have to do now is line up the set screw holes and run a tap thru them. One set screw locks them both together and also clamps it to the output shaft. Later.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman1600 View Post
Hi, You adapt any 5mm drive line to fit a 4mm shaft. Drill out the 5mm one with a 5/16 drill. Press in a LOSI mini drive line and cut off the end and you have a 4mm drive line yoke. Basically you have made a 4x5 mm bushing.
al you have to do now is line up the set screw holes and run a tap thru them. One set screw locks them both together and also clamps it to the output shaft. Later.
so you're saying I shoud drill out the 5mm yoke and squeeze a losi 4mm yoke into it?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

pablo that is what I did on mine, it is pretty easy... with that said and now that I know the villain ones are 4MM I will never do it again, why bother..

in your case using a tcase and losi axles... the pede shafts have you covered there 5mm, and the villian is 4mm so your set.. you should never break a pede shaft with a mini motor either should be a strong setup..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yes that is what you can do. But, Can you tell me more about the villain yokes? who makes them? Maybe a pic. Thanks
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman1600 View Post
Yes that is what you can do. But, Can you tell me more about the villain yokes? who makes them? Maybe a pic. Thanks
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBH2&P=Z
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
no talent hack

i just broke one of those villian yokes today
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

thats the ticket. I'll run an axial trans as a tcase (5mm output), pede driveshafts with villain yokes, and a reduction unit on the divorced motor under the hood. rc4wd has 2:1 reduction units but someone else showed me a link to robotic reduction units down to 10:1 for the 360 sized motor...should work...
Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

think bane bots has up to 36:1 GRU for 300 series motors.. if you havent checked them out yet you might want to pablo..

http://banebots.com/index.html
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I didn't have much luck with this villian yolks either. They kept coming loose and never actually fit up right for some reason. I don't know if the metal wore out over time or what but I ended up taking them off tonight because they kept slipping.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
think bane bots has up to 36:1 GRU for 300 series motors.. if you havent checked them out yet you might want to pablo..

http://banebots.com/index.html
you mean these, "24mm Planetary Gearmotor, RS-370 Motor"? I looked at that link and have to admit I was a bit lost...I wouldnt know WHAT to order for the mrc motor...
Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

there GRU's come with motors, so all you need to do is pick the right reduction...

and yes for a MRC the 370's would be a good place to start..