Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Spring softening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Spring softening

Does anyone have any clue how to make a spring softer.
I am waiting for some much softer springs to come in, but in the mean time all I have is some stupidly hard springs.
I tried heating some other smaller springs I had laying around and was able to make them really, really soft. But the harder springs I have dont seem care how hot I get em, and for how long. (I left one under the torch for 25mins it was absolutely glowing red).

Any ideas?
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I was going to say try heat but you got that coved already. I dont know man you got me.

Last edited by wheelhead4x4; 06-01-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: needed space in wording
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if its anything like metallurgy, to soften something you must heat it to extreme heat like you did but instead of letting it cool off all of a sudden it needs to slowly cool down. when i'm drawing back something hard at work. I usually place the oven on 1850 (depending on the material) once it gets up temp, I cut off the oven and let the metal cool down slowly with the oven. normally takes until the next day or late that night. I doubt you have anything like that laying around the house though.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I dont have that kind of a oven, but I do have an aceteline torch. I'll give it another shot tommorow. I didnt really let it cool down slowly, just dunked it straight into some water.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

maybe its a dumb newb question but wouldnt thinner shock oil soften the shock with less compression pressure? In my 1:1 air shocks less nitrogen psi makes the set-up softer so sub the nitrogen gas for the shock oil and same principle...
crawlinlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

you can try burying it in dry sand for the cool down. this will help hold the heat in for the cool down. Dry the sand on a baking sheet in the oven at 150deg or so if it seems wet.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinlosi View Post
maybe its a dumb newb question but wouldnt thinner shock oil soften the shock with less compression pressure? In my 1:1 air shocks less nitrogen psi makes the set-up softer so sub the nitrogen gas for the shock oil and same principle...
Well maby but you would lose some damping action of the shock. it would be a bit bouncy and would not compress as well as with a properly set up shock and spring.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote