Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Shocks leak... Heres a fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Shocks leak... Heres a fix

So, I finally got so effen mad at my shocks that leak like a russian sub at crush depth I decided to take matters in my own hands and fix the stupid things once and for all... I know that its a common problem and almost everyone has to deal with it, so... here is what I did. Works perfect.

As a side note, I do have the RcBros shocks, but this should work for any upgraded shock combo that is used for the MRC.

here are the steps

1. Fully dissasemble the entire shock.
2. Clean and inspect everythings. Seals, spacers, shafts... all of it.
3. Break out your stock shocks that came with your MRC. Dissasemble them, pull the o-ring out from underneath the little metal cap that rests on top of the lower shock cap.
4. Clean, and set aside those little o-rings. (dont lose them, or tear them up).
5. remove any fluid from your stock shocks, and re-assemble them.

Now... the rest of this is all for the new upgrade shock that you have.
6. Slide the shock shaft into the shock body.
7. Install the o-ring from the upgraded shock.
8. Install the stock o-ring from the stock MRC shocks.
9. Install any spacers.
10. Now wrap the threads on the shock body the the lower cap tightens down onto with teflon tape. And then tighten the cap down snuggly
11. Fill with your choice of fluid.
12. Make sure you have the upper cap seal in correctly. (if you have the RcBros shocks the seal installs so that the bubble recesses into the cap. not protruding down into the shock body)
13. Make sure you run the shock shaft up and down several, several times to ensure that the fluid has completely filled the shock. Then be sure that you are filling the shock to the proper level.
14. Wrap the upper cap threads on the shock body with teflon tape.
15. Screw down the upper cap.

Now, here are some things you need to be sure and watch out for. Be sure that your shock shaft isn't scared, or marred up. Wrap the teflon tape at least 2 complete wraps around the threads, do not wrap to much, and do not use only one wrap or it will leak. Be sure you do not install the factory MRC o-ring under that upgraded shock o-ring or it could slip into the shaft hole and do absolutely nothing that its supposed to do. Also, be sure that you do not over, or under fill the shocks. And finally, make sure as you wrap the teflon tape around the threads at the top and bottom that you actually leave the tape up higher than the threads themselves, this will allow the teflon tape to fold over and create an even better seal against the metal.

By all means, this is not a definative guidline to how to fix all shocks that leak. It SHOULD work on just about ever upgraded shock combo that is used on the MRC. As I stated before, I have the RcBros shocks, you may have the mini LST shocks, or the Losi upgraded alum. shocks, you may be running something else. So, be sure to pay attention to what you are doing, and be sure that you are paying attention to "sealing" surfaces. Anywhere that there is supposed to be a good seal, then there needs to be one. If you dont have a good seal on the shock shaft its gonna leak, or if the caps aren't sealing, then your gonna have a leak there. Just be sure to pay attention and you can't really go wrong.

Good luck

darryl
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Wow that should really up us out a lot. Thanks for the info.
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Nice write up! I'm not sure I fully understand though maybe I should come up this weekend and watch you do that to my shocks:-P ya know so I will know how to in the future:-P lol
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

*pictures help alot*
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

somebody make this a sticky!
crawlinlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Or you could do what i did for a week before my alluminums came in. Run some blue grease in all the shocksYes some good old blue grease with at least 2hole pistons worked fine for me as long as its at least 70F outside. A lil harder for that to leak out but theres a trick to filling the shocks with it
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
...Be sure that your shock shaft isn't scared...
yes those little guys scare easily like a baby sugar glider! hold them close and comfort them and avoid loud noises and sudden movements.
good details but it would be even better with pics If you don't mind I will add the first pic...
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote