Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Lipo??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #1

Default Losi Lipo??

Anyone running the Losi Lipo? Any advantage to it. Looks like you can stack it next to the steering servo with the optional plate.

http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB9831

What's everyone running for batteries? I'm reading mixed reviews. Should I stay in the 800mah range or should I go higher. I'm reading where some people are running 1300 tp 2000mah. Opinions?
bigjhoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I run the 2s 1300 25C pack from Fusion-Pack. I strap it velcro'd to the top of my 645 Steering servo.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjhoov View Post
Anyone running the Losi Lipo? Any advantage to it. Looks like you can stack it next to the steering servo with the optional plate.

What's everyone running for batteries? I'm reading mixed reviews. Should I stay in the 800mah range or should I go higher. I'm reading where some people are running 1300 tp 2000mah. Opinions?
I've hear that they are getting 20+min on the batt. I my using the 1650 losi 2 cell lipo and getting 40-80 min of run time.
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

so is it just added run time or are we getting more power out of it?? and is it smaller than the stock stick?
andrwplsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrwplsn View Post
so is it just added run time or are we getting more power out of it?? and is it smaller than the stock stick?
there are quite a few advantages to lipo.....its MUCH lighter, no cell memory, dont have to worry about heat, can recharge and discharge all day, no cell memory, much less internal resistence which means the "punch" doesn't go away during the discharge process, more actual output voltage and longer run times for the mAH rating. the cons to lipo are that you can't ever let it go outside of its voltage range or else it can damage/destroy to pack, sometimes in a cloud of smoke and flames. i'm pretty sure that pack is quite a bit smaller than the stocker, but less runtime and more expensive. there are much more reasonably priced packs out there.
LunchboX3904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
RcBros Hobbies

The battery you link to is alright, but the price is outrageous and you can have better for alot less. I bought one myself and it never seemed to hold a charge so gave it away.

I run our zippy batteries here: http://rcbros.com/cart/Scripts/prodV...?idproduct=396 fits perfect on the back axle and get about 20-30 mins of run time
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input guys. I've been away from r/c for a while and picked one the mrc's to play with on the trail while wheeling my 1:1 Early Bronco. I'm trying to get familiar with all the new battery technology. The last batteries I owned were 1700's. That should tell you about how long it's been since I messed with these, early 90's. The battery technology today is outrageous compared to what it was back then.

I'm really not even sure I need lipo's. They seem to be pretty volital if not handled correctly. I think I may just stick with the nimh packs. Although I have seen tem go BOOM too.

I would like to get a Skulz V2 and a set of shocks I think. Does the skulz cahssis do anything for torque twist or is that addressed by going 4-link?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would like to get a Skulz V2 and a set of shocks I think. Does the skulz cahssis do anything for torque twist or is that addressed by going 4-link?
i dont know about the chassis but 4 linking does help out torque twist a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhead4x4 View Post
I've hear that they are getting 20+min on the batt. I my using the 1650 losi 2 cell lipo and getting 40-80 min of run time.
40-80 minute run times?
why such a big margin?
kalin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin96 View Post
40-80 minute run times?
why such a big margin?
My run time can go up and down depenning on how bad i pull the trigger.
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
09 RCA champ!

Quote:

dude! whats up! the losi lipo is a great choice if your running the stock motor. i had a slider motor in there and was only getting about 15 minutes of run time....switched to a 1320 lipo and the runtimes shot up to about 45 minutes...even with the hotter motor. ive got a MRC build thread posted somewhere in here...
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
RcBros Hobbies

Lipo's do have a learning curve but only rarely ever do they get dangerous. If your running them in a fast paced rig with the potential of damaging the battery during a wreck, maybe.. But in a crawler there is really nothing to be worried about. Simply store and charge in a lipo sack for good measures and charge per pack recommendations and you'll be safe. Embrace the new stuff, you won't regret it.

I've seen more nimh explosions then lipo. I've only seen two with lipos that were highly preventable, one was in a plane that fell from about 300 feet from the sky and did a face plant into a road (plane was saved, well broke but pulled away from battery), and the second was because I was dumb and accidently soldered + and - together with the help of my dog landing on my lap lol.

The V2 skulz will not fully eliminate torque twist, but adding the 4 link does help tremedously.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
dude! whats up! the losi lipo is a great choice if your running the stock motor. i had a slider motor in there and was only getting about 15 minutes of run time....switched to a 1320 lipo and the runtimes shot up to about 45 minutes...even with the hotter motor. ive got a MRC build thread posted somewhere in here...

What's up man?

I did some research today on Lipo's at the LHS. I'll be looking for one of he cheaper pack's online as well as a low voltage alarm.

Now, anyone have a suggestion for a cheap, quality charger. Prefer DC so I can use it while camping/wheeling.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #13

do i ever! http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

they have TONS of lipo batteries too for killer prices. only downfall with them is shipping cost and time cause some of their stuff is direct from hong kong or something.

Last edited by LunchboX3904; 07-09-2009 at 12:34 AM.
LunchboX3904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #14

Thanks. I'm liking the looks of these too, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6469
Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #15

Will this lipo work? It says "This pack cannot power a motor of any type." I like the hump packs. I'm gonna try to mount it next to the serco on the front axle.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=258
Old 07-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #16

Well, I looked a little harder and see it says 4C. So I guess the answer is no?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well, I looked a little harder and see it says 4C. So I guess the answer is no?

def. not

look for something 20c or higher
kalin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Most hobbytowns carry eflites or eflite brand of lipos and at least if you go through them your battery is guaranteed. I would not want to run some battery I bought from hong kong in my thousand dollar rig and it catch on fire and not have anyone to blame. And if there is a prob with the battery who can you take it back to? Buy locally man!!! It might be cheaper to buy over seas but you will prob be disappointing in the long run. And to top it off everyone needs as much business as possible right now so why not give it to our local hobby shops? P.S. I picked a 800mah eflite that fits perfectly in my chassis without touching anything else and get about 45 mins from it for about 2o bucks at the LHS, sometimes you have to look in the chopper/plane sections to find what you want. Good luck!

Last edited by Drvnbeing; 07-19-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #19

what kind of charger your using for that battery? thanks!
JeepCJ5LosiMRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJ5LosiMRC View Post
what kind of charger your using for that battery? thanks!
I didn't want to have to buy another charger so I spent a pretty penny on a hyperion cant remember the model it was like 135 bucks.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote