Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 100 Dollar Build Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Default 100 Dollar Build Up

Hey guys, I just picked up a used Losi mini crawler from a buddy of mine. Its bone stock, but we have thrashed it pretty good in the past. All that has been done since I picked it up after work was the new paint job (its 104 degrees outside so i aint goin anywhere outside and i was bored). I have about 100 dollars to play with and was wondering what upgrades would you recomend. I was thinking metal lockers at least mid and rear diffs. The only reason for no fronts is that when I wheel for real i rarely use the front locker and am trying to stretch the budget, Losi coilvers, and maybe metal spindles. Is this a good starting point?

Thanks!

Anyone in the Bay Area? Are there any good places to crawl?
Retarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The center locker usually holds longer than the front/rear; most go front and rear, and do the center only with "extra money." Tires, rims, and shocks are often after the front/rear lockers. Losi "Blue" Claws or Proline Flatirons seem to be quite popular tire choices, with the Blue Claws perhaps being a bit cheaper without falling short in performance (I like mine!). Axial 8-hole beadlocks are a popular [cheaper, as they're plastic] choice for rims (I like mine!). And there's a small variety of aluminum threaded shocks that will work for the Losi MRC. Opinions on shocks vary; though the RCBros shocks seem to be popular (they do have good service and good products for the MRC, including aluminum lockers). That's about $100...

If you are referring to the S.F. Bay Area, try Searching the California sub-forum, lots of threads about places to crawl there in S.F. and in the South and/or East Bay, etc. There's lots of good info in many of the specific forums, actually, and the Search will be helpful - especially if you're looking to further modify this thing...there's quite a few things you can do for free or cheap.

Welcome.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 07-14-2009 at 11:30 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Metal lockers if you dont have them.

Jammin Chassis $24: 1.9 Jammin MRC Chassis

Order here: http://jamminfabrication.com/JamminMRCChassis.html

Cross beadlocks (-2mm offset) $55: Jammin Fabrication/Motoworx Racing 1.9 Beadlocks!

Order here:
http://motoworxracing.com/rc_wheels.htm

Losi threaded shocks. online stores about $35

So I guess thats 114 without the lockers and your rig will be alot more capable and stable and you will lose some of the torqe twist!

Good luck with the build!
JFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #4

i would forget the shocks for now. just get oil and springs for tuning. I would use that money on tires and rims. like the guy above me, i also have axial beadlocks and they look fantastic. I'm super poor and just needed front tires so I mated them with a pair of blue claws and put em up front. i like them both a lot and will get a pair of each for the rear when i can. you could also make beadlocks out of the stock rims for a real budget setup. A better servo will also be a huge help. the stock one barely passes in strength, but is plastic geared and mine is making funny noises after 4 months. depending on the servo, you may need a BEC which is 20 bucks. After all those, you've probably burned up 100 bucks, but you'll have twice the crawler than before. if you're a fan of custom mods, make some axle plates and pick up some links for a 4-link setup and now you've got a pretty nice crawler.

honestly, tires are going to make the largest noticable difference so I would start there first. after that is kinda personal preference based on weaknesses of the truck in the terrain you're in.

Last edited by LunchboX3904; 07-15-2009 at 12:13 AM.
LunchboX3904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #5

Thanks alot guys. Im gonna call around and see what i can find in town and hopefully pick some new parts up today.
Retarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

If I only had 100 bucks to spend heres what I would do..
Front and rear lockers .... 35.00
PVC beadlock mod to stock wheels 5.00
new tires 40.00
better servo 20.00

thats 100. It wont get you the best servo, but anything is better than the stocker.

you could, and should do the long list of free mods, and you will be in real good shape.

Good luck
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
RcBros Hobbies

The best out of the box upgrade to your MRC would be tires, then replace items as they break. The stock tires are horrible and the stock MRC does great with some upgraded tires. As mentioned things to often break will be lockers and servo. Lower your electronics down low and add some weight to the front wheels and go have some fun.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote