Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Newb Battery Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Newb Battery Question

Hey guys, I have a real newb question for you. Can the stock batteries get fried to a point where they will not hold a charge? Originally I thought that I had a blown esc after searching on here and finding the same symptoms of it driving straight for a few seconds and then stopping as a red light blinked on the esc. I bought a new esc two days ago but have run into the same situation. Im wondering now could it be the battery? After looking more, it is my understanding the esc will do that if the battery is too low to function. Thanks!
Retarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #2

I am ass-u-me ing that your term for stock batteries are Sub-C NiMihs. In some instances you can "fry" a cell from the first charge, by overcharging, first use from too much load; heat, or just a faulty battery.

Rare though, it does happen, look at the positive end of the cell, it should bright and shiny. If it has a golden hue (varnish color) to it, its vented. This hue can be scraped off, it will flake. This is caused by the chemical reaction between the plates inside of the cell. The size of the venting can vary from gassing (no visable residue) to a destructive blow out. Sound can vary from a slight ppfffffffffttt to a phfssssst! The cell/pack can rocket itself across the room, it may not.

It has been my expereince that the #2 or #5 (then #3 or #4) cell in a pack are the one's to do this first. Check voltage and heat underload, the bad cell will be obvious. You can replace the cell you want to. If its a stick pack, you can rebuild it, replacing the battery, and configuring it side by side or saddle pack configuration. It will work for awhile for bashing.

I have been using LiPo exclusively for the last two years and have yet to fail. My first generation LiPo's did after 18 months of use. These just puffed up. Do not use a LiPo battery that has puffed.
Rick Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

First things first, check the batteries in the radio... make sure they are new, and good.

If they aren't, then they can cause the same problems that you are describing.

If after you have replaced them, then disconnect the servo plug from the reciever, and then try to drive it forward, if it works, then the problem is with the servo, if it doesnt, then the problem is in the esc.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote