Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: So, I guess its my turn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default So, I guess its my turn

Well, my rear axle finally started the dreaded "popping" noise.
I pulled it apart and it seems as tho the pinion and ring gear are not meshing properly...

I shimmed the pinion, and it did not help... Any ideas?
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like it's already to late. Once it starts popping it's usually done. Mine started popping as well. I couldn't tell from which axle. It happened more whenever turing, so I assumed it was from the front. Once I had it down I noticed the pinion was worn out. The ring gear wear patterned look as if it the pinion depth height was off but the wear on the pinion looked as if the back lash was off. So I've got some on order. Once they arive I'll paint it and check the pattern.
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Replacing just the gears may not fix it. My rear did it, replaced the gears and it got better but did not go away fully, then it eventually got so bad it wouldnt climb pretty much. Replaced the axle housing, and new gear set and all is well. The problem is the axle housing starts to flex under load allowing the gearset to unmesh and pop.

Buy a bag of axle housings and replace em. they are cheap and make a world of difference.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
Replacing just the gears may not fix it. My rear did it, replaced the gears and it got better but did not go away fully, then it eventually got so bad it wouldnt climb pretty much. Replaced the axle housing, and new gear set and all is well. The problem is the axle housing starts to flex under load allowing the gearset to unmesh and pop.

Buy a bag of axle housings and replace em. they are cheap and make a world of difference.
x2!! I went through three ring and pinion sets before figuring this out. You might want to change your bearing too. If you can I would just check on ebay for a new axle. Good luck! P.S. consider how much weight your running, I lowered my weight a lot and have not had a problem since (knocks on wood).
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
RcBros Hobbies

I found out awhile ago it was the housing flexing. So instead of buying them all the time, the cheapest and effective fix is to extend a screw all the way through the case with a nut securing it. I have one in the pic below and another on the opposite hole.

RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
I found out awhile ago it was the housing flexing. So instead of buying them all the time, the cheapest and effective fix is to extend a screw all the way through the case with a nut securing it. I have one in the pic below and another on the opposite hole.

I did all 4 x 2
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yep, nutting and bolting it together seems to be the best bet...

I'll be doing that, thanks for the tips
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote