Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Darksoul chassis/shock mount question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Default Darksoul chassis/shock mount question

I picked up the Darksoul inboard shock mount yesterday. I spent the better part of the afternoon rebuilding my rig, but I can't for the life of me get the shock mount situated correctly. There is no chance of using the stock Losi servo no matter where I mount the shocks. I imagine I've put something together wrong, I was under the impression that the shock mount would fit without modifying anything. I will put some pics up tonight when I get home from work. Just wondering if anyone else ran into this issue? I am running the Darksould chassis.

I ordered a Futaba s9551 servo this morning that should help a bit, but I'd still like to see if I did something wrong. Anyone care to comment, or show pics of their chassis and how much clearance you've got? Thanks!
fastev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #2

Default Stock servo + inboard shock mount.

Hope it's helps!

softmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Why would you need to use that silver cross member piece above the shock mount? If you ask me, it just gets in the way. The shock mount will act as the cross member itself. No? In fact, I thought the pics I had seen showed the shock mount positioned where that silver piece is now.

Mike
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmode View Post
Hope it's helps!

That does, thank you. Looks like you had to go way low and inboard to get enough clearance as well. Same thing I ran into. I ended up tossing the mount in my parts box and am back to running the shocks mounted outboard of the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
Why would you need to use that silver cross member piece above the shock mount? If you ask me, it just gets in the way. The shock mount will act as the cross member itself. No? In fact, I thought the pics I had seen showed the shock mount positioned where that silver piece is now.

Mike
Curious as well?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I ran into that same problem when I tried mounting the steering servo. I also purchased the S9551. Great servo... I'm running the shocks inboard with the mount on the top row, all the way back. works great. I moved the battery to the side of the chassis opposite of the motor. Adding that little bit of weight even though up higher than the rear link I felt the truck worked better.
chetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #6

The servo is great! Plenty of power, and the size couldn't be more perfect. While a bit on the pricey side, they are worth it. I'm going to try mounting my battery on the side of the chassis as well. You're the second person that has mentioned that to me. How did you secure it to the chassis? I will probably fab up a thin carbon or delrin plate with slots for a couple velcro straps. I just got a few 1300 lipos that seem to fit just about perfect there.
Did you move the servo to the middle of the plate? I think I will do that as well, I'm running Proline wheels and have to give up a LOT of steering because they rub on the servo. I think something new is in order...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I just use a velco strap, it works great. Nothing else needed. I use the proline wheels and chisels so I had to move the servo to the center of the plate to get some steering back. I also use the LOSI upgraded knuckles (drilled out to 3mm) and C's and made my own over the axle steering link.

I'm also running CVD's and I'm able to turn enough to have the knuckles touch the C's.

Last edited by chetly; 08-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #8

Good deal, thanks for the help! I am making a new front plate today with a center mounted servo, and the battery will go on the side. Saves me from a new set of wheels...
Old 08-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I just drilled on the Darl Soul front plate.