Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: soundcolor and MrEd round 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default soundcolor and MrEd round 2

Let me preface all of this by saying there will be no video, or pics... we were to busy crawling and by the time we got around to taking pics, my battery was dead... So, lets first give a breakdown of the specs of each rig, and then we'll get to the comparo.

Soundcolor rig
Full miXer chassis
RcBros 'red' shocks (50wt oil)
Losi mini slider motor (factory spur gear, dual heatsinks)
stock electronics
stock battery (split into 4 cells on rear axle, and 2 in center of chassis)
Hitech 645 servo
RcBros servo arm
custom steering links
stock axles
Losi steel lockers (front/rear/center)
Axial 1.9 8 hole beadlocks
Pro-line Flat Irons G8

MrEd's rig
Kamakazi Kustoms chassis
MLST shocks (white springs, 20wt oil)
Insane 370 motor
micro sidewinder esc
futaba reciever
Hitech 645 servo
stock steering links
stock axles
Losi steel lockers (front/rear/center0
Axial 1.9 8 hole beadlocks
Pro-line chisels

I guess now its time to break down perfomance by individual part and give a honest opinion about which is the better product. Hopefully it will give those of you out shopping a good idea of which is the better product.

Well, after about 2 hours at my little creekside rock course it became apparant. His chisels are the tire. The Flat-irons got the ground clearance, and thats about all. Those little micro-machine chisles are the shit. There is no comparison. Even tho they are small, they are killer. We each took turns with the chisels on our own rig and there is no doubt, that they ruled the day. They climbed better, sidehilled better and just flat stuck to whatever you put them on.
Advantage MrEd
Motor, it became obvious early on (due in part to an impromptu drag race... with rock crawlers) as to which motor was the one to have. Both had all the torque needed to get up and over anything, but without a doubt, the mini slider motor stomped the insane 370 all the way up the street and back down. I would rate them about equal as to overall torque, but there was no doubt, the slider is faster.
Advantage Soundcolor
Electronics.
As far as this goes, all I can really say is it was pretty well a wash, he had the more expensive electronics, and his radio was waaayyyyyy cooler, but that micro sidewinder really needs a drag brake that works. There was one hill descent in particular where my rig easily, and slowly creeped down under complete control, where as the the sidewinder had alot of problems with excess speed. However, it really is a wash here because while mine had a great drag brake, his ultimatly excersises a greater amount of control over his hole system. As for the the reciever, its really a wash here too. Sooooo,
Advantage... EVEN
Suspension setup
There was no doubt and it did not take long for it to become apparant that his springs were killing him. My full droop setup is low, and moves really well... Other than that tho, it really breaks down to the actuall shocks themselves, at which point I personally have to give the go ahead to the RcBros shocks soley because of their customization ability, you can fine tune these things till you are blue in the face. The MLST shocks are extermely good, and are just as capable as the RcBros, its just they dont have the fine-tuning ability as the RcBros
Advantage soundcolor

And the moment we have all been waiting for, which chassis is better.
I am going to call this a wash. They are both outstanding, and there is not doubt they stomp the stock chassis so hard its not even worth comparing.
The mixer chassis does have a huge tendency to get hung up on the skid, its just the nature of the beast, and running a full droop only makes the problem more apparent. On the other hand, the KK zero has a huge glaring problem that cant be overlooked. Becuase of how the upper links mount to the servo plates it allows alot of side-to-side movement, which can cause some sidehilling problems as well as for the chassis to want to get out of line. On a whole tho, I would honestly recommend either one, they are both killer.
Both RcBros and Kamakazi Kustoms should be proud of their chassis, they are without a doubt awsome.

Now, I will leave this open for Mr.Ed to add his comments.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #2

Good read, thanks for posting. I am going to have to pick up a set of Chisels to compare to my blue Claws.
fastev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

You should really try some cut n shut Panther Cobras like Kamikaze.

I made some and they rule the rocks.
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Oh boy here we go...soundcolor yer uh well yeah you kinda nailed it! both did a great job today and I don't what it is about soundcolor and pictures you tend to forget all about the camera it's just weird!

I agree on the shocks I do wish I could do more with my shocks but they'll have to do for now. but soon My kk rig will be all drooped up on 90weight to see if I can get that kinda movement. This was the 1st time I've seen droop shocks in action and it was COOL!

down hills were killing me with the sidewinder and the FI"S so drag break really helps out in that department.

Chisels really just kick FI's Ass in the MRC crawling truely a great tire!

Soundcolor has also been practiseing he was a much better driver this time then the last. miXer or KK Mini Zero if you cant drive or know your rigs limits it doesn't matter how you rig is set up. No amount of money put into your rig will cover up crappy driveing!

there is some lateral axle movement on the Kk chassis but it is minimal at best and the miXer has that skid hang up issue but both chassis were a million times better than stock either one would be a great buy but the KK Mini zero is better cuz that's what I'm drivein!:-P

time for us to hit a new spot and try out some new rocks and post up some more fun stuff....I mean technical information useful to the crawler scene.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Kev View Post
You should really try some cut n shut Panther Cobras like Kamikaze.

I made some and they rule the rocks.

I watched Kamikaze's rig in action at the last comp ( he uh did a little better than me uh so did gatekeeper and trace ) but that doesn't matter, ( they just got a little more practise then me...yeah that sounds good:-P) I did want to get a set of those tires they are soooo sticky it's creepy! but ( there's always a Butt ) when he was laid over on the side and you wish your tires would slip just enough to get you going again his would not. they were also larger than the blue claws ( gatekeeper and trace's tires ) and larger than the chisels. my Chisels hooked up as good and I believe I no longer want the cobras. Now if Panther tires put out a 1.9 comp tire I would definately try them out, do I have the talent to cut and shut a pair??????....let's go with........no.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Oh boy here we go...soundcolor yer uh well yeah you kinda nailed it! both did a great job today and I don't what it is about soundcolor and pictures you tend to forget all about the camera it's just weird!

Amazing isn't it. Ya know the funny thing.... We both had camera's with us, and nobody bothered to use theirs... But its ok, I'll take the blame, its all my fault.

I agree on the shocks I do wish I could do more with my shocks but they'll have to do for now. but soon My kk rig will be all drooped up on 90weight to see if I can get that kinda movement. This was the 1st time I've seen droop shocks in action and it was COOL!

Yes, I know they are. Good of me to offer yet another tip/trick to get you up and running on "The Level".

down hills were killing me with the sidewinder and the FI"S so drag break really helps out in that department.

Chisels really just kick FI's Ass in the MRC crawling truely a great tire!

Hey, I'm gonna need to borrow your chisels. At least for the foreseeable future. You might as well go ahead and just buy me a set. I mean you do want me to keep crawlin with you dont you...?

Soundcolor has also been practiseing he was a much better driver this time then the last. miXer or KK Mini Zero if you cant drive or know your rigs limits it doesn't matter how you rig is set up. No amount of money put into your rig will cover up crappy driveing!

Practice. Whats that. No seriously, this time I knew for sure that there would be no excusses allowed for me. It was either put up or shut up. I am glad tho that you picked up that "excusses" torch. You carry it so well.

there is some lateral axle movement on the Kk chassis but it is minimal at best and the miXer has that skid hang up issue but both chassis were a million times better than stock either one would be a great buy but the KK Mini zero is better cuz that's what I'm drivein!:-P

Minimal... HAHA... that KK chassis has more lateral movement than a well paid stripper. LOL
No seriously tho, both chassis performed exceptionally well. I am utterly blown away at just how good they both are. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest either one to anybody. They are just that good. As for the KK being better. Sure, if you dont mind getting your ass handed to you all day long.

time for us to hit a new spot and try out some new rocks and post up some more fun stuff....I mean technical information useful to the crawler scene.

Yeah, without a doubt. Be on the lookout, and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

It was a fun time by all. Next time, I promise, pics and video
Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The Chisel's . Did you use the small losi mem foam or the big pro-line mem foams?

Last edited by fa1rch1ld; 08-05-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Because I cant spell
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

He is definatly using the small losi foam
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i just want to thank both soundcolor and Mr. Ed for all of your information!
I have learned lots about the MRC from both of you. I really enjoy your write ups like this as they are based of real events, But you do really need to include photos
snowblader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yet another jab at me... honestly I dont know why I am always the one to blame...

Ya know what, from now on I wont even crawl... I'll just be the cameraman.

No, no... its cool.

:-P
Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

:-P

The way that I see it is that if you are having fun doing somthing, who cares if you take pictures and or video, they only add beauty to the thread and widdle out the people that never actually read the posts, so in most cases like this when you are explaning how things worked and comparing two setups, there is no true reason for them.

But no seriously keep this kind of thread alive because they are the most help. I am building my rig based off of your guys experiance and recomendations.

Thanks again
snowblader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

thanks bro, I appreciate the kind words.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I watched Kamikaze's rig in action at the last comp ( he uh did a little better than me uh so did gatekeeper and trace )
So how did Gatekeeper and Trace's rigs do? Maybe you could include some info on what chassis they were running and how they worked?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
So how did Gatekeeper and Trace's rigs do? Maybe you could include some info on what chassis they were running and how they worked?

Gatekeeper and trace were both running his chassis and of course they did AWESOME! they could have probally whipped my ass with a stock MRC I would like see them run a course with thier rigs and then switch to a factory rig and see how they do! Both these guys got too much talent and I had no business trying to run with em but it was FUN. and I held my own till my transmisson exploded!

Anyway, Their rigs were point and shoot just as the kk was. I honestly say that there was not a gate or a turn where I thought that a better chassis would have helped any more. I did not have a chance to drive the GC2 so I guess I really cant say for sure. both chassis were built by VERY VERY good drivers who know thier sh%t!