Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: JeepinCA's MRC Rockshow Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

what kind of chassis is that? It looks awsome
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyder View Post
what kind of chassis is that? It looks awsome
http://www.t1erc.com/shop/ccp0-prodshow/rockshow_m.html

It is a T1E mini rockshow!
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnake View Post
I really like your rig! cool test vid too. where did ya get them cute little lipos? Can't wait to see with body pannels, if ya go that route.:-P
I try to buy USA, but have heard good things about those Mystery Lipos so I decided to try them out... I found them on the 'bay, got both of them shipped from Hong Kong for under 20 clams. They arrived in less than 3 weeks.

Indeed, the Mini Rockshow is a sexy little beast. There's a bit of torque twist with my setup, but she still crawls really well...she'll be dialed in soon.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 11-25-2009 at 09:46 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I moved the upper links up a notch on the chassis and it's helped, a bit, with the torque twist. Though her chassis still rolls when all four tires hit moderate resistance, she went from 55 to 58 degrees on the ramp and she can make it to the top before the twist starts to lift the front right.

I need to clock the front axle back a bit now - wheelbase aside, is it better to shorten the uppers, or lengthen the lowers?

I still haven't tried springs inside the shocks... And I suppose I could try moving the links up another notch to see what happens.

Here's how she's sitting now full droop:

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-06-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Still playing here...

I made upper links that were a bit shorter, and mounted them in the closest set of holes so that the axle mounts weren't sitting on the upper links while the rig is at rest.
I also re-oiled the shocks, as they were leaking a bit and one was acting up; it was a bit nasty inside. I'm not sure I like these shocks. They're just the HRs, as I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the Losi route.

I was rummaging through the spare parts box and I came across the ol' MRC's stock tires (that I had pulled the foam and added lead rope). Wondering how different weight in the tires change things on the ramp, I tried the old tires on the back, and added 1.5oz to the front axle. Just the slight weight differences made a noticeable gain on the ramp, raising it from about 59 to 62 degrees.

So I gained gained about 3 degrees by adding 1.5ounces to the front axle and losing 1.6ounces (.8oz/tire) in the rear...
Front - ATI's Terminator Wheels: 4.8ounces with Chisels, plus 1.75ounces centered on the axle
Rear - Losi stock MRC 'beadlocks': w/o foam, w/ weight: 4ounces with stock crap-Claws

...I love these ATI wheels, but with the increase in performance with the added weight up front, and the shed weight in the rear, I think I want something adjustable...?

While I've been messing around with her, being long or heavy on the trigger she's been getting warmer than I've felt comfortable with, considering it's the cooler time of year...so I ordered another CC BEC and wired her up. I tried to keep it plug-n-play, but neat at the same time:

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #26

hey man hows that set up treating you? ive got an rcbros chassis, been looking for a new one.
ncsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsam View Post
hey man hows that set up treating you? ive got an rcbros chassis, been looking for a new one.
I like it a lot. It's my first build, so I've been learning much along the way, some things the hard way (which is half the fun). I still can't decide whether I'm committed to droop or not, though. I haven't found the right combination of link/shock adjustment and I think it's the shocks.

I ordered some .060 Lexan and picked up a heat gun from Harbor Freight to try my hand at my first body panels. That was a learning experience:
-Lexan really does snap well if scored with a blade (I was relieved to find even the .060 did this, as I knew I didn't want to hit it with a cutting wheel)
-heat it slow when trying to bend, it'll bubble and paint doesn't hide the bubbles
-tight bends are challenging (heat slow, especially when frustrated, as I found with the hood!)
-paint will exploit every flaw in your masking (as you can see with the hood; but aside the hood and bubbles, the worst flaws are a few areas where the tape's adhesive wasn't adequately cleaned off before putting down the black)

But hey, it was my first time cutting, bending, and painting panels...I'm rather pleased with what I learned. And I think the sides and roof came out quite well considering cheap Walmart/OSH paint, the only good stuff being the black in Krylon Fusion. The hood is going to be a 'do-over' when I'm in the mood to try it again, and feel like tackling the bend for the trunk, which didn't work out for me a few times (so I gave up on that one for now).

I was trying to minimize the amount of mounting points while adding a nice flowing curve to the front, hence the bend in the hood panel that fits on the front brace. I didn't need to make it so tight - a slight curve would have sufficed and made painting a little easier. Lol...and in the end the number of mounting (zip tie) points is the same.
As this was my first painting, I wanted to keep it simple, but not just a single color. I got frustrated with what I was trying to create with the hood, ended up saying fawk it, and did the cheesy arrow. Is tape or liquid mask better for custom masking patterns??

A few coats of the bright orange (OSH paint), backed by white then silver (both cheap Walmart cans), finished with black (Krylon Fusion):

Not bad from the side!

Crappy hood shot!

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-06-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: grahamer en stuph
Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

I like the panels and all the paint but the hood. LOL

Try taking Brake fluid and stripping it off and give it another shot. On the hood, I would bring the two stripes down from the roof and just do the same as the sides...or just make it like this: U

Last edited by mascman; 01-03-2010 at 05:19 AM.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

A while back I got around to repainting that hood panel to match the roof...

A quick picture before the COW RC experience:

Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

And this is how she currently looks following her COW RC inspired experience.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #31
RCC Addict

I really like your mini! Your's is making me want to take my mini out of retirement.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

THIS THING LOOKS AWESOME!!!
I wish I could afford one of these chassis's.
bluechevytuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #33
MODERHATER™

I was actually thinking on making some cow skins for my mini Rockshow as well!

Looks good and fitting!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
And this is how she currently looks following her COW RC inspired experience.

You are looking... MOO-tified my friend!

Who needs cow bells when you have Cow Print!

Heath
The Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Looking good! I see your lil lipos are still doin there job too. Nice cow cammo...
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Thanks, guys. The Cow Skins were my second go at bending and painting lexan. They didn't bubble quite as bad as the original set I made a while back...a little slower with the heat next time! Of course, at .06, they're a little thick.

I need some silver paint so I can back the whole thing with black, properly. It looks OK now, but with the right lighting there are shadow differences with the light as it tries to pass through.

The whole process was fun, and educational. I can see how an air brush and some learning time could be a whole lot of fun.

Now....to just find her a little scale Cow Bell to hang from the front.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #37

Thumbs up

*sigh* someday my MRC will look like that. Thats a sweet chassis btw
ametr-crwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Why did you refer to the comp claws as "crap claw" lol. I really like the comp claws, especially over chisels any day.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattymojo View Post
Why did you refer to the comp claws as "crap claw" lol. I really like the comp claws, especially over chisels any day.
I said "stock crap-Claws" - the stock claws that the MRC comes with leave much to be desired. In that section I discuss tire weight and how I tested the rig's reaction to weight changes - using the stock tires for comparison.

The Blue Claws I have used are good tires and I liked them fine. I do like the Chisels better, though.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-07-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #40
Just jump it!

Just reading thru your thread. Build looks great!!
Your wheels had points , did you cut them off?
I actually like them with the points !!
Couldn't really see where you had the lower part of your rear shocks mounted but i moved mine on the outside of the tab closer to the wheel and it helped with the tt. (But i bet yours are already there.)

Last edited by rottenbelly; 06-23-2010 at 06:12 AM.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote