Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Insane 370 overheating stock ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Losi Insane 370 overheating stock ESC

After researching the forum I chose to upgrade my stock motor to the Losi Insane 370. Other than the shaft being a little short for the pinion gear, it installed just fine.. I set the the gear mesh what I think was a little loose to start to insure that I don't get any binding.

Well.. The little motor is an incredible upgrade to stock.. I love it...

I puttered around the wood pile I have and the small rock pile with no issues. There is a definite improvement over stock.

Then I thought that I'd do a run to the house over the yard at a constant speed to maybe help break-in the motor. Got to the house, tried to crawl up the a ramp over the steps and it died.. Red light flashing on the ESC..

My immediate thought is that I'll need to upgrade the ESC.. But I'm not really in the position to do that yet..

Do you think if I stay away from the high speed runs I'll get by with the stock ESC for a bit? (I know, loaded question.)
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

yeah long high speed runs will kill a crawler esc well atleast the stock esc. you may try to drop to a 12 tooth pinion and see how you like it.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.. That was going to be my next question is if I needed to do a different pinion!!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Keep it real

I ran the same combo, Insane with stock ESC, for a couple months and never had the esc overheat. The motor tends to get a little warm, but nothing crazy. I didn't run it wide open over long distances though, but I didn't take it easy on it either.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

One thing you can do to keep it from overheating is to pull the covers off the ESC, pull that uselss piece of plastic out from under the heatsink and apply some good quality heat sink paste to it, and re-install.
The heatsink can then effectively do its job.

Note, the heatsink may still be warm to the touch, but the electonics will be alot cooler. And you wont have to worry about overheating it.
I did it to my stocker when I had my Mini Slider Motor in, and it brought the temps down over 20 degrees.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
yeah long high speed runs will kill a crawler esc well atleast the stock esc. you may try to drop to a 12 tooth pinion and see how you like it.
X2 The regearing should let the stock ESC run a little cooler. With lower gearing, yes you sacrifice a little speed but improve on low end torque. Plus the less effort it takes to get/keep moving, the less heat it will generate...

As Soundcolor noted to taking the ESC cover off. Thats good too, providing you dont live in a moist climate!

A question, though... Are you running stock wheels and tires, or aftermarket goods? Taller tires and overweighted wheels causes more resistance which makes the motor work harder and hotter, thus causing the ESC to also work harder and why you are needing needing that 12 tooth pinion.

Last edited by crawlinlosi; 08-29-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added content
crawlinlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone...

I ran it a bunch yesterday and I don't think it was overheating now. It might just have been a drained battery.. The new motor sucks the 1500 NI-MH much quicker.. DUH!!! You can tell when the batt's get low as it starts to get unresponsive but I didn't run them to the point that it died and the ESC started flashing the red light.

I'm running CKRC's aluminum bead locks and 1.9 Proline chisels. I have weighted the front wheels with a wrap of pencil lead.. Not sure what that weighs though. Stock type batteries velcro'd to the back axle.. It has a 645 servo, receiver dropped to the rear lower links, ESC if taped to the top of the motor, metal diff's, Losi aluminum shocks limited 1/4" and the body dropped about 3/4".

I'm waiting on Jeff's KK Mini MRC chassis and I did find a really good deal on a mini sidewinder ESC last night.. So these should be in within a week or so..

Still holding of on going lipo, but I'll probably pull the trigger on that in a month or so..

Overall very happy with the rig so far...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwrangler08 View Post

I'm waiting on Jeff's KK Mini MRC chassis and I did find a really good deal on a mini sidewinder ESC last night.. So these should be in within a week or so..

Still holding of on going lipo, but I'll probably pull the trigger on that in a month or so..

Overall very happy with the rig so far...
I think he closed his business, so unless you had a chassis on order you won't be able to get on. It sucks, it was the chassis i wanted too.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm told that Jeff got an offer that he couldn't refuse It sounded like someone else would be selling his chassis's.. All outstanding orders were going to be filled promptly.. Mine is supposed to be in the mail.