Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: overdrive gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default overdrive gears

ok so i know they dont make them for the mini but has any one tried running differnt size tires on the front than the back wouldnt it work the same way has anyone tried and if so dose it work like running flatirons on one end and chisels on the other
crawler pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yep, that would give you the overdrive effect. now you just need to figure out if the flat irons are going to be good enough for you, I've heard the Chisels are the $hit!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

i have butchered flat irons now but was thinking of trying the whole cut and shut method on some panthers and maybe run chisels on the other end
Old 11-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You want to run smaller tires on one end and bigger ones on the other?

If you run chisels in the rear and flatirons in the front then the front tires will drag the rears because they would not be turning as fast. When something is 4 wheel drive all four tires need to be the same size. If you run different sized tires front and back you need to figure out what gear ratios to run in the axles so the tires turn the same speed.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
You want to run smaller tires on one end and bigger ones on the other?

If you run chisels in the rear and flatirons in the front then the front tires will drag the rears because they would not be turning as fast. When something is 4 wheel drive all four tires need to be the same size. If you run different sized tires front and back you need to figure out what gear ratios to run in the axles so the tires turn the same speed.
thats the idea i want the back to drag a bit works almost like a dig but not quiet and keeps the rig from getting bound up in places
Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler pilot View Post
thats the idea i want the back to drag a bit works almost like a dig but not quiet and keeps the rig from getting bound up in places
Do you think the tire size is close to one pinion tooth difference? The tire size is a big difference. I think i will have to throw a pair on tomorrow to see what happens. FI on the front?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

let me know how it works out for you i know they run diffrent gear sizes in the 2.2s for the reason i mentioned before and it also helps with the stalling on a few diffrent kinds of rigs dont have my stock tires any more or else i would have tried it already
Old 11-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I tried it and saw no gain. Even with the cut FlatIrons on front and Losi claws in back. I found I lost on traction just enough on the front to make the gain a loss. I tried a turning radius check on a sandstone slab and on dirt...no noticable difference...if anything it's a little worse because the larger front tire cuts my turning radius. I tried goosing the throttle too with no real change.

I will keep watching to see if anyone else likes it.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler pilot View Post
i have butchered flat irons now but was thinking of trying the whole cut and shut method on some panthers and maybe run chisels on the other end
I dont think you'll get what your looking for I would just try a stiffer foam set up in the rear and soft in the front. Here's a shot of the cut cobras next to the FI's and chisels. cobras and chisels are about the same size.

Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm running an overdrive gear ratio on the front and it does help a little. My turning radius became slightly smaller and on 1 or 2 occasions my rig could pull a line that others have struggled. All in all I don't think it's worth the time and effort to do it.
Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicksAreR View Post
I'm running an overdrive gear ratio on the front and it does help a little. My turning radius became slightly smaller and on 1 or 2 occasions my rig could pull a line that others have struggled. All in all I don't think it's worth the time and effort to do it.
How did you do it? I'm not going to try it, i'm just curious.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I took a r&p that my friend gave me from his parts bin and modified the ring gear to fit. Sorry I don't even know the car it comes on. Used the stock pinion but had to make a new locker for the ring gear. Not running it anymore cause it blew after a few comps.
Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Thats a cool idea!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

well thanks for the help always trying to find little ways to improve apon things