Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Full Sized Servo + Stock ESC = Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Full Sized Servo + Stock ESC = Problem?

I'm running the stock ESC with a HH mini-torquemaster on 2 cells - I recently replaced the servo with a cheapo full sized. (planning to move the HS654MG from my big crawler when I replace it) - anyway, today was the first time I've ran it with the full sized servo, and I found that if the wheels are turned, the motor stalls... I'm guessing that's an issue with the ESC, correct? I really like the drag brake on the stock ESC, but if it's got to go, it's got to go... what do you recommend as a cheap replacement?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I've been running the stock ESC and a 645mg servo for a year with no issues.Start replacing one thing at a time back to how it was ,you will eventualy find the source of the problem.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

bec unit- enough said
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Do you have some sort of low voltage alarm for your Lipo? Maybe you damaged it and it's low on power.

I only did one comp running the stock ESC and motor, full sized servo with a castle BEC on 2 cells and had no problems.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I thought about a BEC, but I thought that would go the other way... Meaning that the BEC would keep the motor from taking power from the servo. This appears to be that the servo is taking power from the motor.

I actually only went to the full sized servo because the mini servo that was on it let the magic smoke out, and all I had to put in it was a full size.

I don't **think** it's the battery, because even under a big load, there is plenty of power as long as I don't try to turn the wheels.
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
I thought about a BEC, but I thought that would go the other way... Meaning that the BEC would keep the motor from taking power from the servo. This appears to be that the servo is taking power from the motor.

The BEC takes power from the battery and sends it to the servo, thus relieving the servo load from the ESC. This way the ESC only has to run the motor. Also running a BEC allows you to send more power to your servo, which will make it perform better.

It sounds like your just trying to pull too much power from the ESC with the motor and servo. The BEC should help the problem.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCnoob View Post
The BEC takes power from the battery and sends it to the servo, thus relieving the servo load from the ESC. This way the ESC only has to run the motor. Also running a BEC allows you to send more power to your servo, which will make it perform better.

It sounds like your just trying to pull too much power from the ESC with the motor and servo. The BEC should help the problem.
+1.
The Castle Creations BEC is the popular choice.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
I'm running the stock ESC with a HH mini-torquemaster on 2 cells - I recently replaced the servo with a cheapo full sized. (planning to move the HS654MG from my big crawler when I replace it) - anyway, today was the first time I've ran it with the full sized servo, and I found that if the wheels are turned, the motor stalls... I'm guessing that's an issue with the ESC, correct? I really like the drag brake on the stock ESC, but if it's got to go, it's got to go... what do you recommend as a cheap replacement?
When does the motor stalls, at FULL turn or just any amount of steering.

If at full turn we are back to end point adjustments on Tx.
If any amount of turn it's a bad servo or installed wrong.

If the ESC and motor or in good working order, you should not have any problems if the end point adjustments or correct on the Tx. Using a correctly set up servo horn/wheel with an adjustable steering link (from the horn) is about the only way to get the end points 50/50 if using the STOCK MRC Tx.

I'm using a 645mg with stock ESC & motor with 2c (x2). I am shocked at just how good the stock parts are.

When parts show up I'm adding 4ws, (only then) I do expect the motor to stall in HIGHT TRACTION area at full 4w steering lock "only" because the f/r diffs are locked.
halfcab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up a fullsize cheep servo and the bec the guy at the hobby store said that it would stop the power drain to the motor and not burn up my esc so im going to hook it up and see how it does.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote