Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC Servos....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MRC Servos....

I know most guys go for the larger, high torque servos w/ their MRC, but I was wondering if the below "Mini" sized servo would work for my next application, because when I strip the Losi servos again, I don't want to rebuild them - serious pain!

Would this mini metal gear servo work as a Drop In fit? I want to stay w/ the same size of servo as stock, as I am running the Losi LiPo battery on my front axle, and have no desire to chase down custom servo mounts, either.

If anyone has any feedback, I would truly appreciate it - thanks!

http://www.helidirect.com/hitec-hs22...sal-p-2305.hdx
Rare Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I had bought a hit ec mini metal gear servo, and in 2 days it burnt out, but thats with no servo saver on it. I put in the losi, no saver and it died the same day. So I upgraded to a full size, but also bought a new radio with endpoint adjustments and im still using the same full size hitec servo for 2 weeks now. I would suggest swapping the radio out to one with the endpoint adjustments, its your best bet to saving the servo if your upgrading it. My dad still runs the stock, with saver and losi radio for 2 months now.
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegigabyte View Post
I had bought a hit ec mini metal gear servo, and in 2 days it burnt out, but thats with no servo saver on it. I put in the losi, no saver and it died the same day. So I upgraded to a full size, but also bought a new radio with endpoint adjustments and im still using the same full size hitec servo for 2 weeks now. I would suggest swapping the radio out to one with the endpoint adjustments, its your best bet to saving the servo if your upgrading it. My dad still runs the stock, with saver and losi radio for 2 months now.
Mike - I'm using a DX3R w/ EPA, so no problems there - just looking for a drop in fit servo, aside from the Losi option, as I want to use the Losi LiPo on my front axle, and I don't want to hunt down a bunch of odd parts to attach the servo to the carbon plate.

Right now, I'm good, but if I strip a servo, I'll have to dig up some threads and try to find a better option. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Bear View Post
Mike - I'm using a DX3R w/ EPA, so no problems there - just looking for a drop in fit servo, aside from the Losi option, as I want to use the Losi LiPo on my front axle, and I don't want to hunt down a bunch of odd parts to attach the servo to the carbon plate.

Right now, I'm good, but if I strip a servo, I'll have to dig up some threads and try to find a better option. Thanks!

Funny you say that, I use the losi lipo and full size servo on the carbon plate. I made my own steering linkage from solid aluminum from home depot, and used threaded pieces that can be bought online or from leftover lower bent links for the mrc. All you have to do is move the inner servo mount over a hair, redrill the holes in the plate and you can mount a full size servo, with a little filing on the mount hole if needed. Really didnt cost me anything except a few $ for the rod.

mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The Hitec 5245MG is still a mini but has more torque than the 225MG. The 225MG isn't much more torque than stock.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegigabyte View Post
Funny you say that, I use the losi lipo and full size servo on the carbon plate. I made my own steering linkage from solid aluminum from home depot, and used threaded pieces that can be bought online or from leftover lower bent links for the mrc. All you have to do is move the inner servo mount over a hair, redrill the holes in the plate and you can mount a full size servo, with a little filing on the mount hole if needed. Really didnt cost me anything except a few $ for the rod.
Thanks for the info! I will wait till my Losi's give up the ghost & then upgrade. Thanks again!

God bless - "Rare"
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #7

I went with a HiTec HS-225 mgand it is the same size as stock. It has worked with different tires and added beadlocks and weighted wheels and it has handled the last 2 trips out on the rocks well.
Bigjerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
I went with a HiTec HS-225 mgand it is the same size as stock. It has worked with different tires and added beadlocks and weighted wheels and it has handled the last 2 trips out on the rocks well.

Direct drop in w/ no mods?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #9

I had to change how it connected to the linkage using some piece (sorry dont know all the names) but the servo did screw into stock place.

Bigjerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Get this servo and dont look back forget about the Hi tech stuff http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3974 This servo has been simply great to me been running it for a year and half in a comp MRC and I have not been nice to it. The only thing is it has 1 plastic gear that they call a fuse to protect the elecs. in the servo get a package of these replacement gears from the same site they are $2.80 for 4 or 5 of them. Oh and I have only had to replace it once myself and I dont have epa's on my tx. Make sure you get HP-DS16FMD not FCD.
toyw/me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
I had to change how it connected to the linkage using some piece (sorry dont know all the names) but the servo did screw into stock place.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

If your wanting a "direct drop in" then choose a decent digital mini servo. Most are the same dimesions as stock. You've got the right radio for the job. From my past experience, I've burnt up a 5245 the very first time I used it. It's still a great servo if end points are used. Just if you stay w/ mini servo's, watch bind situations and keep it light. My .02
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
If your wanting a "direct drop in" then choose a decent digital mini servo. Most are the same dimesions as stock. You've got the right radio for the job. From my past experience, I've burnt up a 5245 the very first time I used it. It's still a great servo if end points are used. Just if you stay w/ mini servo's, watch bind situations and keep it light. My .02

Thanks!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #14

I also just bought a 5245 and it seems to have burnt out within 3 hours use think its time to upgrade to a full size servo
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

just go with the hitec 645. i used the stock mounts... i just had to get the mounting plate! which you can easily make. my mrc is sittin at about 10 to 15 pounds and the 645 isnt even phased by the weight! i think it would be better to buy the 645 and a plate than have to buy servos over and over because they burn out! thats just my 2 cents.
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

You guys must be really hard on your servos. I ran a HS-5245MG for months with no problems. A few weeks after i added flatirons the motor burned out though. A fullsize is cheaper and stronger.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I use a hitec 7955 on miine. It works like a champ. A little overkill but hey I had it sitting there so why not use it. A 645 or a 5645 would be plenty though.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTundra View Post
You guys must be really hard on your servos. I ran a HS-5245MG for months with no problems. A few weeks after i added flatirons the motor burned out though. A fullsize is cheaper and stronger.
even if i was being hard on it i would expect it to last longer than 3 hours though??
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #19
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
just go with the hitec 645. i used the stock mounts... i just had to get the mounting plate! which you can easily make. my mrc is sittin at about 10 to 15 pounds and the 645 isnt even phased by the weight! i think it would be better to buy the 645 and a plate than have to buy servos over and over because they burn out! thats just my 2 cents.
My comp ready Berg is only 6.2lbs.
I'm surprised that mrc will even move at that weight. How is it even possible to be that heavy:?
A super shouldn't even weigh that much! You seriously need to put that truck on a diet if it really weighs that much.

Last edited by Pdog7; 02-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
how! thats insaine! and i have a 645 in a 5.5 pound 2.2 rig and yes the weight pashes the 645. and 10-15 pounds in a MRC show us pics and what its got!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote