Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: GC3 Conversion Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default GC3 Conversion Questions

My wife got me a MRC for Xmas and it is the best gift ever! After a few weeks and plenty of RCCrawler reading I have decided to give it a make over. I have decided on a GC3 Chassis but have some questions on what else I may want (I know all I need is a MRC and GC3 but am interested what else would be beneficial).

So far I have on order...

GC3 Chassis
Losi Threaded Shocks (I was leaning towards Vendetta shocks but find them ugly)
HiTec 645 Servo
Flat Irons
Dark Souls OMF Beadlock Rims

1. I've seen people talk about "lockers". What are lockers for?
2. Are shock bushings needed?
3. Do the Losi 30 deg clearance links provide a benefit with this chassis?
4. I've seen some clearance questions/issues from other build threads. Is there anything I should prep for in advance?
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You'll definatly want the lockers, they are steel replacements for the plastic pieces that hold the axle shafts in the differential. With the taller tires you'll definatly need them. And you might as well install them while you have the MRC apart. Get two sets for the axles and the center locker for the trans.

As for the bent links the kit looks like it rides pretty low so I don't think you'd need them, and the kit comes with new links so just run them for a while and if you feel you would benifit from them add them on later.

As for the shocks I have the losi threaded and wish I would have bought some other shocks. Mine leak and one leaks bad on both ends. I only have two packs through them and am not too impressed. I used teflon tape on the cartrages and that helped some, next I'm going to use some on the caps to see if that will help. And you wont need bushings for them. The GC-3 uses the stock ball stud on the top of the shocks so you'll be good there.

My GC-3 is in the mail right now and I can't wait till it sows up. Have fun with yours.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

You talked me out of the Losi shocks and I canceled my order and went with Vendettas
Old 01-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

after I got my vendetta shocks together and tested them out on my gc3, they are the best shocks I've tried to date. I'm running the white (soft) springs up front and the stock yellow in the rear and they work great for me.
Im also running flatirons for now because I like the added clearance, but these tires are terrible on smoother or wet surfaces. I'm changing them out for some hb rovers.
The gc3 is the best mod out there. This little guy is a beast now
EKIM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Another question... Mounting the electronics looks like it's going to be a tight fit. From the builds I have seen I havent seen anyone mount the receiver or esc over the rear axle. Both are pretty light so I'm wondering why people avoid doing this?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam View Post
Another question... Mounting the electronics looks like it's going to be a tight fit. From the builds I have seen I havent seen anyone mount the receiver or esc over the rear axle. Both are pretty light so I'm wondering why people avoid doing this?
Some people like a front weight bias.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Alot of people run the battery there instead of on the chassis. I originally ran my battery on the chassis and then decided to deal with the weight. I like front weight bias but i do not like a top heavy rig. Full size servo up front will not hold my stock battery.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #8

I got my MRC with the free Lipo and plate on.

I used mounting tape and taped the Carbon Fibre plate on my aluminum one that came with the GC3, and put the servo and battery on that.

My question, I had the toruble of the upper links hitting my shocks, do the Vendetta shocks hit?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
I got my MRC with the free Lipo and plate on.

I used mounting tape and taped the Carbon Fibre plate on my aluminum one that came with the GC3, and put the servo and battery on that.

My question, I had the toruble of the upper links hitting my shocks, do the Vendetta shocks hit?
I mounted my CF lipo plate over my GC3 aluminum one also. However I just took the three screw out of the aluminum plate, put the CF one over the top then ran the screws through both. It will probably be more sturdy than the tape, plus it will sit down lower.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCnoob View Post
I mounted my CF lipo plate over my GC3 aluminum one also. However I just took the three screw out of the aluminum plate, put the CF one over the top then ran the screws through both. It will probably be more sturdy than the tape, plus it will sit down lower.
Could you post a close up pic of that set up?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #11

Quote:

I thought of that after I put the tape on :l

Now I can't get the darn thing off!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Could you post a close up pic of that set up?

Yes, I'll post some up later today.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Nice! I'm not sure I can use it with a full size servo but will try and see if it works.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #15

@ MRCNoob. Are those pen springs? I did the same thing you did, but after a few runs my pen springs are starting to soften :l
And is that a MRC lower link as your steering link?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
@ MRCNoob. Are those pen springs? I did the same thing you did, but after a few runs my pen springs are starting to soften :l
And is that a MRC lower link as your steering link?

They're not pen springs they are the TCS internal springs that I cut to the length I wanted. Regular springs on this chassis hit the 4 link bars, at least the way I have my shocks mounted.

Yes that is a MRC lower link and rod ends.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

How did u get the lower link to fit as ur. Steering link ????
herburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by herburner View Post
How did u get the lower link to fit as ur. Steering link ????

The rod ends just aren't threaded all the way down. But it is attached just like the stock link. It's actually kind of nice since my stock link gave me a little toe in, with this link I can adjust toe.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
They're not pen springs they are the TCS internal springs that I cut to the length I wanted. Regular springs on this chassis hit the 4 link bars, at least the way I have my shocks mounted.

Yes that is a MRC lower link and rod ends.
if you move your upper links to the inside of the chassis you can gain some more clearance
Toddwick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddwick420 View Post
if you move your upper links to the inside of the chassis you can gain some more clearance
I know. But I guess I feel that Gatekeeper put them on the outside for a reason. I don't know. Right now the cut internal springs are working well.