Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Jamescam's 1.9 Comp Crawler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Jamescam's 1.9 Comp Crawler Build

First let me say I am very new to the crawler scene. I picked up a MRC over the Christmas holiday and caught the bug almost immediately. Since then I have researched some local clubs and hop ups to improve my MRC and am very excited to dive into this new hobby.

Now onto the good part, I am very close to beginning my Comp 1.9 Build. Instead of listing all the parts I thought I would try something different and see if the eagle eyed readers could compile a list of the parts from the two shots below. In addition to calling out what you see I would love feedback on other options (I can still exchange most of the items) as well as anything I may be missing to put together a competitive 1.9 crawler. Thanks for playing - name those PARTZ!

jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You're going to love it when it's done.

I wish I could get all that stuff for mine.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well enjoy. you'll love the mini
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam View Post
First let me say I am very new to the crawler scene. I picked up a MRC over the Christmas holiday and caught the bug almost immediately. Since then I have researched some local clubs and hop ups to improve my MRC and am very excited to dive into this new hobby.

Now onto the good part, I am very close to beginning my Comp 1.9 Build. Instead of listing all the parts I thought I would try something different and see if the eagle eyed readers could compile a list of the parts from the two shots below. In addition to calling out what you see I would love feedback on other options (I can still exchange most of the items) as well as anything I may be missing to put together a competitive 1.9 crawler. Thanks for playing - name those PARTZ!

I see a GC3, Flat irons losi Aluminum stuff all over, Hitech prob 645, MIP drivlines, and a mongoose set up. Looks to be a killer build. Oh i think those are dark soul wheels.
The only thing i prob wouldnt go for and that just because of price is the novak mongoose. I got my eye on the HH mini motor and i still need to decide on the ESC but i have 2 in mind. I have seen great reviews on that mongoose setup though. Everything else looks like what i am headed for. I have a GC3, Yeah racing (RCbros) Shocks ran in droop, 645, and chisels. Flat irons are great if you use mr. Eds and soundcolors idea on chopping them up but they are tall for my liking. The new rovers are on my short list. BUT you are going to have one sick rig when you get done.

Cole

Last edited by JOMJ87; 01-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Oh i forgot 2 vendetta shocks and hop up springs and a DX radio.

Cole
Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

those flat irons work good up here in the wet northwest but you should look at what some of the other people do and cut every other lug out, or get some new tires like the rovers or chisels. I run chisels and they seem to work pretty good they don't have the ground clearance that the FI do but I like the way they work in the PNW, my next ones will be the rovers though once I get my fxr back from tekin, we'll have to go crawl somewhere.
dman1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Nice. I am in Redmond as well (at least during the day) and will finally have my GC3 done by the end of this weekend. We should compare notes sometime.

- Chris
Csnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for playing along... You nailed most of it:

- G3 Chassis
- Vendetta Shocks (with 2 pairs of White Springs)
- Aluminum Vendetta Shock Bushings
- HiTech 645 Servo
- Novak Mongoose ESC & Motor
- Dark Soul Wheels
- Losi Front, Rear, Center Lockers
- Losi 12 mm Wheel Hex Set (Exchanging these for HR Wide Wheel Hexes which will push out the wheels 4mm more)
- Losi Stainless Steel Axles
- Losi Aluminum Rear Hubs
- Losi Aluminum Front Carriers
- MIP Drive Kit
- Novak Pinions
- ProLine Warthog Body (Hanging on the wall )

I originally got the body & wheels when I was going for a scale build. Now that I have decided to get into the local competitive scene I will rethink the tires and definately go with a different body.

Last edited by jamescam; 01-23-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I also plan on dropping by the next Crawling event the WARCRC puts on for those in the Pacific Northwest Area. I hope they have a Novice class
Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

first off I'm jealous I'd LOVE to have half of that stuff! I would check and see what tires your local guys are running. the FI's are good but in my opinion the chisels, and cobras are a much better "comp" tire. I would also look into the the rover's they are getting some great reviews.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

If your building a 1.9 comp rig , I would recommend returning the flatirons for a set of 1.9 rovers.

Then look up Nova's ark for a set of his single stage 1.9 foam.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
first off I'm jealous I'd LOVE to have half of that stuff! I would check and see what tires your local guys are running. the FI's are good but in my opinion the chisels, and cobras are a much better "comp" tire. I would also look into the the rover's they are getting some great reviews.
Great feedback. I do plan on getting the Rovers. I will keep the Flat Irons & Warthog body as a scale costume around the office.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Question - Where should I start with Shock Oil? 50?

Editing in another question:

Any opinions on Bent Links? I was considering them but wasnt sure if the bent links effected handling at all. I like the look of the HR Black Bent Links.

Last edited by jamescam; 01-23-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:

Any opinions on Bent Links? I was considering them but wasnt sure if the bent links effected handling at all. I like the look of the HR Black Bent Links.
Shock oil really depends on how you would like your rig to react. low weight faster action and high weight obviously slower action. It's personal preference...I like fast and use 20 weight. As far as the bent links go I would not touch the brilliance of gatekeepers design. Use what he sent you and you will be very happy!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

wow that looks like so much fun. good luck.
jsj1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I have decided to stick with the G3 Links for now and change if necessary later on. I did order a few more things as I have learned a bit just from tearing down the MRC:

- Losi Front CV's
- A 2nd Losi Front/Rear Diff Locker (didnt realize I needed 2 of these)
- Lunsford Titanium Mini Grinders
- Zero Ackerman Knuckles
- HB Rovers

The sad thing is non of this will make me a better driver ;)
Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Might skip out on the losi CVDs for a bit until they fix them. People are breaking them left and right. Try the shaving of your stockers mod. everyone loves it after they do that. I completed mine but i cut one side a tad to far and it chipped and now slips but that was my unsteady hand and eyes fault.

Cole
Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

1) 30
2) Yes, bent lowers are nice. Go with the delrin set from RC Bros.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

your going to love it i see your from redmond if you ever have questions the guys at the redmond hobbytown are great lots of help
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMJ87 View Post
Might skip out on the losi CVDs for a bit until they fix them. People are breaking them left and right. Try the shaving of your stockers mod. everyone loves it after they do that. I completed mine but i cut one side a tad to far and it chipped and now slips but that was my unsteady hand and eyes fault.

Cole
My LHS just got in these so I picked up a pair

I like that they don't have pins to lose but not sure of the quality. I will let you know once I finish my build.