Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: has anyone.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Default has anyone.....

took the springs off there stock suspension so its like a droop setup?? i tried this it seemed to do good but idk what do u guys think i am geting new suspension soon..(any suggestions)thanks
mrc171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm using tcs internal springs with no oil and they seem to perform pretty well.
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

been done over and over and over...

The stock shocks handle droop decently, however, the real drawback comes from the three link suspension, and the fact that with droop you end up with massive, almost undrivable amounts of TT because of it.

The best thing to do if you are going to run droop is to go ahead and 4 link the rear at least, this will help fight TT, and get you ahead of the curve in the climbing department.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I get almost no Torque Twist with semi droop.

I run 100wt shock oil in all four shocks, a small spring about 5cm long (uk, im metric) uncompressed inside under the piston and this acts as a limiter aswell inside. its about twice the strength of an average ballpoint pens spring to give you an idea of strength.

Then I have a much shorter spring underneath the outside of the shock which is about 1.5cm long uncompressed but about twice as stiff as the internals on the rear and about 3cm long uncompressed but slightly softer than the internals on the front.

Works a treat, only time I get TT is when I have locked a wheel up in a hole or something.

Plus the whole body and chassis is very predictable and whilst the wheels react well to changes in terrain the chassis and body move a lot slower giving time to correct it before roll over occures.
http://cgi.ebay.com/200-pc-Spring-As...item2eaaa30363

Something like this is what I got and just spent some time playing with spring sizes.

** NO SALE PLUG INTENDED FOR FLEABay **
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

ive noticed alot of people use droop setting i was thinking bout doin it to and it is brilliant that there is finnaly someone from the UK who has crawlers im so happy
dudeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #6

Default .

it doesnt give me that bad of TT, i like the setup right now its just stock losi shocks and i took the springs out i was gunna put a little spring in there like one of u guys said but idk were to get them besides ebay.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

that link is for US ebay but looks almsot the same box as I got from Maplins here in the UK, great selection of springs for rc use.

Dudeka -- head to Maplins, spring selection box, better than a chocolate selection box for your MRC on Valentines Day

Then you can mess around with droop/semi droop till you get it how you like it.
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

sweet thanks maybe ill run up to ace hardware!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #9

I am toying with the idea of keep the shocks the same length and same spring rate, but lowering the chassis by raising the shocks up. Also, due to the new location of the shocks they are on a more vertical angle, which should help eliminate the excessive amount of flex (since the shocks will be almost 1:1 ratio). I'll probably still add some fuel tubing to the inside just to lower it a bit more, but I'll wait to do that until after I've wheeled it with the new shock mounts.
crazyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

im using the losi alluminum threaded shocks with springs and it does really good
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #11

can somebody explain the droop to me? i traded for a axial scorpion yesterday and the guy had the springs removed. he said it done better that way but did not explain it to me. i plan on doing rock climing with it and i think i need the ground clearence for going over rocks. i did notice the stock spring are stiff so i use some springs off a rc10 t4 and streched them out and they seem to do fine but i havent been out side with it yet. just wanted to know be fore me and my daughter go to our local track.
Hillbillyrcer is offline   Reply With Quote