Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: somethings not right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #1

Default somethings not right?

I'm running old accoms techniplus II radio gear with my mrc as i'm not a fan of the steering wheel controllers that comes with it. It has all been running fine for weeks, however 2 days ago I upgraded to a Hitec 5245MG servo which burnt out within 3 hours use and then when I switched back to the stock servo the mrc kept lurching suddenly, then just stopped. now all I get when I turn the crawler on is a red flashing light on the esc and a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the motor and nothing works??? could it be something to do with the radio gear :?

Cheers Scott

Last edited by scottiej; 02-09-2010 at 06:08 AM.
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

A BEC is often needed to prevent excess current draw through the ESC. This can burn out an ESC, as the upgraded servo will want more power than the ESC can provide. The servo may have been fried by using that older radio without end points (I'm assuming, as I know little about that radio). I'm ignorant when it comes to mixing and matching components, but I'm guessing the old 27mhz radio, digital servo, and stock ESC is a bad combination.
Essentially, I'm guessing that the problem started by overworking the ESC with the new servo. The servo died first, obviously, but since the ESC was on its last leg, it couldn't handle providing power to the rig's stock servo and motor...
If you know anyone with stock electronics, or the local hobby shop is a friendly place - try swapping out a working ESC to see what happens. If it works, I'd say get used to the Losi Tx or get another that you find comfortable.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling that it could be something to do with the old radio system so I have gone out and bought some decent rechargables for the stock tx (as mentioned in another thread you replied to ) I will be swapping back to it when i get home. I have emailed the place that i got the servo from to see if they will replace it so hopefully that will get sorted as there isn't any decent hobby stores near me :-(

I thought as I was staying with a micro servo I probably wouldn't need a BEC but if it's still recomended I will get one, or i'll just upgrade to a fullsize servo and get a BEC if they wont replace it .

Only thing to left to work out is if the esc is FUBAR? if it is I will just wait until the end of the month to get paid and upgrade to a Tekin fx-r. Will that be ok with the stock motor for a bit or should I just buy an upgraded motor at the same time?

It sucks really as i've just spent £200 on upgrades this month and was enjoying how much more capable it was until it broke

Scott
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
20K Club

An FXR will control the stock motor just fine. The motor will control the amount of current that is pulled, the ESC just needs to be able to provide it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #5

cheers I'm not too clued up these things 1:1 suzukis are more my thing

well I had a closer look last night and it appears the stock servo is still fine but the esc doesn't want to work at all, I hooked up the stock reciever and that's getting power from the esc but it also seems like the servo just wants to move by itself once the power is on :? think the esc is deffo FUBAR as all i get is random flashing lights depending what is connected up to it and it wont reset or actually do anything :?