Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Need some advice about links and more

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need some advice about links and more

I bought a MRC about a week ago. Well, I blew the stock servo last night so now I'm ready to put my futaba 9351 servo in that I already have. I already have the losi carbon fiber servo/lipo mount so I was thinking about just using that for the full size servo. I will need new servo mounting post like the rpm mount right.

Also, I will need to make some new steering links for the servo.

Can I use these ball ends with 4-40 all thread?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...th-Pivot-Balls

I want to make my own link then use tubing like I see others do. What is the best method to bend the linkage with nice smooth bends? Should I measure, cut threaded red, slide tubing over, then bend to my needs. Sorry, I'm a crawling and link making noob. haha.

Also, if I want to make a 4 link setup with the rcbros mounts, what size rod-ends,thread, and bolts should I use? I noticed they are larger than the lowers.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by RacerScott; 02-12-2010 at 08:52 AM.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

I just bought bent lower links and used the stock links for the 4 link uppers. I bought a package of the losi MRC link ball ends (LOSB141 and screws and lock nuts to fit through the TVP.
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I just bought bent lower links and used the stock links for the 4 link uppers. I bought a package of the losi MRC link ball ends (LOSB141 and screws and lock nuts to fit through the TVP.
But the holes for the upper links are bigger in the TVP, so if you used the same ball ends and balls wouldnt the screws be sloppy in the holes?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
dnf

I bought a 3m tap,then went to the local hardware and found an
alum tubing that has enough meat I can tap but dont have to drill.
makes it easy, works great for me.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #5

I used size 2-56 screws and the balls are aluminum so I used a drill bit to slightly ream the hole and then threaded it using the screw. I put the ball on the inside of the TVP and started the screw from the outside... so it worked as like a nut and bolt with the TVP in the middle. For added measure I used locking nuts just in case but I know they won't ever budge. It is fastened very solid. I will post a picture later tonight.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I used size 2-56 screws and the balls are aluminum so I used a drill bit to slightly ream the hole and then threaded it using the screw. I put the ball on the inside of the TVP and started the screw from the outside... so it worked as like a nut and bolt with the TVP in the middle. For added measure I used locking nuts just in case but I know they won't ever budge. It is fastened very solid. I will post a picture later tonight.
Thanks, did you use the rcbros mount?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #7

No I didn't use the RCbros 4 link mount. I made my own using an old cutting board (which is most likely delrin or a close cousin) based on this thread. Scroll down to the second set of pics... some call it the sandwich method.

However it took a while to get a good tight fit and I haven't found the motivation to finish the front because of that. Plus I like the RCbros 4 link mount cause you can try different set-ups (symmetrical, asymmetrical, etc) to find your personal favorite. I think I will move the one I made to the front and get the RCbros for the rear and run asymmetrical to help with TT.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #8

Here are a few pictures that might help you see what I did.