Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Slider Motor VS Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi Slider Motor VS Stock

I know the Losi slider motor supposedly has more speed than the stock MRC motor but does it have more or less low end torque than the stock motor for climbing? I have a scale truck that's heavy and I am looking for a more powerful motor for climbing.
Paul97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul97 View Post
I know the Losi slider motor supposedly has more speed than the stock MRC motor but does it have more or less low end torque than the stock motor for climbing? I have a scale truck that's heavy and I am looking for a more powerful motor for climbing.
i have an mrc based scaler. im running the mini slider motor with a 10 tooth pinion. that lowers the wheel speed a little and gives you good torque! my little beast is almost 15 pounds and it still hauls a$$! i only get 20 min or so of run time with the mini slider on the stoc battery... thats the only down side...go for it! no mods needed, just get yourself a mini slider motor and get a 10 tooth pinion!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

my buddy is running the slider motor in his mrc and he goes through lockers like no other even the metal ones, the slider with a 2s lipo is faster then my 2s brushless and 3s brushed lots of wheelspeed but likes to bindup and break parts under heavy torque loads
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am running a stock battery in mine with no plans to run a lipo battery. My truck is about 6 1/2 lbs. I have metal lockers all around. I am running stock axles front and rear. I did grind my steering knuckles for more steering.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
i have an mrc based scaler. im running the mini slider motor with a 10 tooth pinion. that lowers the wheel speed a little and gives you good torque! my little beast is almost 15 pounds and it still hauls a$$! i only get 20 min or so of run time with the mini slider on the stoc battery... thats the only down side...go for it! no mods needed, just get yourself a mini slider motor and get a 10 tooth pinion!
Again with the 15 pounds...

I call total BS...

Pics or your a liar
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

15lbs...? Interesting.

Gearing down the pinion will help convert some of that wheel speed to torque.

FWIW, I love my Stump Puller (with a smaller pinion). She puts out lots of torque and wheel speed - the stock motor doesn't hold a candle...

Last edited by JeepinOR; 02-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

What is the "stump puller motor"? I was looking at the Holmes Hobbies motors and I thought about buying one of those.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

my bad. i guess my hand scale is off! lol i thought it was heavier than it is. i just found the scale and its sittin at 6 pounds. i am also running two batteries, one for my winch and one for my motor.
and i upgraded the lockers the first week to the steel lockers, got the slider motor a week later, lockers havent gone out yet. and that was 6 months ago!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
Again with the 15 pounds...

I call total BS...

Pics or your a liar
who cares really.... the baja 5b weighs 40 lbs.... who cant say a losi scaler doesnt weigh 15? the axials weigh about 10 ish
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Not saying its impossible, but consider...

You'd have to make the chassis out of lead, links out of lead, wheels out of lead, then get a depleted uranium body, find shocks that could handle the weight, then the foams wouldn't support the weight, so you'd have flat tires.
Then, you'd have to get some serious power behind it. And I know from experience a slider ain't gonna have the powere to drive it.
Then your gonna kill your batteries making everything work so hard, so better step up to some serious nimh cells, (lipo won't work, were adding weight remember).

Then, the driveshafts won't handle that much power, so upgrade em, doubt seriously anyone makes titanium driveshafts yet....

Then there's the whole servo problem. As much as I love the 645, it can't handle that much...

Yeah, sure... it could be done, but then again... noone is that dumb
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I got a slider motor and a 10t pinion gear and tried to install it last night. The pinion mesh won't get tight enough because the motor can hits the tranny. Did you guys dremmel the tranny case to make it work? I put the stock motor and 14t pinion back in for my scale comp today. I am going to see if the hobby shop has an 11 or 12 tooth pinion in stock.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul97 View Post
I got a slider motor and a 10t pinion gear and tried to install it last night. The pinion mesh won't get tight enough because the motor can hits the tranny. Did you guys dremmel the tranny case to make it work? I put the stock motor and 14t pinion back in for my scale comp today. I am going to see if the hobby shop has an 11 or 12 tooth pinion in stock.
i drilled the mounting holes a little bit! and it fit right in! i didnt have to shave the tranny. you did get the (mini) slider right? also with the mini slider i took a file and filed down one side of the out put shaft on the motor. this helped get the pinion on and it gives the little screw something to hold on to!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #13

what pinion are you guys using on your slider motors? i know its a 10 tooth but can i get a link?
beaver720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver720 View Post
what pinion are you guys using on your slider motors? i know its a 10 tooth but can i get a link?
here you go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOSI-LOSB1260-PI...item439b9b90c0