Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Questions about the GC3 chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Questions about the GC3 chassis

Let me start by saying I'm wanting one of these bad. Everyone is saying that this is the chassis to have. I'm still new to crawlers and especially minis.

My concern is that from all the reading i'm doing about them on here alot of people that have used this chassis are having problems with the build. Mostly sounds like the links and shocks don't mount up right and have binding issues. I'm not the best at customizing and coming up with fixes and it just bothers me that this awesome chassis doesn't work right out of the box like I would think it should.

So even though I still want one this is a concern. Anyone else feel this way? I know that a big part of this hobby is customizing and tweaking but I think a brand new product should atleast mount up. I have the SWX chassis on my Axial and It was easy to put together and everything works great.

Also please please don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing this chassis at all. I know it's gotta be great being it's the chassis that won the championship and all. And I am going to buy one, lucky for people like me all the experts on here share the tips and tricks for us that aren't as skilled.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
Let me start by saying I'm wanting one of these bad. Everyone is saying that this is the chassis to have. I'm still new to crawlers and especially minis.

My concern is that from all the reading i'm doing about them on here alot of people that have used this chassis are having problems with the build. Mostly sounds like the links and shocks don't mount up right and have binding issues. I'm not the best at customizing and coming up with fixes and it just bothers me that this awesome chassis doesn't work right out of the box like I would think it should.

So even though I still want one this is a concern. Anyone else feel this way? I know that a big part of this hobby is customizing and tweaking but I think a brand new product should atleast mount up. I have the SWX chassis on my Axial and It was easy to put together and everything works great.

Also please please don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing this chassis at all. I know it's gotta be great being it's the chassis that won the championship and all. And I am going to buy one, lucky for people like me all the experts on here share the tips and tricks for us that aren't as skilled.

I bought and installed this chassis when the MRC and rock crawling was still very new to me, but I hated the torque twist. The only issues that I had with it were it came with 4 wrong screws (cone not button head) and the rod ends on the lower links were contacting on the skid. Both however are easy fixes. The screw issue is supposed to be fixed in the new run and filing away the sharp edge on the skip plate to fix the contact issue is very easy.

It is a great chassis. It works well and I believe it is the cheapest complete conversion out there.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default patience

You cant go wrong the gc-3. Ive heard they addressed the binding issue in the second run of the chassis. Me i got the first run of the chassis. Took about 15 minutes with a piece of sandpaper, 5 washers, one 2mm spacer and the binding was gone.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i bought one about a week or so ago and was ready to throw it out
tried taking the edge off the skid plate which helped slightly but the whole thing was bound up,none of the links wanted to move

after a bunch of driving around to find parts and pieces i finally got my problems fixed,
i located al the proper bolts that needed to be replaced from the ones supplied with the chassis.

after that i replaced all the ball connectors for the rod ends with traxxas flanged ones everywhere,for whatever reason every single one that was supplied with my kit had a lot of drag on it and didnt want to move.
i used all the rod ends that came in the kit and just replaced all the ball connectors

i replaced the lower link to chassis rod ends to flanged also, then i ran 1 40 mm bolt through both links with a spacer inbetween the 2 links

all my binding issues have been solved and now im loving this thing
it has an awesome cog and the 4 link works very well

the shocks still hit the upper links but i might make my own uppers or fool around with how the shocks are mounted

edit: i also just noticed that my wheels hit the shocks when turned with some flex, i dont know if i should just use some wheel wideners but thats another thing you might have to mess with, it hit with both my stock losi wheels and darksoul's both with chisels mounted to them...

Last edited by black92coupe; 02-20-2010 at 10:45 PM.
black92coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

There are issues with any chassis. I Had some minor issues building mine but nothing too bad. You mention you are not much of a fabricator so the small issues you run across on this is the perfect place to start learning. I would bet it is very hard to design a chassis that works well with everyones shocks, steering, wheels, and still fit into the comp rules. It will always take a bit of tweaking to get going, have fun with it
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklewagon View Post
There are issues with any chassis. I Had some minor issues building mine but nothing too bad. You mention you are not much of a fabricator so the small issues you run across on this is the perfect place to start learning. I would bet it is very hard to design a chassis that works well with everyones shocks, steering, wheels, and still fit into the comp rules. It will always take a bit of tweaking to get going, have fun with it

all good points and i'm definatley getting one. can't wait for them to be back in stock.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #7

On the new run is it still true that the stock shocks won't work? I remember seeing a post somewhere that the stock shock won't work with the GC3...
SgtVeXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVeXX View Post
On the new run is it still true that the stock shocks won't work? I remember seeing a post somewhere that the stock shock won't work with the GC3...
I dont know, but there is a thread about gatekeepers personal GC3, he and the guy from Duratrax seem to monitor it pretty well, bring it up or use the search function.
As to this thread, if you get one and need any pics of the fitting stuff I did, PM me and I'll photo any thing you may have issues with... when you get one.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by black92coupe View Post

edit: i also just noticed that my wheels hit the shocks when turned with some flex, i dont know if i should just use some wheel wideners but thats another thing you might have to mess with, it hit with both my stock losi wheels and darksoul's both with chisels mounted to them...
The tires rubbing the shocks will not have any negitive effect.My 2.2 and 1.9 GC2 did this as well.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post

All of the issues with the initial runs have been fixed on the kits coming into stock.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

sounds good. thanks for the re-assuring and like I mentioned I will be buying one as soon as someone gets them available I can't wait to see the improvement this chassis will make on the mini.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Anyone know when the GC3 is going to be in stock?
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Should be any day now.
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Cool, ill keep a eye on tower.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote