Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder micro help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sidewinder micro help please.

Yes I searched and read.

I just finished installing the sidewinder micro esc into my mini. I programed it using the castle link. It is hooked up per the diagram for a brushed motor. I installed dean's plugs for the battery and motor connections. Red and black only to motor since I'm running a MTM. I am also using a BEC wired to send power only to the servo. I am using the factory Tx/Rx. The combo with the stock esc was working fine before I installed the sidewinder. I did install the most recent firmware on the esc.

The problem is when I give it forward/reverse throttle the servo twitches back and forth, sometimes going through it's full range. I did modify the throttle profile.

I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Just got off the phone with CC tech support. He was at a loss also. He's sending me a new one with a pre-paid envelope to send the faulty one back. Great service from CC.

I would still appreciate any insight in case I am missing something.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

so the steering servo is moving when you apply throttle? that is really strange, did you try un hooking the bec and seeing what happened when the servo ran off the rx power instead?
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl_Before_Walking View Post
so the steering servo is moving when you apply throttle? that is really strange, did you try un hooking the bec and seeing what happened when the servo ran off the rx power instead?

I did this and it works I don't get it. I guess I'll try wiring the BEC according to CC's diagram and see if that works. If I do that does the BEC plug into the auxiliary port???
Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I believe so, the aux port is for power input from what I have read.

I have mine wired so that the bec draws power direct from the battery and passes it direct to the power wires of my servo, the signal wire from my servo goes to my rx.
This bypasses any extra power needing to go through the rx but it also means then when I first plug in the battery the servo twitches to one side or the other, but when I turn my radio on and the esc is turned on the signal from the tx centres the servo and it responds as normal, its like an initial charge into the servo makes it turn one way or the other but I get no continuous twitching and as soon as the rx/tx are both on its fine and doesnt come back.

Do you have yours wired like this pic or different at the moment?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I believe so, the aux port is for power input from what I have read.

I have mine wired so that the bec draws power direct from the battery and passes it direct to the power wires of my servo, the signal wire from my servo goes to my rx.
This bypasses any extra power needing to go through the rx but it also means then when I first plug in the battery the servo twitches to one side or the other, but when I turn my radio on and the esc is turned on the signal from the tx centres the servo and it responds as normal, its like an initial charge into the servo makes it turn one way or the other but I get no continuous twitching and as soon as the rx/tx are both on its fine and doesnt come back.

Do you have yours wired like this pic or different at the moment?

That is how I have mine wired now. It worked great like that with my stock esc. So you have it wired like that, and your running the sidewinder and it works fine right? I don't get it.

Did you turn off the on board bec on the esc??? If I did that though then the receiver would not have power.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Just curious...brushed or not(I might have missed that)? Double check programing make sure set to correct motor...kinda sounds like that might be the prob...Good luck
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, works fine and im using th TMm 33t motor,
my esc is set up like below, I used demo mode but these are my settings.

Obviously if you are using lipo then you would set the cut off value accordingly but Im using NiMh for now.

What BEC is it?

PS. I use no curve to the throttle and updated to latest castle link software and esc software Beta version for the sidewinder micro esc.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Obviously if you are using lipo then you would set the cut off value accordingly but Im using NiMh for now.

What BEC is it?

PS. I use no curve to the throttle and updated to latest castle link software and esc software Beta version for the sidewinder micro esc.

I am using a Lipo. I did adjust the throttle curve. I'm using the CC BEC. I just installed Castle Link today so I'm pretty sure that's up to date and I installed the latest firmware for the micro.

I'm really at a loss here. Our setups are nearly identical.

I have talked to CC both on the phone and through email. The gentleman on the phone said they would send me a new one at no cost. The gentleman in the email said there is no way the esc can affect the steering, which it shouldn't, but it's the only new variable in the equation. So hopefully they are still sending me a new one.

Thank you for your help so far, I appreciate.

I would also greatly appreciate any new ideas.

cato, it is a brushed motor and in brushed mode.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i have my bec wired just like the diagram says to do it and i have the bec pluged into the aux port on the reciver. works great!!!
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If it were me I would use the power from the BEC for everything and pull the red wire from the receiver plug on the esc. I have had the same problems as you are talking about in the past. The micro sidewinder has a really low bec. No reason to use it at all. Let the external take care of things for you.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
If it were me I would use the power from the BEC for everything and pull the red wire from the receiver plug on the esc. I have had the same problems as you are talking about in the past. The micro sidewinder has a really low bec. No reason to use it at all. Let the external take care of things for you.

I tried this and is seems to be working. I need to get it all back together and drive it to be 100% sure, but I'm very glad it's working. Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by MRCnoob; 02-27-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Sidewinder micro help please.

Quote:

What BEC is it?

Thanks for this mate,it got my CC ESC working.
HAPPY DAYS.
philg is offline   Reply With Quote