Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC DIG, if I can make it and it works.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MRC DIG, if I can make it and it works.

Just a rough idea at the moment - no to scale drawings or measurements been done yet but been looking at how to make a dig for the mrc that would be lite, simple, small and able to be mounten onto normal and flipped gearboxes alike. Open source so wouldnt be making them to sell, the idea is to design and make one that is easy enough for anyone to fabricate at home with a few spare parts and basic tools and a drill.

This is what I have so far.

First pic is general lyout without the servo drawn on as not figured out a mounting for a micro servo yet. Design is for use with a servo like the one in the Micro-T.

the other 3 pics are with 4wd enagged - freewheel and then locked rear end. Will post up better to scale drawings as I get a chance to do them next week along with all the measurements so if anyone else wants to try building it or help in making it work they can.
Attached Images

Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #2

Im looking forward to see how this turns out. I think it would be a great addition to the mrc, of course not comp legal but awesome non the less
jaxon900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thats £5 for me James . But seriously, hope this works would be great on the MRC.
biggusditchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Forgot to add. Biggus is also responsible for the design, joint effort dude.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm guessing you just drill a hole in the center of the rear tranny output and install a hex pin. Or you some how mounting a inner dog bone shaft to the tranny output.
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
20K Club

I always thought having dig on the MRC would be fun for a little basher. Had a couple of friends/vendors build their own actually. You want to see a Losi MRC ring and pinion explode, just add dig

There have been a couple designs that have been built similar to what you are looking at. They were both scrapped from production schedules though. Good luck though, thats the fun part about crawling
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So basically what you are saying is the trucks internals are just not going to stand up to it always good to hear from someone with experience.. is there any point in carrying this through or are there parts available to beef up the weak points?, this thing has cost me enough already and I need more
biggusditchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusditchus View Post
So basically what you are saying is the trucks internals are just not going to stand up to it , this thing has cost me enough already and I need more
They just couldn't keep a ring and pinion in the front end. The rest of the internals don't even hold up to normal driving

My mini has been more of a money pit than my 2.2 in the last couple months
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The idea is to make a small adapter that bolts onto the existing output and changes it to a flat spade output which can lock into a cup easily.

Or grind the stock output to a flat spade end.

As for the internals....If its the stress on the front ring gear thats the problem then its going to be tough to do much about unless someone has seen stronger units for sale elsewhere. The mesh was too loose on mine as stock so shimmed the pinion to mesh tighter on both mine but they have quit shallow teeth.

Is it the teeth that shred on the ring gear or is it the intenal web of metal on the ring gear that fails?

With the rear end in freewheel the stress on the front wouldnt be a big increase but with the rear end locked up it would put a huge increase in stress.
Hmmmm, must ponder this problem.

Thanks Harley for the heads up on the weakness.

"to every problem there is a solution, if there is no solution then there is no problem to begin with or your f***ed" - Me, a long time ago in a country far far away.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl_Before_Walking View Post
Is it the teeth that shred on the ring gear or is it the intenal web of metal on the ring gear that fails?
That I don't know :?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Guess I'll just have to make one and find out
Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Everytime I've busted a R&P's it's been the front. The pinion gear is what usually goes. Mine right now is acting strange. The pinion gear screw is backing out. I've tightened it now twice, w/ lock-tite. I've got spare parts. Might just swap it out. I need to check the pinion depth and backlash shims. It's just so hard w/ these little gears. Not like 1.1's
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote