Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder Micro Porblem Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sidewinder Micro Porblem Info

OK guys i just wanted to post this up for any body else who might have sidewinder micro issues. It took me 4 weeks to get this thing right and it was something simple that i lucked accross.

So i got a Holmes MTM, Sidewinder Micro and BEC 4 weeks ago. I wired it all up per the instructions and used my castle link to update and program the ESC. I then installed the ESC and ran through the intitial calibration with my STOCK radio gear. Well it seemed ok but when i went full throttle and turned it woudl shut down.

About a week of trying different settings i decided to use the BEC diagram MRCnoob posted awhile back. This helped it seemed but didnt come close to fixing it.

I then decided maybe i suck at soldering and redid all the joints on the wires and went back to the factory wiring setup. This again seemed to help but now if it bound up on a rock it would keep driving until i picked it up to unload the motor. Also if going full reverse then switching to forward it lost all power.

Well this past weekend i went out crawling with a goup of guys locally. While out there i was talking about not getting my MRC right. After a brief discussion one of the guys said he had problems with a Castle sidewinder not liking his 2.4 ghz radio gear. Now i had bound the Trans and reciever 10 different times because i was thinking that was the culprit and it hadnt helped. After messing arounf with the scalers most of the day we discussed it further and he was nice enough to let me try out his Traxxas TQ3 AM radio gear. I thru it on and to my surprise it didnt act nothing like it had been. Even better we ended up trading radio gear so now i am up and running without wanting to crush my MRC.

Just to make sure you all understand I did all the updates used custom and factory settings rewired and rewired and even ran 3 different batteries, also had re bound and re calibrated 5-10 times. After all of that it was the radio gear. Another thing is i had used that same radio gear on my scaler while building it and waiting on my second transmitter to come in so it worked great. Hope this can help guys in the future.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Good to know!

I was having problems with mine also. I had to change my BEC wiring to the CC way and it fixed it.

Also on initial setup I had to set it up with my throttle switch reversed on the radio. With it normal the setup lights were reversed.

Problem not porblem. Ha ha.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've run that ESC for about 6 months on a KO Propo 2.4ghz radio without issue.. Maybe pulse width of the signal from the TX was too long (or too short) for the ESC to work with...
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had trouble with my sidewinder esc in my MLST, not being able to programme it via my Castlelink. I got in contact with Castle support and they told me to reverse the steering on the tx - all good, well, still not got reverse but it's a start. Lucky my MRC has taken over all my spare time !
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I must say that after updating the software and setting up the esc its been a great little controller - I use stock tx/rx from Losi and have no issue but if I do see any of the symptoms mentioned I have a TQ3 setting in the shed from my T-Maxx so will keep it handy.

Good info. Thanks JOMJ87
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

i'm sure this is an easy fix but here's my question... I'm using the brushless combo 4200kv - with a traxxas 2.4 4ch radio, in my MRC I geared it down to a 10t pinion. It runs fine when it's not under pressure but when you get it up on a rock and try to crawl nice and slow it will jitter a little at the first touch of the throttle give it a little more throttle and it picks back up to normal... I don't think this is an ESC issue but perhaps not a strong enough brushless motor. Any sugestions... oh and do you have to run a BEC with the sidewinder? because I am not at the moment but was thinking that might be part of my problem. PleasePM me if you have any sugestions.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
i'm sure this is an easy fix but here's my question... I'm using the brushless combo 4200kv - with a traxxas 2.4 4ch radio, in my MRC I geared it down to a 10t pinion. It runs fine when it's not under pressure but when you get it up on a rock and try to crawl nice and slow it will jitter a little at the first touch of the throttle give it a little more throttle and it picks back up to normal... I don't think this is an ESC issue but perhaps not a strong enough brushless motor. Any sugestions... oh and do you have to run a BEC with the sidewinder? because I am not at the moment but was thinking that might be part of my problem. PleasePM me if you have any sugestions.
that brief occurrence of jitter is called cogging and its due to the brushless motor being sensorless(sensored motors don't cog). I am not shure of the exact science of it (maby someone else can chime in) but that is a side effect of sensorless motors
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote