Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: upgrade servo or motor/esc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default upgrade servo or motor/esc?

Hello everybody. I have had my Losi MRC for about a week now. Already hopping it up. Took it out a few times and its decently capable right out of the box. I upgraded to Lipo batts, bent links, alum skid, beadloc w/ Hb rovers. Its getting better everytime I upgrade it. Losi threaded alum shocks are on their way too along w/ RCBRos Skulz V2 chassis.

The motor I notice kinda struggles taking on bigger rocks and steaper climbs. It gets there but I know I could do better. Also the wheels struggle too when in some dicey spots like in tight rock crevices. It would be nice to really be able to eat up each climb.

I'm a newb and really just bashing. Maybe I should just save my dough and get better at climbing and then upgrade? Thanks for the help!
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
Hello everybody. I have had my Losi MRC for about a week now. Already hopping it up. Took it out a few times and its decently capable right out of the box. I upgraded to Lipo batts, bent links, alum skid, beadloc w/ Hb rovers. Its getting better everytime I upgrade it. Losi threaded alum shocks are on their way too along w/ RCBRos Skulz V2 chassis.

The motor I notice kinda struggles taking on bigger rocks and steaper climbs. It gets there but I know I could do better. Also the wheels struggle too when in some dicey spots like in tight rock crevices. It would be nice to really be able to eat up each climb.

I'm a newb and really just bashing. Maybe I should just save my dough and get better at climbing and then upgrade? Thanks for the help!
servo- hitech 645. you will need a new mounting plate.
motor. mini slider with 10 tooth pinion! it will cut down your run time but you will love the wheel speed!
those are the two biggest cheap upgrades you can do without having to get new elecs. there are other options too. but these are cheap and need no modding. besides the servo plate
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

The first thing I upgraded was the servo (i went with a mini servo with more power) Second was the motor (torque master) and that was a HUGE difference in power. Lastly was the esc (castle creations) overkill maybe, but the tune ability is great.

When you upgrade the motor, you will have to keep an eye on the differential's, drive shafts.

About the servo, save the money get a full size one, you can get a plate in the vendors section or you can make your own, most people go with the ht 645.

Just remember, when you make something bigger/stronger, the next weakest thing will brake.

NooB84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Metal lochers and center locker first, they can ruin your day easily. Modify front dog bones and stub shafts next, a ton more steering and directions on how to do it here Modding stock MRC for increased steering throw especially with an new servo, which should be 3rd on your list.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

ive got a 7.4 volt losi lipo and a venom fireball 370 motor and love the wheel speed.
01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

HT-645MG or HT-225MG, venom Fireball 370p motor, 12t pinion...cheap and effective
ixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #7

Im looking to upgrade my stuff to, and Im looking at the 12 tooth titanium gear, the venom motor and 645 servo, now, what r my benefits going to be? Im looking to get more power for crawling up rocks, and im tired of my wheel snot turning when they are flexed out all the way against a rock. Will this setup do the trick? I've been through 2 stock motors now and dont wanna keep burning them up lol. And at the price I can get all the parts for if it better than stock stuff its a no brainer! Thanks fo rth ehelp, sorry about the thred jack!
513Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #8

Default electronics

you can pick up a novak mini mongoose crawler esc and brushless 18.5 turn motor combo for around $100. your able to run nimh, 2s, 3s lipo and it has many programing options. 2s is all you need and it's a good option to get in one box.
909cwler is offline   Reply With Quote