Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: RX and ESC placement thoughts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RX and ESC placement thoughts.

I am starting to hop up my kiddo's mini and I am pretty deep into it. Went lipo. Went with a long trey on the front axle. Cut the electronics and battery trey off the top and placed a lexan trey on the rear triangled uppers. I need help with a few things.

1. How have you all mounted the esc in the front? I tried to mount it on the upper links but it would hit my shock mounts. I would immagine a full size servo would really screw this up.

2. I put some droop springs in the shocks to run it half droop half sprung and drop ride height. This is going to limit my articulation. Is that ok? Had to do that with my AX 10 so i am assuming its ok.

3. How much articulation do you want? I used the coke can with my 2.2 so how abouts tghe 1.9.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Stick that stuff wherever you can, man!

Keep trying with various locations for those electronics. It's just a matter of trying different combinations and angles until things puzzle-piece themselves together. With my transmission facing forward (don't remember if that's stock or not. lol). Considering my rig, to give you more ideas, I have been able to shoehorn a Tekin FXR and CC BEC behind the transmission, and have my stock Rx on top: here is an older pic during installation. You mentioned that the ESC hits the shock mounts - maybe you can put the ESC on its side so it travels between the mounts as the rig articulates? Can you make a static, non movable shelf, attach it to the shock mounts or where ever, and mount the ESC underneath and still have clearance for the upper links?

Some folks like to build their electronics on a removable tray or two. The trays can make moving things a little easier and can help keep things a little neater. If your son's rig is using a body you're already a step ahead when it comes to keeping wiring neat - or at least hiding a mess! It's going to be tricky with that larger, stock ESC.

It's not as messy as it looks with panels on, as the battery wiring shows the most when all put together.

Limiting articulation can be a good thing if needed. 50 degrees give or take is a good start, or a 1.9 tire's height.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 04-18-2010 at 09:38 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i have my esc shrink wrapped (conserve space) and on the rear mount and the rx is just stuck to the side of my chassis. finding this works really well. If you have cut off or removed the top plate that holds the batt,rx and they esc u sould be fine with the esc mounted on the links. But if you havent it will stop your articulation because the top plate will hit the esc. Shocks are always the hardest to find. Just tweek them and find what works. Im running a quarter inch of fuel tube in the back on dropp and on the front i have the stock springs but cut in half. This setup works great for starter.
speedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #4

by having a droop setup on the shocks will it limit or help you?
firefighten_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i have my reciver mounted on the front upper link and my esc mounted on the rear upper link with the battery on the rear servo plate. I also am using the dna mini slingshot chassis and used my stock chassis plates for new servo trays. i am running a fullsize servo and nothing hits my links or my shocks. just to give you an idea i also am using the rc18t shocks so it lowers my cg. and limits my articulation.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote