Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: clicking sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Default clicking sound

hey i just got a used mrc and after a couple of runs it started to make clicking sounds coming from the diffs so im guessing that they are stripped, will geting metel lockers make it so my diffs wont get stripped, and also what is a good place to get parts for the mrc??

thanks.
rc demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

That clicking aint your lockers. Definately get metal lockers if it doesn't already have them, though.

The clicking sound is your ring and pinion not meshing correctly. My rear is doing the same thing right now. Supposedly there is a shim kit you can buy for them. My front end used to click too, but after I shimmed it, it stopped.
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #3

i am almost sure that the clicking is the diff becouse it only clicks when it is under stres and it just clicks insted of moving if its working really hard. and do you know what a good place to order parts from is??
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you get this figured out LMK, I have metal lockers throughout my mini rockshow and it still clicks, pops, ect... under a bind.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

It is most likely the diffs. Get the metal ones from RCBros.

As far as other noises go, take it all apart, inspect, clean and lube it, then put it back together and see what happens.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #6

ok thanks i will order some metal lockers.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

This has been covered a few times a while ago, I'm just too lazy to pull them up. So whatcha want to do is pull your housings all apart. Look at your stripped ring and pinion, throw them in the trash. Buy a new ring and pinion set and housing. When ya put the new ones together ya can add a lil lube; I've done it both ways now and have found the lube doesn't matter too much. So when ya go to screw your housings together, through bolt the screws all the way through and put nuts on the backside of all four screws.

Whats happening is the axle housing in loosing up on you allowing the ring and pinon to barely become miss-aligned. I went through a few ring and pinon sets before getting this all right. Once I started fresh with new parts and longer screws the clicking sound has gone away and not returned.

Another thing to watch out for is those little broken phillips heads from your lockers floating around in the housing.

Good luck!
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

mine was doing the samething,broken pinion shaft,wouldnt come out,
but would pop underload,and pop back in place when it was settled.

REPLACE,UPGRADE
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drvnbeing View Post
This has been covered a few times a while ago, I'm just too lazy to pull them up. So whatcha want to do is pull your housings all apart. Look at your stripped ring and pinion, throw them in the trash. Buy a new ring and pinion set and housing. When ya put the new ones together ya can add a lil lube; I've done it both ways now and have found the lube doesn't matter too much. So when ya go to screw your housings together, through bolt the screws all the way through and put nuts on the backside of all four screws.

Whats happening is the axle housing in loosing up on you allowing the ring and pinon to barely become miss-aligned. I went through a few ring and pinon sets before getting this all right. Once I started fresh with new parts and longer screws the clicking sound has gone away and not returned.

Another thing to watch out for is those little broken phillips heads from your lockers floating around in the housing.

Good luck!
i opend up the diff last night and found that the scerews were loose just like you said and i also found out that it dose have metal lockers in the front and rear diffs i will look at the center diff tonight.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc demons View Post
i opend up the diff last night and found that the scerews were loose just like you said and i also found out that it dose have metal lockers in the front and rear diffs i will look at the center diff tonight.
remember that the carriers are already metal......make sure the actual locker is metal as well and not the cheesy plastic pieces( part the actual shaft goes into in the carrier)
bquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I am in the process of this right now, and waiting for parts. It is the pinion that goes from the driveshaft to the ring. If you take a small screwdriver and remove the pinion you will see that the teeth are worn way down. Be careful when you do this because there is a tiny shim, washer in the driveshaft side that is super easy to lose. I have been babying it to get through my last comp and completely killed it today on purpose. I will post pics later.

Last edited by Jslick; 07-25-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I am in the process of this right now, and waiting for parts. It is the pinion that goes from the driveshaft to the ring. If you take a small screwdriver and remove the pinion you will see that the teeth are worn way down. Be careful when you do this because there is a tiny shim, washer in the driveshaft side that is super easy to lose. I have been babying it to get through my last comp and completely kidded it today on purpose. I will post pics later.

YEP YEP YEP!!

My rear pinion gear did just that. I pulled it out, and the gear was chewed to crap. I bought a whole new ring and pinion gear set for the rear, and no more clicky!
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Ok so you pull the axle apart and look at the pinion attached to the driveshaft, everything looks ok right? Wrong!

Here is the front and rear pinion. Glad I am replacing both and the ring gear. The one on the right was in the rear.

Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hahaha. I was just logging on to ask the same question and this is the first thread on the page :P.

Taken from The Beginners Guide to the MRC:

"Q. I am getting this wierd "clicking/popping" sound from my rear axle.
A. You need to replace your ring and pinion and the axle housing.. If that doesnt work shim the left bearing on the ring gear out with a thin washer."

Anyone know what size washer to use?

Btw, the part number for the ring and pinion is LOSB0941

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 07-21-2010 at 10:25 PM.
nosfanatic2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #15
RCC Addict

same thing happened to me and posted the forum.. what i ended up doing was shimming like crazy and eventually worked! i used the Traxxas Washers for the slash i forget which part number..

when i checked, my ring gear was alot worse than yours.. mine was almost gone lol!!

BTW where can i get the replacement? i cant find it anywhere :(
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
same thing happened to me and posted the forum.. what i ended up doing was shimming like crazy and eventually worked! i used the Traxxas Washers for the slash i forget which part number..

when i checked, my ring gear was alot worse than yours.. mine was almost gone lol!!

BTW where can i get the replacement? i cant find it anywhere :(
Part number LOSB0941
nosfanatic2006 is offline   Reply With Quote