Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: I could use a few opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I could use a few opinions

Well, I have been away from the rc toys for a while but I am now finding a few minuets to get back into it. I was building a nice 1.9 comp crawler with a GC3. It has been laying on the work bench for all most a year now. Last night I started to re build my whole crawler with the GC3 and new electronics. I have a few different Ideas for a power train and I just can't make up my mind what I want to do. SO, I thought you guys could help steer me in the right direction. To start with, The power train is all stock. I was really wanting to run a Holmes hobbies motor and call it a day. But it is HIGHLY recommended to up grade the esc. I was looking at the tekin B1-R.That with the HH motor is pushing 150$ So that takes us to option 2. That is to run a brushless Mongoose from Novak. Again around 150$. Then the next choice, one that I all ready have a Castle Creations brushless Sidewinder.That set us is currently running in my Mini LST2.(Witch hardly ever gets used sense I got my MRC.) It is a 5,400Kv and would be ok for crawling but it would require BIG gearing to take out the cogging. I might give it a try and see how that runs. Have any of you guys ran one of those combos? what do think would be the way to go?
Airbornejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
TN State Champ 11,12,13

I use the Tekin FX-R with Holmes Mini Torque Master on a 3s lipo and love it.

I have heard several stories of the Mongoose "Melting down" so I would stay away from that combo.

I haven't used the other combo so I'll let someone else comment on that system.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Use your Sidewinder and run a brushed motor of your choice.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the re-plys so far. One other choice is to toss in a frenzy 370 For the mini lst2 But I don't think that would add a hole lot.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The Frenzy is quite a bit more peppy than the stocker and it's cheap.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
Use your Sidewinder and run a brushed motor of your choice.
I like the Idea of a brushed motor, Then I might want to make it water proof, But that will be for a different day.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I had the mongoose for a few months until the drag brake quit working. Bought the losi brushless system and it works great. Seems to have a bit more torque. Hopefully it will outlast the mongoose!
korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a micro sidewinder esc and a Reedy Stump puller, the drag break is great after I figured out it was set for a brushless motor from the factory. I just got the HH Torque Master Mini which will be put in soon. For a less expensive alternative use the losi slider motor $17 with a 10t pinion. Worked well for me.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I have a micro sidewinder esc and a Reedy Stump puller, the drag break is great after I figured out it was set for a brushless motor from the factory. I just got the HH Torque Master Mini which will be put in soon. For a less expensive alternative use the losi slider motor $17 with a 10t pinion. Worked well for me.
Once you get that Torque master in let me know how you like it. I am kind of leaning toward that combo.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am running the associated stump puller and the fxr. I liked the FXR so much I bought it for my AX10. You can tune it without a laptop and it is tiny so it fits anywhere. The stump puller has some great wheel speed and still has good smooth bottom power.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

any one else have any thought on a set up. I am not thinking Of maby going to an tekin Fx-r.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
dnf

if your building up a gc3,you may aswell get some good elec. for it.
you said 150 was too much for esc/motor combo.

I would suggest for a esc-c.c. mini mamba,or tekin B1R
for motor I would suggest-homes 22 or 33t, trinity mini monster in 22 or 33t
or an assotiated stump puller[its 19T] or an assotiated mini mod 19t

and I would also suggest you may want to buy the esc used to save some coin,but buy the motor new.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the advice, I am allways looking to go the cheapest, (But not junk) route. 150$ is not to bad. Is their a big difference between the tekin B1-R and the FX-R I am leaning towards one of them. I messed with my Side winder on a brushed motor(the frenzy 370). It will calibrate to the brushless motor, But not the brushed motor and yes I did set it up for a brushed motor. O-well..I may want to keep the brushless sidewindwer in my LST2 n-e-ways.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
dnf

nothing wrong with a fxr in a mini,and it can be used in a wider range of rc's down the road. but the B1R is plenty for a mini it also smaller,lighter.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Most of the guys I know are either running the Novak Mongoose or the Tekin FXR with Torque Master. Never heard of the Novak going bad, but I can't say that it isn't possible. That sucks because some of us just upgraded to the Novak.
DNAMRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well I went ahead and made a choice. I decided on running a.....HH Torque Master Mini 33t , with a tekin B1-R, and a CC BEC tuned at 6. I can't wait until it comes.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Also, I have been taking a lot of pictures of the whole process. I guess I will have to make a build thread to show it off.
Thank you to the guys that gave me your advice! It is that kind of support that makes this sight AWESOME!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Fxr ftw
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

i know you have already purchased but just for everyones info i bought my mongoose motor and esc (which i love and have had no problems with) off of amazon for only 99 bucks!! much cheaper than any where else i had found it. as for shipping i also ordered 4 tires and wheels and shipping was only 15 for all of it. amazon doesnt have a huge selection of parts for the MRC but what i have found has been cheaper than about anywhere else
slowtocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

i have a gc3 with the novak mongoose, i absolutely love it, it never gets hot
also its the only sensored brushless motor esc combo i could get here which is a must with crawlers
you dont want them to be cogging at low speed like most brusless systems do

i would go with the novak and not look back
black92coupe is offline   Reply With Quote