Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: LiPo size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LiPo size

Hi guys,

I have just ordered a MRC

Few questions though please.

As i'm already setup for charging and using LiPo's with my other RC cars i'm going to order some LiPo's.
I've been using Turnigy LiPo's for a few years now without problems i'm going to use the new Nano turnigy's from hobbyking.

First question 2S or 3S?

I'm also little confused as to which size to order, what do you advise please?

370mah (63x32x9mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11894

460mah (65x29x11mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11896

850mah (60x31x16mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11898

1000mah (77x35x12mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11900

I also have a few spares from my other RC cars and am wondering if i can them on the MRC.
I have a spare Castle Creations Monster Max Pro will this physically fit or do i need to source a new Esc with a LiPo cut off?

Also have a few Align DS610 servo's (12.0kg/cm and 0.08sec/60°).
Again will this physically fit?

Still trying to read my way through the forum so sorry if these questions have been asked before

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Ohhh another quick question as well please.

I realise tyres are difficult to recommend as peoples driving styles and the surfaces the car drives on differ, but can anyone give a good starting point for tyres that work well on Marble/granite surfaces.

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
First question 2S or 3S? This really depends on the motor and ESC that you plan to use.

370mah (63x32x9mm) Again, dependent on the motor, but the 370 should be plenty.

I have a spare Castle Creations Monster Max Pro will this physically fit or do i need to source a new Esc with a LiPo cut off? This has a cutoff, but is probably too big for this truck. I run a Mamba Micro Pro on my MRC.

Also have a few Align DS610 servo's (12.0kg/cm and 0.08sec/60°).
Again will this physically fit? This depends on the front servo mount you use. Full size servo mounts are available.
Quote:
but can anyone give a good starting point for tyres that work well on Marble/granite surfaces. The 1.9 Rovers should work well on that type of rock.
My answers are in red.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the quick response Jeremy, much appreciated

What sort of run time will i get out of the 370mah please?
Is there any disadvantage with running larger batteries other than space?

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response Jeremy, much appreciated

What sort of run time will i get out of the 370mah please?
Is there any disadvantage with running larger batteries other than space?

Cheers
Mark
all of what jeremy said, i agree...

to your next question..

depends what our geared at, How hard you run your kit and what you crawl.. such as incline, or more of a flat area? less rocky, more rocky?

larger battery=more weight, depending where you place your lipo, it could mean top heavy= better crawler for flat land, not as much incline vs not as much= better crawler for inclines

im guessing a 370 will get about 10-20min.. depends how hard you drive though..
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hummm....again, that really depends on the motor you are running....but it should be anywhere from 20-40 minutes.

The main disadvantage is the weight of the pack. With as small as these trucks are, any added weight can really hurt the performance....
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have a spare Castle Creations Monster Max Pro will this physically fit or do i need to source a new Esc with a LiPo cut off?
k

as for a lipo cut-off, IMO you really dont need one, unless you really dont pay attention to your kit..

when i was running the stock ESC and a 2S lipo, i could really feel when the lipo was at around 3.6-3.7V.. The Motor just didnt have enough power to go up small inclines.. but its very easy too tell!

if your worried that much, just get a Cheap LVP off ebay. or you could upgrade to a better ESC.. i would recomend going with the better ESC though.. since my Stock ESC burned out in 2 weeks.. i was MADD lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Hummm....again, that really depends on the motor you are running....but it should be anywhere from 20-40 minutes.

The main disadvantage is the weight of the pack. With as small as these trucks are, any added weight can really hurt the performance....

LOL seriously 20-40min??? thats too high IMO since my 2s lipo 1000mah runs at around 45min with cells ending at 3.67V per cell

also i believe hes running the stock motor since Mark just got the MRC

Last edited by MRCCRAWLER1.9; 10-06-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

IMO, if your just crawling around for fun, the 370mah should be good enough..

if your comping, go with the 1000mah..

but since it sounds like your just starting out with your first crawler, 370mah may be enough to fit your needs

with the 370mah, i would get like 3-5 of them.. that way you can continuously run if you wanted to...

right now in my MRC, im running a 1000mah, 2s lipo, and have 3 of them.. which get me through a good day of crawing and alittle bit of comping
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wow this forum is really active, i'm used to writing a post and waiting 2 days for a response

Thanks guys.

I'd trade a little performance for longer run times, ideally i'll just take a few batteries with me, but i guess it depends on how the run time/performance takes a hit.
For that price i've ordered 1 of each, i can use the others in other RC stuff so no loss.

I've also ordered:
LOSB1433 x 2
LOSB1435 x 1

As i'm lead to believe the stock plastic ones are made by Cadburys in chocolate
From what i've read so far that should be a good start right?

If the car gets as much use as i believe it will then i'll have no problem upgrading the Esc if need be.

I'll keep on reading through the forum, but if you think i've missed anything or need to know something then any help or advice much appreciated

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
LOL seriously 20-40min??? thats too high IMO since my 2s lipo 1000mah runs at around 45min with cells ending at 3.67V per cell
Well, most lipos require a cutoff set to 3.0V/cell. Maybe since you are cutting yours off early you aren't seeing as much runtime as I am...

Quote:
if your comping, go with the 1000mah..
A 1000mAh pack is WAY too big for a serious comp car. Most comp courses only allow 4-5 minutes to complete the course....so you only need that amount of time out of a comp pack.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well, most lipos require a cutoff set to 3.0V/cell. Maybe since you are cutting yours off early you aren't seeing as much runtime as I am...

A 1000mAh pack is WAY too big for a serious comp car. Most comp courses only allow 4-5 minutes to complete the course....so you only need that amount of time out of a comp pack.
Really? 3.0v? wow.. i run mine till 3.6- 3.7 just for the heck of it

oh really? i run 1000mah in a friendly local comp , also i usually have GTG's with some locals and we usualy stay at the spots for like 3-4hours, so 1000mah is good for me!

question... i thought you should never discharge a lipo lower than 3.2V??? and i thought 3.0v is considered a bad lipo, or just dont even think about charging it????
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I set my the LVC on my ESCs (for all RCs....scalers, 2.2, 1.9, micro and super) at 3.0V/cell.....never had a problem. I've even charged a dead lipo (~1.0V/cell) and ran it for quite some time before upgrading.

I currently run a 2S 325mAh 45C lipo in my comp car.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I set my the LVC on my ESCs (for all RCs....scalers, 2.2, 1.9, micro and super) at 3.0V/cell.....never had a problem. I've even charged a dead lipo (~1.0V/cell) and ran it for quite some time before upgrading.

I currently run a 2S 325mAh 45C lipo in my comp car.
wow to me 3.0V just seems wayy too low.. idk why, but for some reason it does!

mehh, i may try LVP at around 3.3-3.5 then..
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Here is what Maxamps recommeds to it's customers:
http://maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wow this forum is really active, i'm used to posting a thread and waiting 2 days for a response

I ended up ordering 1 of each of those LiPo's, i figure i'll see what the performance/run time compromise is like, find the best then order a couple more.

I'll not run without a cut-off.
Although the batteries are very cheap i simply won't risk my car, the RC car or my house for the sake of a £60 Esc with LVC.

Sounds like it's going to be very tight, but fingers crossed i will be able to mount the MMP somewhere at least till i decide on another BL sensored Esc and motor.

Also ordered:
LOSB1433 x 2
LOSB1435 x 1
As it seems the stock plastic ones are a bit weak.

Am i likely to need anything else?

Jeremy,
I have been running LiPo's for several years now, both in planes and RC cars.
Biggest problem you'll get running as low as 3v/cell is the 2 cells will drop dramatically out of balance.
To the point where the charger will error out.

From my experience i've found 3.2v/cell is pretty much the lowest you can go without dramatically reducing the life and performance of the pack.

Personally i have my LVC's set at 3.7v/cell that way when i return home i don't have to mess about topping up my packs to their storage charge

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Wow this forum is really active, i'm used to posting a thread and waiting 2 days for a response

I ended up ordering 1 of each of those LiPo's, i figure i'll see what the performance/run time compromise is like, find the best then order a couple more.

I'll not run without a cut-off.
Although the batteries are very cheap i simply won't risk my car, the RC car or my house for the sake of a £60 Esc with LVC.

Sounds like it's going to be very tight, but fingers crossed i will be able to mount the MMP somewhere at least till i decide on another BL sensored Esc and motor.

Also ordered:
LOSB1433 x 2
LOSB1435 x 1
As it seems the stock plastic ones are a bit weak.

Am i likely to need anything else?

Jeremy,
I have been running LiPo's for several years now, both in planes and RC cars.
Biggest problem you'll get running as low as 3v/cell is the 2 cells will drop dramatically out of balance.

From my experience i've found 3.2v/cell is pretty much the lowest you can go without dramatically reducing the life and performance of the pack.

Personally i have my LVC's set at 3.7v/cell that way when i return home i don't have to mess about topping up my packs to their storage charge

Cheers
Mark
Wow 2days? Thats crazy.. Maybe there are just more people in this forum.. Or the mr is just crazy popular

Seriously, you don't need a LVP unless you blindfold your self while driving.. It's kinda like a nimh pack when it gets to around 3.6-3.7 voltages.. When The lipo gets to around 3.6-3.7 its kinda like how a nimh is where it's almost struggling to make the crawler move.. Just try it once.. My first time I hooked up a multi-meter and just hooked it up while running.. Continuously stopes to see the voltage on it.. And at the 3.7 its a huge difference..

Good luck mounting your MMP

You may want the aluminum threaded shocks.. You don't have to but really made a difference on how the crawler was able to crawl.. They were much smoother and oil didn't leak in a day like the stocks..
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose that depends on the charger. I've never had an issue with mine running down to 3.0V/cell. I do balance mine almost every time I charge them...

I agree with you on the LVC....I wont run without one.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When The lipo gets to around 3.6-3.7 its kinda like how a nimh is where it's almost struggling to make the crawler move..
I have been running lipo packs for quite some time and have never experienced what you are talking about. My packs run perfectly until I hit the LVC....no noticeable drop in power before that time.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have been running lipo packs for quite some time and have never experienced what you are talking about. My packs run perfectly until I hit the LVC....no noticeable drop in power before that time.
i agree with you, ive never experienced a lack of performance before LVC
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote