Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Winks Mini Beetle Juice build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Winks Mini Beetle Juice build

My Mini Beetle Juice build.

Stock MRC parts are from a truck I had sitting around for my son to drive.

The side plates, cab, skid, 4 link plates f/r, chassis braces, and hardware.

Side plates bolted to the skid with lower links(Delrin f/straight & r/bent) installed along with the transmission.

4 link plates mount using the existing hardware and the upper links are the stock lowers. I used Traxxas part bag #1942 for the upper link rod ends along with the chassis side lowers. The shocks mount with the stock ball mounts held on with 3mm nuts. Shocks are Losi MRC threaded shock set.

The quality of the chassis is top notch and it is coming together easily.

More to come. I will have more detailed pics of link placement along with shock placement after some test and tune.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice! Your gonna love it.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Time for some body panels. I just traced out the lower side plate and cut them out of Parma .030 Lexan Sheet,9 x 9-1/4 found at your favorite RC store. Same with the top panel. This stuff holds up real well and is just under $4.

Link placement so far. Chassis side front is on the lowest hole. Chassis side rear is on the second hole up. Shocks chassis side are both in the second hole from the outside, axle side the shocks are on the outside of the mount. This allows plenty of flex but still manages stability for side hilling. This has worked really well so far.

I finished the build on this truck last Saturday and took it down to a PARC comp on Sunday. I took first place out of 15 mini drivers with a score of -61. This truck not only looks cool but performs and is very predictable.

On with some more pics. Sorry I dont have any action shots right now.

Last edited by winkscrawler; 10-13-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well, I have had this thing at 2 comps now and it is working like no other mini i have driven. It is so stable and predictable. It looks awesome and the extra clearance of not having a body even for a mini is incredible. My Beetle Juice Arsenal is looking good.

I was going to run the Mongoose system in it but went back to the FXR and the Holmes Hobbies motor for now. I did switch out the Hitec 645 for a 5645 that I had sitting around and ran a BEC to it at 6.0 volts. I was lacking in some steering power, not anymore.

Action pics to come soon.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks fantastic

This bodyless look is really starting to grow on me.

Was a very close call for me between the BWD mini wedge and the mini juice, went for the BWD as with the motor mount and lower links in the kit it seemed good vfm, i've also not read 1 bad report.
After seeing that though i kinda wish i'd gone for the mini juice bodyless now
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

this just blew my mind. how good does it crawl?
ryandeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandeputy View Post
this just blew my mind. how good does it crawl?
This truck sidehills, climbs, and transitions with ease. It is super predictable. I couldnt be happier. Go bodiless with the Beetle Juiice and you wont go back.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Very cool looking truck!! Good job!

I'm getting another chassis from a friend (insane deal w/bonus goodies), and if that one doesn't do it for me, I'll probably get one of these.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkscrawler View Post
This truck sidehills, climbs, and transitions with ease. It is super predictable. I couldnt be happier. Go bodiless with the Beetle Juiice and you wont go back.

Are you running any fuel tube or spacers in the shocks? Nice clean rig!
skywker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
JVS

very clean rig, I love how it looks.

regarding the novak system vs. the tekin/HH combo, how would you say they compare? Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but do you run on 3s?
JVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default NICE!, any problems with shocks popping off

I am building a mini juice at the moment,
However I am having problems with the rear shocks popping off their top mounts (Losi alloy thread, on standard balls) when at full articulation.
Any mini juice drivers have similar problems?

cheers
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS View Post
very clean rig, I love how it looks.

regarding the novak system vs. the tekin/HH combo, how would you say they compare? Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but do you run on 3s?
I am currently running the FXR with a Crawler Mafia 19T motor with a 12T pinion on a 2S. This config has incredible power with great speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
I am building a mini juice at the moment,
However I am having problems with the rear shocks popping off their top mounts (Losi alloy thread, on standard balls) when at full articulation.
Any mini juice drivers have similar problems?

cheers
First off you need to limit the travel of your rear shocks by putting about 3/8 of an inch of fuel tubing under the piston. The other thing you need to do is space out the top shock mount with a couple of small washers to help keep the shocks from popping off.
You also need to limit the front shocks in the same manner.
Hope that helps.
Ryan
Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
evo

one of the nicest i've seen yet! looks killer
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Sometimes, I make things.

Really nice lil'juice you have there. I am looking forward to working on my MRC tonight, the stinkin local PO better deliver my packages today, I know they had them yesterday and didn't deliver them, the scoundrels. In stock trim the MRC is pretty sad IMO, I am hoping to make it at least a decent little crawler. I have a Mixer chassis coming, if I ever swap it out I think I will go w/ the mini'juice as they really look cool, the main thing I like is the upswept skidplate, that's a nice feature. I have the same wheels and tires, those alone made a big difference in how it crawled, it will actually get traction now. Seems like evreywhere I crawl has sand or dusty fine dirt which doesn't help, I have never come across sand in NY until I started crawling.....

I am hoping to get a video up to enter the crawler mafia motor giveaway, if I don't win one I will end up buying one for sure, I hear they are little monsters of motors. But, the stock motor has actually impressed me with its power, I thought it would be a turd but it is actually pretty strong.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

That thing is bad lookin!
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #16

Very good looking MRC... Nice job!
audiodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkscrawler View Post
Time for some body panels. I just traced out the lower side plate and cut them out of Parma .030 Lexan Sheet,9 x 9-1/4 found at your favorite RC store. Same with the top panel. This stuff holds up real well and is just under $4.

Link placement so far. Chassis side front is on the lowest hole. Chassis side rear is on the second hole up. Shocks chassis side are both in the second hole from the outside, axle side the shocks are on the outside of the mount. This allows plenty of flex but still manages stability for side hilling. This has worked really well so far.

I finished the build on this truck last Saturday and took it down to a PARC comp on Sunday. I took first place out of 15 mini drivers with a score of -61. This truck not only looks cool but performs and is very predictable.

On with some more pics. Sorry I dont have any action shots right now.

Are you experiencing torque twist? I have links and shocks in same locations, i have same losi shocks with blue springs, but have a lot of torque twist. what oil weight do you suggest? any other help on this would be appreciated!
GREAT LOOKING MINIJUICE BY THE WAY
hpicrawlerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpicrawlerking View Post
Are you experiencing torque twist? I have links and shocks in same locations, i have same losi shocks with blue springs, but have a lot of torque twist. what oil weight do you suggest? any other help on this would be appreciated!
GREAT LOOKING MINIJUICE BY THE WAY

You need to internally limit the shocks with 3/8 of an inch of fuel tubing underneath the piston in the front and back shocks. That should help with your torque twist issues and make your truck very stable but also allow a good amount of articulation.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

thanks for tips! can you suggest a oil weight and if it should be same on all four shocks? thanks again!
hpicrawlerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpicrawlerking View Post
thanks for tips! can you suggest a oil weight and if it should be same on all four shocks? thanks again!
I run 30 wt all the way around with good results. Performance can very depending on the temperature though.

I will update this thread soon with more pics and my setup now.