Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: CC Sidewinder connection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default EC3 vs Deans

I've just managed to source a brand new sidewinder for my Mini Wedge and need to decide on connectors for the motor and battery. I'm using Deans on my other trucks but wonder if anyone is using or has thoughts on using EC3 connectors instead. I like Deans but they are a bit of a pain to solder and disconnect.

What are you using and why?

Cheers, Neil

Last edited by neiloid1; 10-22-2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Crap thread title
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I use the micro deans for my battery and BEC connections...but I use banana plugs for the motor leads.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloid1 View Post
I've just managed to source a brand new sidewinder for my Mini Wedge and need to decide on connectors for the motor and battery. I'm using Deans on my other trucks but wonder if anyone is using or has thoughts on using EC3 connectors instead. I like Deans but they are a bit of a pain to solder and disconnect.

What are you using and why?

Cheers, Neil
i personally use TRX connectors for the ESC to battery.. its been the connectors ive been using ever since i started this hobby, and i personally think that they are as good as the Deans connectors..

for the Motor, i use bullet connectors..

if i were you, id just solder on Deans.. even though their a pain to solder on, its much better than switching all your ESC's to another connector, and having to buy banana connectors for your charger...

as for the EC3, not many people use them. i personally dont like them, they just look alittle weird IMO and im pretty sure you could get the polarity switched pretty easy, compared to Deans or TRX.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm useing polorized micro deans for the battery and usually hard wire in the motor to the ESC, Saves money and space. I do wish Deans made a mini plug. The micro seems a little small and regular deans are too big IMO.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant_Xj View Post
The micro seems a little small...
They work perfectly fine on the MRC. I run them on mine. Heck, I even use them for a few connections on my 2.2 rig running 4S.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
cherry bomb

If you are already deans. Why would you even question what conector to use. Deans would save you alot of headach. I use deans on all my esc's and motor's so swapping any of my motors in is no problem. Or even swapping a whole esc. The Chinese deans plugs are just as good IMO and work just fine with real deans plugs. A dollar a piece sure beats $5 for a deans at the LHS
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies guys.

My CC Sidewinder arrived yesterday with it's lovely little gold bullets for the motor so I'll be rewiring my stock motor and Losi Insane motors with thicker wire and CC bullets.

As for the battery connectors I'm moving to Lipo which gives me the opportunity to look at other connectors for my crawler whilst keeping my NiMhs for the trucks.

Probably will stick with Deans but the ribbed ones for easier splitting and that they are that much cheaper, unless others can convince me otherwise....
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Another deans user here.

Re-soldered all my new batteries with deans connectors yesterday, as Fred said all my other batteries, Esc's and charge leads are already deans so it was no contest really.

I tried the ribbed deans but found they were a nightmare to solder, the plastic seemed to have a noticeably lower melting point than the other deans copies knocking around.

I have experimented with going around the plug with me soldering iron marking up the plastic.
To be honest though in my case i didn't find it helped much so i no longer bother.

I tend to find i need to pull the wires instead
But my situation is a little different than most others.

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My soldering jobs always end up looking like gobs of chewed bubble gum! I did both TRX and Deans plugs and found the Deans to be easier even on thicker wires. TRX plugs are a b!tch to solder though no matter what. Micro Deans? Sheesh I melted about four plugs before I finally got lucky and did one up OK
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
I tried the ribbed deans but found they were a nightmare to solder, the plastic seemed to have a noticeably lower melting point than the other deans copies knocking around.
When I solder deans, I connect two together (one male, one female), then solder. The opposing connector helps keep the contact points from moving around if you are having to heat up the point for longer periods of time.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
When I solder deans, I connect two together (one male, one female), then solder. The opposing connector helps keep the contact points from moving around if you are having to heat up the point for longer periods of time.
Aye me to.

If i'm not doing battery connections i'll also hold the non soldering end in a small hobby vice as well which acts as a heat sink.

Still the plastic case melted on the ribbed type.

To be honest i've soldered hundreds if not thousands of deans connectors over the years and it's only the ribbed type i've experienced any problems with, they just seemed to be made out of softer plastic that melted at a lot lower temp

Weird.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote