Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: forward but no reverse. wtf!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #1

Angry forward but no reverse. wtf!!

so today i bought some nice new 1.9 flatirons, new transmition gears and aluminum shocks. went to take it for a test drive and i had no reverse. anyone got an idea of whats goin on?? forward works fine!!
flatironlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

How weird!

Not sure what to suggest, obvious stuff like, check the transmitter knobs and settings.
You can reset the parameters on the stock ESC (assuming you are stock?) with the button ontop. I can't remember the process (somethign like press hold button till green and red light, (neatural), then press once, pull trigger (throttle) press once push trigger (brake) then should light both green red and done. erm . . google it or check Losi website for instructions!)

maybe someone else has better idea.??
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

here we go:

Resetting the ESC
The ESC comes from the factory preset and ready for use. If for some reason you should need to reset the ESC, use the
following instructions.
1. Turn on the transmitter and ESC. Press the setup button—both the RED and GREEN LEDs will come on.
2. Pull the throttle trigger all the way back (full speed) and press the setup button once—only the GREEN LED will come on.
3. Push the throttle trigger full forward (brake/reverse) and push the setup button once—only the RED LED will come on.
4. Let the throttle trigger return to the neutral (center) position and press the setup button once more to save the program
and exit setup mode—only the GREEN LED will be on.
Notes:
A: If the receiver does not receive a signal from the Transmitter, the ESC will not enter the Program mode.
B: While in Program mode, the motor will not run.
C: If the setup button is not pressed for 20 seconds while in the Program mode, the ESC will exit the Program mode and
the data will be saved.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #4

well i tried resetting the esc. it didnt work. replaced the battieries in the controler, and still nothing.. any more ideas??
Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
dnf

Ok,with power off,will the truck roll backwards??

If not,we need to figure out why.
so....start illiminating what it could be
1.disconnect the driveshafts
2.the spin front and rear axles by hand both directions
3.turn trans both ways by hand
4.turn motor both ways by hand

see if anything gives you trouble,if not I'd say its deffinatly electrical
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

alright well i tried everything you said and it everything felt good rotating the forward and reverse so it has to be eletrical. but my question is is if it is eletrical, why isnt it effecting anything else?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
dnf

ok,the lower knob on the front of your radio is your throttle trim
turn it full right,try it,then full left and try. It could be your trim setting.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #8

just tried it. still nothing. took the controler apart last night hoping a wire came loose of broke from the board but everything was good. i think im just gonna get a new controler and reciever when every i get a chance and hope that solves my problem
Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
dnf

Unfortunatly I doubt its your tx/rx its most likely your esc IMO
Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #10

yah thats what im thinkin. but its brand new! i just got not 3 months ago and i only drove it around on sunny days but oh well. its just a stock one anyways so im gonna get a 4 channel one next pay day
Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatironlosi View Post
yah thats what im thinkin. but its brand new! i just got not 3 months ago and i only drove it around on sunny days but oh well. its just a stock one anyways so im gonna get a 4 channel one next pay day

So why 4 ch?

The radio and rx is probably good.

you could try removing the pinion and see if the motor will revers with no pressure on it.

You could also revers your throttle (top of radio next to ant)
then see if you have reversand no forward,if so i would deffinatly say its the esc.
I know trouble shooting os a pain,and I always get real frustrated.I usually ask for help too
Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I would second that it is probably not the TX and RX, they are pretty reliable and pretty decent for use with the MRC (Spectrum electrics inside - the receiver is actually a Spektrum SR300).

I reckon Rockhard's advise is the first to try - flick the reversing switch ontop of the controller to see if you get reverse, but no forward etc.

If you decide to buy an new RX/TX set, I would recommend the Spektrum DX3E (comes with RX and a servo). Its well priced and pretty good for the money.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #13

i tried everything. still no reverse. its really pissing me off!!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Man, thats a confusing situation you have.

If it were me, I would strip out the electronics and motor. lay them on a table where you can check everything.

Unplug everything, then just plug in the battery to the ESC and the motor to the ESC. Also plug the ESC into the receiver.
Then make sure the lpugs are correct way, pushed in properly etc.

Power on adn once ready, try the throttle/brake. Can't see any reason why the motor will run one way and not the other.
Swap the motor wires round (i.e. black to red red to black) and see which way the motor will run then. Try a different motor if it only runs one direction. (or hook up a multimeter and check voltages on the motor wires (no motor connected)).

If your electronics work ok (motor spins both ways), it must be mechanical - check the gears for broken teeth, check the mesh of the pinion to spur gear (not too close/tight?) stuck gears, bearings not seated - anything thats out of the ordinary. may mean a full rebuild of trans etc but worth it to fix.

I would recommend taking it down to a local hobby shop, where they can test each compenent out to see whats the problem.

very strange!

Last edited by Gfresh; 01-01-2011 at 02:23 AM.