Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mini Crawler Build Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mini Crawler Build Question

Used MRCs run about $130-$200. I don't want an insane build, but better than stock. I definitely want a new chassis. Wouldn't it be cheaper or the same cost, for me to piece one together? From what I am reading, I really only want the stock axles and diffs, which is like $75 from what I can tell and they would be new. Even if it ends up the same cost, I would have a better rig.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
I really only want the stock axles and diffs, which is like $75 from what I can tell and they would be new. Even if it ends up the same cost, I would have a better rig.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
You need the trans. And some chassis need to use the stock lower links as uppers.steering links are no big loss as the stockers are too flexable. Good luck
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If you don't want an insane build I'd recommend the MRC PRO. I also looked at used to save money but for the price the pro seemed like a better deal. Most everything you really need has been taken care of already. I know the pro isn't cool because it doesn't have aftermarket everything but it works great.

If you're going to run an aftermarket everything it might be cheaper to build it from parts, but in my mind that's an insane build. I guess it depends on how you define an insane build.

In my 28 years in the rc hobby it's always been way more expensive to build from individual parts. When people start looking at it they tend to forget about certain sized screws, bearings, little spacers etc. and next thing you know your project cost has doubled. If you didn't already take the manual and check prices part for part including screws etc. do it. I was a long way from having what I needed when I hit the $230 a pro costs. What about shocks? That's something I originally didn't think about.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Keep asking questions, buy a star and check out the for sale section. Personally I would piece it together and take my time doing it. Unless you are the instant gratification type.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

180$ shipped. Its got the gc3 and some mud slingers in the for sale section if its not sold
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input. After looking, it seems like the Pro is the way to go if I don't want to really change anything, but still have a great crawler. Lost a Pro on ebay at $169. I knew I should have went higher...oh well. A regular mini seems okay, but somewhat of a waste because of all the parts and electronics that need to be replaced to get something decent. I might buy a star to check out the FS section. Thanks again.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Thanks for the input. After looking, it seems like the Pro is the way to go if I don't want to really change anything, but still have a great crawler. Lost a Pro on ebay at $169. I knew I should have went higher...oh well. A regular mini seems okay, but somewhat of a waste because of all the parts and electronics that need to be replaced to get something decent. I might buy a star to check out the FS section. Thanks again.
definatly buy a star

do yo have a radio?the rtr kit comes with a radio that is glitch free and will take care of you for a while,the rx is very durable and will last yrs.

The pro will need all electronics,including a radio,so that bumps the price alot if you dont already ahve one.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote