Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Stock chassis weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Stock chassis weight

Hey so I'm designing a chassis for my MRC, does anyone know the weight of one side of the stock chassis? I'd like to compare it to my design so I can tweak thicknesses and material. Also I'm extremely new to crawling and RC in general so I'll be tossing up pics and specs of my drawings soon to get any feedback.

Another question: Is anyone familiar with the material that the stock chassis is made of? It seems like a type of aluminum composite to me, but I really don't know.
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I'll just have to pull my chassis off again and weight it. Here are some CAD pics of the basic idea I want. I love the idea of having lots of freedom for adjustability.

There are already some things that I will want to change about the design that help the holes between the two separate parts match up better or even allow the shock mount add ons to mount in a rotated orientation.

Anyone have any input/criticism or things they wish that they had on their chassis?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks good but what about opening the middle up so u can keep it narrow
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Good suggestion, thanks I'll implement that. I didn't really like the cutouts that were on there anyway. I'll try to get some more pics up this evening when I get a chance to change it. If I do cut out the middle should I leave the top open also?
When I get finished with this I'll probably just leave the plans open source for anyone that wants to make one, so keep the suggestions coming.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

id leave the top i like to have my body posts in the middle like on the design n did u think of a skid for it yet?
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I haven't thought of a skid yet. I like the idea of keeping the hole pattern used for the stock skid to allow the use of that one, but since the holes aren't in a straight line its not as easy to fashion a homemade skid plate and have it line up right. So i'll add another set of mounting holes that would be in a straight line.

Also super noob question:
does everyone always mount the tranny on the skid? From what I understand the tranny mount and skid plate are the same part. I know thats at least the case for the stock mount. Or would it be useful to have a skid underneath the stock mount?

The answer is probably super obvious to you guys but not to me.

*edit: I realized that for making it narrower you couldn't use the stock skid so thats a reason to make it able to accept a custom skid.

Last edited by Getrag; 03-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to tear down my MRC so I can get some more measurements to help me make some decisions.
Here is a quick CAD update that has the middle cut out with the top bar left on.
Note the upper holes in red are where I currently have my shocks mounted on the stock chassis, this is not the stock mounting location, rather the location where the posts are on the body. ( I did the common mount the shocks where the body posts are)
And the lower red holes are the stock upper link locations.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok so here is the chassis I'm going to make, and after trying it out I'll make some tweaks. Depending on how much metal I get I might make 4 or 5 sets and maybe I'll be able to toss a few out to some of you guys as long as I can get some feed back from you

I'll let you know how much material I get and how many sets I'll be making.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Could just be me, but aren't those upper link holes kind of high?
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The middle ones should be the same as the stock holes relative to the skid mount holes. I'll have to double check though.

I got material today, probably enough for 5-7 sets.
I got some .125" thick 6061 T6 aluminum and some .090" thick 5052 aluminum.

I probably won't be able to get around to making them until early or mid next week though. I'll have to see how time pans out.