Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: DIY Losi Mini Crawler beadlocks, STEEL vs PVC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default DIY Losi Mini Crawler beadlocks, STEEL vs PVC

I'm sure almost everyone is aware of the PVC pipe method to convert stock MRC rims to beadlocks (if not, do a search - lots of info). I decided to make them out of steel instead so they also serve the function of weighting the front axle.

Note that 2" ID STEEL pipe is a little too small to fit around the rim (PVC is OK), so to reduce rim diameter I put a long bolt with nut through the center of the rim, then after inserting bolt in a cordless drill I lightly touched the spinning rim edge on a metal file.

Photo doesn't show the 2 holes drilled in spacer to let air in/out, and beveled edges to help prevent tire damage.

Here are the weights:

Weight of 1 wheel assembly with STEEL spacer and foam: 229g (8.1oz)
Weight of 1 wheel assembly with PVC spacer and NO foam: 84g (2.9 oz)

Breakdown (per 1 wheel):
Tire: 46 grams
Foam: 1g
Two lock rings: 5g
Rim with lock ring nuts: 20g (19g after making OD slightly smaller)
STEEL spacer: 158g
PVC spacer: 13g

Dimensions:
Steel Spacer: 2" ID, 2.5" OD, 18mm wide
PVC Spacer (sched. 40): 2.047" ID (no need to shave rim), 2.375 OD, 18mm wide.

Note, most online instructions say to cut the spacer 3/4" wide ( 19.05mm). I found this too wide resulting in too much pressure being applied to lock ring and bolts. So I reduced it to 18mm. PVC may be a little more forgiving in width since it'll flex more.

Sorry for the mixed measurements, I'm in Canada and used to using both imperial and metric.

I found it a little too front heavy so I moved the stock nimh battery from the front axle to the rear - which now provides much better balance.

If I had to do anything differently it would be to make them out of brass so there would be no rust issues, and play with the OD so they're not as heavy. Then I would run a lipo on front axle.

If I didn't have access to materials and a machine ship, I would just use PVC and stick on weights... same result, 10x easier.

GWEEDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Good work

RickM asked about doing just this - using metal pipe instead of PVC, so I'm sure he'll be interested.

Nice write up and pictures too.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote