Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: new to the mrc and already got problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new to the mrc and already got problems

hello all i recently bought the mrc pro roller while it was on sale at horizon hobby parts are listed here
esc associated micro xps
servo futaba 3003
radio novak polaris 75mghz am(eventually to be spectrum)
motor team losi frenzy 370
battery 1600 nimh
ok so i know this is far from pro spec level but im mostly a basher i will probably never use this in a comp but i am having trouble getting a pinion that will mesh with the spur without the grub screw hitting the spur gear so for now the only pinion i have in my parts is 18t so i have a ton of unneeded wheel speed also i am having trouble with my front right wheel hitting the servo mount and grinding so i am not getting a full steer to the right

i did use the search button to try and find this stuff and a didnt not find what i was looking for
please help me if you can i have not been in crawling very long the only other crawler i have is a modded txt-1 but its different than this small scale stuff
boneskid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you and i are in the same boat. I bought one last week and im having the same problems. Im using a losi insane 370 motor and i only have about 2/3 of the set screw on the motor shaft so it will barely clear the spur gear. I also had the same problem with the tire hitting the servo. Im using a hitec 645. I ended up center mounting, using a metal servo arm and the shorter drag link. I should be starting a build thread tonight after i get off of work...so you can see pics if you wanted too...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Welcome to the neighborhood. Post up pics so we can see your issues and better help you. The pinion might be better flipped or you might not have the right kindof pinion. Also the front wheel rubbing may simply be something a dremel can fix! A bunch of guys including me run the red junfac wideners. Be careful when tightening them as they are designed for a larger axle pin. Most importantly be careful with those cvd axles. They tend to get stressed under serious power while turning and snap. Sometimes limited steering is never a bad thing.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i ended up grinding the back of the pinion a bit so it would fit but the servo may have to be grinded down as well i will try to post pics tomorrow as i am busy the rest of the night but also what is some good gear recommendations with the stock 60t spur gear

thanks
boneskid
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It appears most brushed motors need a spacer plate between the motor & motor mount.
As noted, another option is modifying pinion gears, but that sucks when you lose one at a comp and nobody has a similar modded pinion with the same tooth count.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
5th D Owner/Driver

If you want to run larger pinions (17T +) try using the 58T spur gear from part #LOSB1068 spur gear bag. Robinson Racing makes pinions that work just fine without the grub screw hitting, like the 19T pinion #1619.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

ok so i ran out of time to post pics of my problem but i have another question does the carbon fiber on the chassis have to be sealed with anything i read an article that said to use super glue but does it have to happen?
Thanks,
Boneskid
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
5th D Owner/Driver

When I ran mine without the CA glue I did crack the front bottom edge of the chassis. Since CA glueing I've beat the piss out of it with no issues.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

ok i think i might glue it then
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

sorry for thew double post but here are some pics of my steering problem and my new body paint

Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I would put some small flat washers between the servo ears and the mounting screws, this will help prevent breaking the servo case.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Mine just barely rubs. Not enough to even bother with.
I just turned down the EPA a bit.
XRMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

tone down your epa's a lil and you'll be golden!!
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i ended up turning the epa down but now i don't have as much steering to the right but it doesn't really matter because i don't compete also the servo ears look chewed up because i had to oval them a bit to get the screws to go through and i never cleaned it up
Old 06-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
mgb

I am running into the same issue with the steering, may have to make a servo mount that is more in the center of the axle. Nice paint job .
mgb is offline   Reply With Quote