Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC pro roller vs. my hopped up oldie ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MRC pro roller vs. my hopped up oldie ?

Was thinking about picking up the pro roller since they are blowing them out everywhere right now but had a couple questions. I've already got a slightly hopped up MRC and was wondering if I could/should interchange a couple things.

Does the Pro have metal lockers F/R/M ? If not, Im assuming mine will drop right in from my old MRC.

Are the CV drive shafts on the pro better than my MIP CVD's I've already got? Will the MIPs fit on the pro if I want to swap?

The Pro doesn't have the nice alloy losi beadlocks does it??? I'm assuming they are plastic.

Thanks for any info!
JEB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The pro does have the lockers.
Im pretty sure the driveshafts are the same.
Beadlocks are plastic I do believe. I just got my pro roller today.
Very nice unit.

I need someone to tell me what the CA glue is.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
5th D Owner/Driver

It has metal lockers F/R/M. The Losi cvd's hold up fine in the Pro Rollers but you can swap in the MIP's if needed. Wheels are plastic but are functional beadlocks.
For CA glue just use some from the hobby store used to glue wheels and tires.

Last edited by cboggs; 06-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info. I may swap the MIPs in...I paid a few bucks for those things a while back.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I had a regular MRC also before getting the pro roller.
What you will want to switch over depends on what you have done to your regular MRC already.

Pro Chassis is much better so if you are still using the old chassis you will want to switch to the pro.

Pro Chassis uses 4 link suspension front and rear which is better than the 3 link that the regular MRC uses.

If you haven't done a zero ackerman steering mod to your regular mrc you will want to just take and use the entire axle / knuckles from the Pro roller. The steering improvements are AMAZING over the regular MRC.

So again, depending on what you've modded you might just take your electronics and throw them on the new pro roller and you will notice a huge difference in performance.
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post
I had a regular MRC also before getting the pro roller.
What you will want to switch over depends on what you have done to your regular MRC already.

Pro Chassis is much better so if you are still using the old chassis you will want to switch to the pro.

Pro Chassis uses 4 link suspension front and rear which is better than the 3 link that the regular MRC uses.

If you haven't done a zero ackerman steering mod to your regular mrc you will want to just take and use the entire axle / knuckles from the Pro roller. The steering improvements are AMAZING over the regular MRC.

So again, depending on what you've modded you might just take your electronics and throw them on the new pro roller and you will notice a huge difference in performance.
Sounds like I'm just going to pull the drive shafts and electronics off my old one and drop them into the pro. Any battery suggestions if I'm going to be running my hitec 5645 full size servo on that tray? I'm sure there's a better substitute similar sized instead of the overpriced Losi lipo.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

In the process of swapping some parts off my old MRC tuber and....

what the heck size hex wrench do I need to remove the tiny bolts on the new pro? It is the smaller bolts that hold the links to the chassis. I've tried every hex wrench I have, metric and sae, and none seem to fit?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB21 View Post
In the process of swapping some parts off my old MRC tuber and....

what the heck size hex wrench do I need to remove the tiny bolts on the new pro? It is the smaller bolts that hold the links to the chassis. I've tried every hex wrench I have, metric and sae, and none seem to fit?
You need a .050" hex wench. This used to be the standard set screw size for pinion gears many years ago.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yeah that was the one thing I didn't like about the pro roller when I first got it... the tiny hardware.
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yeah that was the one thing I didn't like about the pro roller when I first got it... the tiny hardware.
I'll 2nd that.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
You need a .050" hex wench. This used to be the standard set screw size for pinion gears many years ago.
I've tried a nice Bondhus .50 ball hex and it fits really loose. It's not breaking them free and I don't want to bung the heads up???
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I will 3rd that.
Its crazy that it is that small, and they didnt send any tools with it
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #13

Yea. I hate the .050 heads too so I was thinking to just swap all the screws from my old rtr to the pro. Don't know why losi would do that
generem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've tried a nice Bondhus .50 ball hex and it fits really loose. It's not breaking them free and I don't want to bung the heads up???
Those are really bad wrenches in that size, use a straight hex not a ball. Ball wrenches are great for ruining screw heads.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Those are really bad wrenches in that size, use a straight hex not a ball. Ball wrenches are great for ruining screw heads.
I was starting to realize that, digging through the tool box now...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Even good wrenches of that size can cause problems. My good .050 tip snapped off in a MIP drive coupler. Now I either try to drill it out or cut it off.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

anyone recommend a full size servo mount with the 4 link mounting built in?

Doesn't look like RCBros has this anymore and I just pulled the servo tray and realized the mounting tabs for the links are built into it. I was hoping to use my old RC bros full size aluminum servo mount to center the servo nicely. I want to run the battery on the links or rear axle.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
anyone recommend a full size servo mount with the 4 link mounting built in?

Doesn't look like RCBros has this anymore and I just pulled the servo tray and realized the mounting tabs for the links are built into it. I was hoping to use my old RC bros full size aluminum servo mount to center the servo nicely. I want to run the battery on the links or rear axle.
I never found one so I took a Pro rear mount, trimmed the lip off and sandwiched a CKRC servo plate on using longer screws.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
+1.
Actually, I try to NEVER use the ball end for breaking hardware free or torqueing them.
Use a clean ground hex for this. The ball end is only really good for spinning hardware in/out to snug.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I never found one so I took a Pro rear mount, trimmed the lip off and sandwiched a CKRC servo plate on using longer screws.
Thats what I was thinking about doing with the existing front mount, just taking a blade and dremel to it. Using a rear mount will prob be a bit better though, not as thick. Good idea.